Prognosis: Positive!

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I've been thinking deep thoughts coming out of the tournament, and this is what I thunk:

1. Coming into the tournament, the rational fan (i.e., not me) had to be seriously wondering whether this would be a lost season. Barely squeaking past the Pee [email protected], losing to Wagner AND Chattanooga AT HOME . . . the feeling in the pit of my stomach was the pits.

2. Welp, over the last couple of days, we beat a likely first weekend team, we were within 4 at 00:15 with a #1/2 seed, and took a 2d weekend team to OT. That's pretty, pretty good. Quite shocking, TBH.

3. We still have huge offensive issues. Ace's return will help and can't come soon enough; he'll get his own shot (I am convinced his offensive output last year was suppressed by Bones' presence, and that he will be a legit, reliable double digit scorer), and he will get other guys better shots, leading to an incremental improvement in the O overall. But we will get nowhere if we continue to shoot ~50% from the FT line, make carefree passes to people in the 4th row, make a hobby out of stepping on the end/sidelines etc. These are serious, consequential flaws that must be addressed for us to be anything. At all.

4. But we are a top 5 defense nationally (maybe #1).1/ Without a truly reliable scorer this weekend, we stood shoulder to shoulder with elite and near-elite basketball teams. Continued growth, the return of Ace, increasing roles for The Kids (PLEASE let's get Kern and DeLoach more minutes!), next year's class on the horizon . . . it's pretty heady stuff.

1/ https://barttorvik.com/trank.php?so...limit=All&year=2022&top=0&hteam=&quad=5&rpi=#

Beirne

Elite Member
Agreed. My thoughts after the past 3 days...

In baseball, there's a stat WAR, or Wins Above Replacement. Had Ace been playing, his WAR would've easily made up the difference in those games against Baylor and UConn. With a healthy Ace, we'd be coming home with the trophy!

Simply put, before Wednesday I was nervous that this was going to be a long season. After Friday, I'm excited and can't wait to see THIS team get back on the floor!

rammad90

Elite Member
N. Mollen,

I agree with all your points. I do believe that the shooting will come as long as we continue to play inside out. Levi has shown that he is a willing and capable passer and scorer in the paint he just needs the ball.

Our two freshmen guards will come into their own around mid to late January at the latest.

The shooting will come, our key players need to gain more experience and confidence.

Agreed Ace, even if not 100% or if his shoot is rusty, will make this team better because he will get guys better looks. Better looks lead to better percentage of shots made, which leads to more confidence, and more confidence in one's shot/performance leads to better shooting at the line.

Deloach's minutes are fine for now as he is a freshman and he needs work. Talent is there but he needs work. Best he earns those minutes in practice.

Finally, Ward and Tsohonis will both hit their stride. Marcus has been here before and it just getting acclimated and Ward has the talent to be GREAT. It will happen.

Will we lose games? Yes, but I see us in all the games and being competitive. Let's worry about next year, next year. We still have a lot of fight left and we still have a chance go getting to the big Dance.

Great post. Pretty sure you summed up what a lot of were feeling.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
Agreed. My thoughts after the past 3 days...

In baseball, there's a stat WAR, or Wins Above Replacement. Had Ace been playing, his WAR would've easily made up the difference in those games against Baylor and UConn. With a healthy Ace, we'd be coming home with the trophy!

Simply put, before Wednesday I was nervous that this was going to be a long season. After Friday, I'm excited and can't wait to see THIS team get back on the floor!
Agreed. I also think a health Ace and Jamir make Vince's stoke a bit better, and make it easier on the freshmen to perform. Those two guys are under pressure and getting better each game.

Ramdog

Elite Member
We have to clean up the turnovers and rebounding. Defense can't carry us if we keep giving up some many extra opportunities to our opponents.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Another positive I look at is St Bona is the ONLY team who is DEFINITELY better than us right now. I think there is a really good chance that they finish 15-3 or better in the A10 and 2nd - 9th place is jam packed from 13-5 to 8-10 between the likes of SLU, Richmond, VCU, Davidson, Dayton, Mason, Rhody, and UMass (in no particular order).

I also think a teams at-large profile can make you not enjoy watching your team. Even if we win out in the OOC, a 9-4 record with a couple of Q2 wins (Cuse & Vandy) ain’t getting us in the dance, but that is fine. If you get better by A10 play that is what matters.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I’m happy that we’ve improved some, but we did leave the Bahamas with only 1 win and a 3-4 record. Possibly no Q1 win opportunities this season other than St. Bonaventure. It’s going to be very tough to build an at-large NCAA resume. Getting better is important and having one of the best defenses in the country is awesome, but it doesn’t do a lot of good if we’re still on the outside looking in come March. We needed that win yesterday and we blew it.

vcuramfan22

Elite Member
A lot of positives, the future looks bright. This freshman class looks even more promising than years past, and next years class looks to be as well. I just hope everyone fully recovers from their injuries, Especially Jarren, Sherod tore his ACL in both knees, and has never been the same.

VCU85

Elite Member
The initial oh wo-es me posts about the dismal coming season pissed me off. The talent on the team is basically the same as last year without Bones, Ace ( currently), and Jamir.

Hopefully they all realize their defense is off the charts good, and will let that be the thing that feeds into the success they will most definitely have this season.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
A lot of positives, the future looks bright. This freshman class looks even more promising than years past, and next years class looks to be as well. I just hope everyone fully recovers from their injuries, Especially Jarren, Sherod tore his ACL in both knees, and has never been the same.
At least Jarren was super duper athletic before his injuries, so hopefully he'll remain one of our more athletic guys after he recovers. I'm more worried about Jamir.