Ram Nation TBT 2023 (help us do this up big)

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
By now I'm sure you all are aware of my obsession with the TBT (www.thetournament.com). It's been three years since we entered a Ram Nation team and really four since we entered one loaded with legit VCU players. The goal, after having some discussions with some VCU folks you all are familiar with, is to get SUPER organized to bring back the Ram Nation team next year, in 2023, which is why we are literally starting to attack that while 2022 TBT is being played. This tournament has really just grown where teams are having training camps, paying players and just upping the level of organization to something we would love to try and match.

There is an extreme amount of VCU talent that could potentially play. Guys like Treveon Graham, Troy Daniels, Justin Tillman, Briante Weber, Juvonte Reddic and just so many more that we are going to try and get commitments from a year out. It makes for a potential group of players that would no doubt be our most talented team yet and would also truly bleed black and gold. I know some of you all aren't big on the TBT, but to those of you who are, we'd love your early support so we can make this happen. I know it might feel a little crazy attacking this a year out, but when we do it that way, it not only helps us really get the guys we need to make a run for the title, but also helps us convince TBT to bring the games back to Richmond as well. I think there's a great shot at that with the West VA region having back-to-back years and potentially needing a break from that. With the talented VA and WV teams that could compete like Ram Nation (VCU), The Web (Richmond, Herd That (Marshall), Best Virginia (WVU) and HBCUnited (757-dominated), not to mention a UVA team that almost happened last year, we could really get TBT back here, which would not only be great for VCU fans, but great for our players because they would be back in town and have the BDC to practice at, basically like a lot of them are doing anyway, but this time as a team.

So if you are a TBT person who'd enjoy that, please consider a donation. This helps us get guys home, provides lodging for those who need it and a potential small stipend for their time. We'd also love to be organized with true sponsor opportunities, etc, so if you are any bit interested in that, please don't hesitate to reach out.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I watched the Rucker game and saw you on the bench. That was a bummer and I wanted you and Andrew's Skip to my Lou team to win.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I watched the Rucker game and saw you on the bench. That was a bummer and I wanted you and Andrew's Skip to my Lou team to win.

I think the challenge with that team is our whole team and staff literally didn’t all come together until two hours before our game. We didn’t practice once and we played a team who practiced an entire week leading up to the event and were coached by a current D1 conference coach of the year. Despite that and getting down 19 early, we ended up being up 5 and needing one made 3 to win it. Pissed we lost, but the second we lost I got a text from some folks saying we need to make Ram Nation happen, so here I am. I plan on being overly prepared next year though including having discussions to bring it to Richmond.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I think the challenge with that team is our whole team and staff literally didn’t all come together until two hours before our game. We didn’t practice once and we played a team who practiced an entire week leading up to the event and were coached by a current D1 conference coach of the year. Despite that and getting down 19 early, we ended up being up 5 and needing one made 3 to win it. Pissed we lost, but the second we lost I got a text from some folks saying we need to make Ram Nation happen, so here I am. I plan on being overly prepared next year though including having discussions to bring it to Richmond.
Unfortunately I don't have much to donate but I really hope you're able to get something going for next year. We've got a lot of professional-level talent available so I'm pretty excited about potential lineups.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Related note: one thing I learned from this year was De'Monte Buckingham should've (and could've) been a VCU Ram. GREAT guy, can obviously hoop and I really wish that would've happened. Ended up with coach Jones and coach Lind to finish things out at UNCG (and had a killer season), but would've been fun to see him end his college career in the black and gold.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Also just for fun, potential 2023 starters for a Ram Nation team if we were to get everyone we want...

PG - Briante Weber
SG - Troy Daniels
SF - Treveon Graham
PF - Justin Tillman
C - Juvonte Reddic

There are so many other talented players who could potentially suit up for that TBT team, but that group in potential would essentially be taking the 2015 A-10 tourney champs team that was a top-30 team nationally, then adding Troy Daniels, Juvonte Reddic and Justin Tillman to it. That's nuts. These guys all know how to run a system together too. The bench could be absolutely nuts as well with guys like JeQuan Lewis, Marcus Evans, De'Riante Jenkins, Justin Tuoyo (?), etc. Would be serious squad.

Who would you start?

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Also just for fun, potential 2023 starters for a Ram Nation team if we were to get everyone we want...

PG - Briante Weber
SG - Troy Daniels
SF - Treveon Graham
PF - Justin Tillman
C - Juvonte Reddic

There are so many other talented players who could potentially suit up for that TBT team, but that group in potential would essentially be taking the 2015 A-10 tourney champs team that was a top-30 team nationally, then adding Troy Daniels, Juvonte Reddic and Justin Tillman to it. That's nuts. These guys all know how to run a system together too. The bench could be absolutely nuts as well with guys like JeQuan Lewis, Marcus Evans, De'Riante Jenkins, Justin Tuoyo (?), etc. Would be serious squad.

Who would you start?
I would start JeQuan.

Ramball

Elite Member
Insider
I would add one local guy also.

PG - Tyrese Rice
SG - Troy Daniels
SF - Treveon Graham
PF - Justin Tillman
C - Juvonte Reddic

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

PG - Briante Weber
SG - Troy Daniels
SF - Treveon Graham
PF - Justin Tillman
C - Juvonte Reddic

Who would you start?
I can't really argue with that lineup, except I'd probably start Justin Tuoyo at center over Juvonte Reddic. Honestly, though, we'd have an incredible amount of depth (just like a typical VCU team) and any of those players could start.

If we could get Briante, JeQuan, and Marcus on the roster, we'd absolutely be set at PG.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I wouldn’t start either one of them if I had Tillman on my team. He’d be my five and I’d run a smaller lineup with lots of shooters/scorers.

Lewis
Daniels
Jenkins
Graham
Tillman

That’s more than enough size for TBT.
Yep and Treveon works the glass so it would be fine. Heavy minutes for JeQuan would be the best bet too.