TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
So.....I just went back and listened to the May MR show to see if my memory was correct. In May, MR stated the plan was to redshirt BMB. Wes even referenced the upcoming discussion around a one time transfer waiver and MR still felt BMB would be better served to spend a year getting better.

Now obviously, no one imagined that they(NCAA) would give additional eligibility(something MR didn't seem to be excited about or at least stated he needed more information in October). So on the one hand, it is nice that BMB can get some true run and still have two more years to contribute after the development MR mentioned. At the same time, that means that someone(s) will be playing less minutes. Just curious what was a deciding factor in requesting and getting a waiver.

........Now if someone leaves after the first semester.........

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So.....I just went back and listened to the May MR show to see if my memory was correct. In May, MR stated the plan was to redshirt BMB. Wes even referenced the upcoming discussion around a one time transfer waiver and MR still felt BMB would be better served to spend a year getting better.

Now obviously, no one imagined that they(NCAA) would give additional eligibility(something MR didn't seem to be excited about or at least stated he needed more information in October). So on the one hand, it is nice that BMB can get some true run and still have two more years to contribute after the development MR mentioned. At the same time, that means that someone(s) will be playing less minutes. Just curious what was a deciding factor in requesting and getting a waiver.

........Now if someone leaves after the first semester.........

With him getting an extra year of eligibility, you aren't losing anything by having him eligible this year. Coach Rhoades can play him as much, or as little, as he wants and still get two more years out of him. To me that's a win, win. Just like Hasan Ward getting an extra year of eligibility is a win, win. And foul trouble/bench depth down low definitely shouldn't be a problem this season with one more big body available.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Not real jacked about it. He is tall. I want more minutes for Ward, not less.

Who says Ward is going to get less minutes? You are making a huge assumption. Foul trouble will dictate how much time the big bodies get this year probably more than anything else. And it gives VCU so many more options regarding lineups. VCU could easily go big with two big bodies down low and three guards.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
With him getting an extra year of eligibility, you aren't losing anything by having him eligible this year. Coach Rhoades can play him as much, or as little, as he wants and still get two more years out of him. To me that's a win, win. Just like Hasan Ward getting an extra year of eligibility is a win, win. And foul trouble/bench depth down low definitely shouldn't be a problem this season with one more big body available.
I completely agree. I was just noting even if he plays one min a game that is one less minute someone else plays. Just an observation, nothing more nothing less

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I think it's a no-brainer to play BMB this year so long as he still get's two additional years. This will give him an opportunity to experience major D-I basketball in real-time without losing a year of eligibility. While he is getting acclimated to this level of competition he can also help us and provide quality depth. He will attain a first hand understanding of what part of his game he needs to work hard on. It's basically a free year.

Without the extra year factored in I have no doubt Mike would have gone with a red-shirt year. This is simply a gift.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Although it will take time there is a chance BMB could really help this year. He averaged a double-double in conference games last year and if memory serves me correct his game came together and he went on a real tear his last 10-12 games last season. Even in this dysfunctional preseason if he has put in the work he could be of some help. I'll take all the weapons I can.

Who_Dat_Ninja

Top Member
Dec 3, 2016
Nice problem to have in terms of playing time. We've been begging for years to have depth and true size in the frontcourt. This is the biggest VCU team I can remember. Are we now the biggest team in the A10?
Love it! Having a true shot blocker at the rim changes everything with our defense on the outside...

We’ve given up so many layups in the paint over the past few years...

Nov 4, 2011
I counted just the past 10 years rosters and considered a big anyone 6'7 and taller. Also included Mo, he was listed at 6'6 and then grew to 6'7 (ehh?), and even included the guys like Reco McCarter who were listed at 6'7 but were hardly a big. Most years we had 3-4 guys over 6'7, this year we will have 6. Height doesn't mean much unless you use it well, but our true bigs are well over 6'7 and long. On top of that, I think Jamir and MBJ will be great smaller lineup bigs, perfect 4s, and can really play the 5 due to their frames if necessary. We have a lot of front court depth and it's something we've really never seen.

Mar 2, 2014
Who says Ward is going to get less minutes? You are making a huge assumption. Foul trouble will dictate how much time the big bodies get this year probably more than anything else. And it gives VCU so many more options regarding lineups. VCU could easily go big with two big bodies down low and three guards.
No one said it and I am making an assumption because we just added another player to the rotation who happens to play the same position unless Ward is moving to the 4. So who is the odd man out? I can't see 4 guys playing at the 5.