Nov 4, 2011
No one said it and I am making an assumption because we just added another player to the rotation who happens to play the same position unless Ward is moving to the 4. So who is the odd man out? I can't see 4 guys playing at the 5.

Certainly depends on match-ups, but on the defensive end could be a great way to clog the paint around the basket by playing Corey/Levi, Has/BMB, or some mix of that. On top of that, could result in a different offensive approach with a more conventional 3 out-2 in style vs. the 4 out 1 in we've grown accustomed to. Gives you a lot of options and maybe BMB rides the bench as he acclimates to this level, but I don't see Big Has being negatively impacted that much if his output is matching his potential, which he certainly has a ton of.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Not real jacked about it. He is tall. I want more minutes for Ward, not less.
The minutes shake out to who performs and helps us win, isn't that the goal? BMB and Ward offer different things. Ward flies up and down the court and over people with springs and that is not the game you are going to see from BMB. He will be able to post up and create a target for an entry pass without it being an ally-oop and also will be effective in a high-low set feeding it down low or swinging it opposite. I think we really were planning on him developing another year during sit out and the no cost year as to eligibility grants him the same thing and some opportunity on the floor. It's a win- win.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Not real jacked about it. He is tall. I want more minutes for Ward, not less.
Well, VCU was hurt by lack of rebounding last year. Bacon-Medley averaged over double digits in rebounding so he could help. Hard to tell until he hits the floor. That is unless you or anyone else followed the MEAC or Coppin State and knows otherwise. I am in the dark when it comes to his skillset so I am interested in seeing him play. He will most likely begin with minimal minutes giving Ward and Douglas breathers. If he shows that he can rebound and block shots at the rate he did at Coppin State he will be an integral piece in the rotation.

Reactions: N Mollen and SWV

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I think having that extra big body is going to be nice for depth, but y'all know me, I gotta bring up the numbers, both good and bad...

The Good
7'1 240
- That's just one of those things ya can't coach
8.5% - BMB's blocks percentage last season. That would've put him third on last year's Rams behind Ward (10.1% and Douglas 8.9%)
13.5% - His total assist rate last season. That's a very nice number for a big man.

The Bad
Sub-50% true shooting %
(twice) - Honestly I'm not sure how you do that as a 7'1 player in the MEAC. He was 48.4% on the year last season and 48.7% as a frosh. Was improved in conference play (52.4% and 57.9%), but he ain't playin in the MEAC anymore.
-4.6 offensive +/- last year - Tied for sixth on a really bad Coppin State team. Numbers aren't promising on the offensive end at all.
24.3% - That was his turnover rate last season at Coppin St., which is EXTREMELY high for a big man. Marcus Evans was 24.7% last season AS OUR POINT GUARD who struggled with TOs, so BMB has to reeeeally cut that back this year. None of our bigs were 20%+ last season and against a MUCH harder schedule than what BMB saw.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I think having that extra big body is going to be nice for depth, but y'all know me, I gotta bring up the numbers, both good and bad...

The Good
7'1 240
- That's just one of those things ya can't coach
8.5% - BMB's blocks percentage last season. That would've put him third on last year's Rams behind Ward (10.1% and Douglas 8.9%)
13.5% - His total assist rate last season. That's a very nice number for a big man.

The Bad
Sub-50% true shooting %
(twice) - Honestly I'm not sure how you do that as a 7'1 player in the MEAC. He was 48.4% on the year last season and 48.7% as a frosh. Was improved in conference play (52.4% and 57.9%), but he ain't playin in the MEAC anymore.
-4.6 offensive +/- last year - Tied for sixth on a really bad Coppin State team. Numbers aren't promising on the offensive end at all.
24.3% - That was his turnover rate last season at Coppin St., which is EXTREMELY high for a big man. Marcus Evans was 24.7% last season AS OUR POINT GUARD who struggled with TOs, so BMB has to reeeeally cut that back this year. None of our bigs were 20%+ last season and against a MUCH harder schedule than what BMB saw.
What about his rebounding numbers in comparison to VCU's team last year?

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Well, VCU was hurt by lack of rebounding last year. Bacon-Medley averaged over double digits in rebounding so he could help. Hard to tell until he hits the floor. That is unless you or anyone else followed the MEAC or Coppin State and knows otherwise. I am in the dark when it comes to his skillset so I am interested in seeing him play. He will most likely begin with minimal minutes giving Ward and Douglas breathers. If he shows that he can rebound and block shots at the rate he did at Coppin State he will be an integral piece in the rotation.
He's demonstrated at a lower level that he can rebound, block shots and pass (he was 2d on the team in assists), and he really came on late last year for them. Usually, though not always, rebounding and shot blocking translate as you go up a level.

But the real point is that this is a free year. If he earns minutes he'll get them, and every D1 minute he plays this year will be a minute of D1 experience he otherwise would not have had when he plays next year, when we will need them. And if we have injuries, his ability to play could be exceptionally meaningful.

I for one am excited about having a legit 7 footer who has demonstrated some real skill. It has been a long, long time since we had a 7 footer, and I really can't remember a skilled one on our squad.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
The front court has transitioned from an absolute sieve inside, to be a group that is long, deep and active on the back end of the defense. Offense will be a work in progress, but will be nice to have bigs that will set real picks to get other guys free—should benefit Bones a ton.

Other benefit is this new found depth will likely benefit Vince more than anyone, he can move from being a small 4 to a rangy and tough 3.

Lot’s of unknowns as to how this team will gel—but we will not get bullied and beaten on the inside, step in the right direction.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The front court has transitioned from an absolute sieve inside, to be a group that is long, deep and active on the back end of the defense. Offense will be a work in progress, but will be nice to have bigs that will set real picks to get other guys free—should benefit Bones a ton.

Other benefit is this new found depth will likely benefit Vince more than anyone, he can move from being a small 4 to a rangy and tough 3.

Lot’s of unknowns as to how this team will gel—but we will not get bullied and beaten on the inside, step in the right direction.

The other tangible no one has mention is having Bacon-Medley eligible this season brings added depth down low that will offset even more the loss of MSS to Texas Tech and will potentially take even more pressure off of the back court. Last June, after MSS walked, this team was in big trouble down low. Not so much now, though.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
He's demonstrated at a lower level that he can rebound, block shots and pass (he was 2d on the team in assists), and he really came on late last year for them. Usually, though not always, rebounding and shot blocking translate as you go up a level.

But the real point is that this is a free year. If he earns minutes he'll get them, and every D1 minute he plays this year will be a minute of D1 experience he otherwise would not have had when he plays next year, when we will need them. And if we have injuries, his ability to play could be exceptionally meaningful.

I for one am excited about having a legit 7 footer who has demonstrated some real skill. It has been a long, long time since we had a 7 footer, and I really can't remember a skilled one on our squad.

I agree. I think the germane point that some are missing with respect to BMB is that his game really started to take-off during conference play and particularly his last 10-12 games. This typifies what often happens with the big guys other than the few elite bigs. It often takes time for their game to grow into their bodies. We have all witnessed this many times. I am looking for progression. With the extra year under his belt, a good big-man coach mentoring him, the BDC, and a phenomenal weight training program available to him he may really become a major rotational piece albeit it may take time. Having him for three years after him already having played two years of D-I ball may turn-out to be a major blessing. You must think outside the box when in pursuit of 7'+ guys.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
In BMB's last game of the season he scored 20 points, had 13 boards, and blocked 5 shots. He was the defensive POY in his conference. That coupled with his strong showing down the stretch and his double-double in conference play is notable at any level of D-I. There is no telling how much his game may progress in the next three years if he works hard. A lot of upside for the big fella.