DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
I think he can play at a pretty high level at a place where 1) they play a more traditional 5 and 2) there are minutes available for him to get real game work in. There are some pretty good programs graduating some traditional 5's without having a definite replacement ready to step in. There could be some good opportunities for him. Best to him, hope he finds a great place.
Possibilities are almost endless out there this offseason for sure. I'm sure the coaching staff would have had him out there more if it was a good fit but he just wasn't ready for what we do this season. In 53 total minutes played he had 7 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks. That won't be too difficult to improve upon next season wherever he goes.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Possibilities are almost endless out there this offseason for sure. I'm sure the coaching staff would have had him out there more if it was a good fit but he just wasn't ready for what we do this season. In 53 total minutes played he had 7 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks. That won't be too difficult to improve upon next season wherever he goes.
yeah, it will be great for him if he lands somewhere that he gets 53 minutes in his first three games. If he can get 15-20/game and works hard he can be a good player for somewhere.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I think we should have a good idea well before then but you are right it was reported a month or two back that he wanted to come back but this offseason especially it feels like anything could happen.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that seniors who come back next season do NOT count against the scholarship limit. Thus, even if Stockard comes back, and I am fairly certain he is as of this moment, then we still have two scholarships available (Clark’s and Medley-Bacon’s).

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that seniors who come back next season do NOT count against the scholarship limit. Thus, even if Stockard comes back, and I am fairly certain he is as of this moment, then we still have two scholarships available (Clark’s and Medley-Bacon’s).
That is correct.

Reactions: CrozetRam

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I wish him luck. But how do guys like him hope to improve their game if they don't stay in one place long enough to learn the system?
I think its more about finding a system where you can grow and learn. Given what I saw from him on the court, our fast past, trapping, pressing, switching D and Motion O was too much for him.

There are places where he can use his 2 years and become a better player and have a solid career.

Good luck to him.

For us, we will pick up a good solid Big who is a better fit in the transfer market. Win, Win.

Last edited:

smiley4284

Top Member
Jul 7, 2011
Was this a player decision or coaching? Does it mean we opened up a spot for someone or blind sided?

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
As @WillWeaverRVA said, you're correct, but there is one subtlety. It's true only if the senior comes back to the same school. A senior who transfers to take advantage of their 5th year of eligibility counts against his new school's scholarship limit. So if Levi Stockard comes back to VCU, he doesn't count against our 13 scholarships, but Kellan Grady does count against UK's limit.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
As @WillWeaverRVA said, you're correct, but there is one subtlety. It's true only if the senior comes back to the same school. A senior who transfers to take advantage of their 5th year of eligibility counts against his new school's scholarship limit. So if Levi Stockard comes back to VCU, he doesn't count against our 13 scholarships, but Kellan Grady does count against UK's limit.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Did I Miss something? Did Mellon Grady go to Kentucky?