Reseating Thread

SpiderRAM

Insider
Aug 17, 2014
If your donation is the same, where is the $250 per seat ticket fee being absorbed? Are they reducing the price of season tickets by $250 to cover the fee?
We have 2 seats. We are giving the same amount but RAF is dividing it into $500 for that & the remainder for philanthropic donation. We will then also pay whatever the 2 tickets cost with my small staff discount.
That’s my plan. I just hope it’s safe to go to games in November. Will be reviewing it all with my husband this weekend before making the payment.

May 4, 2012
We have 2 seats. We are giving the same amount but RAF is dividing it into $500 for that & the remainder for philanthropic donation. We will then also pay whatever the 2 tickets cost with my small staff discount.
That’s my plan. I just hope it’s safe to go to games in November. Will be reviewing it all with my husband this weekend before making the payment.
Wear a mask, dont touch your face, dont eat and drink from a sealed bottle and wash your hands when you get home. This is simple people.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
If your donation is the same, where is the $250 per seat ticket fee being absorbed? Are they reducing the price of season tickets by $250 to cover the fee?
If a donor had 4 seats and was a Battering Ram last season, then he or she paid $10,000 plus the cost of season tickets.

That same donor this upcoming season will still pay $10,000 plus ticket prices for 4 seats as a Battering Ram donor. The only difference is the $10,000 is now divided between required donations for tickets of $1,000 ($250 each for 4 tickets), which is not tax deductible, and a philanthropic donation of $9,000, which may be tax deductible.

For almost every donor level, the minimum to be at that level was dropped by $1,000 to offset, at least for those with no more than 4 seats, the new $250 per ticket fee. This is being done in large part because of the 2018 tax law changes regarding the deductibility of required donations for season tickets.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

Riggo82

Insider
Jan 5, 2013
I just went to make our donation and it's a bit confusing. The way I read it on the donation page -- your required $250 donation per seat is not included toward your philanthropic donation, ram ranking or giving level/benefits.

Exact language: "A required gift of $250 per seat you plan to purchase for the 2020-21 Men’s Basketball season is needed to purchase season tickets. This fund does not go towards priority points or giving level. Priority points and giving level are determined by your giving to the Philanthropic Fund. Philanthropic giving can be added (separately) below."

For example, we have four seats. To get to Commonwealth Room passes, we must donate $1,000 (4x$250) and another $1,000 to get to the Black & Gold Society for a total of $2,000, excluding the cost of the ticket.

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I just went to make our donation and it's a bit confusing. The way I read it on the donation page -- your required $250 donation per seat is not included toward your philanthropic donation, ram ranking or giving level/benefits.

Exact language: "A required gift of $250 per seat you plan to purchase for the 2020-21 Men’s Basketball season is needed to purchase season tickets. This fund does not go towards priority points or giving level. Priority points and giving level are determined by your giving to the Philanthropic Fund. Philanthropic giving can be added (separately) below."

For example, we have four seats. To get to Commonwealth Room passes, we must donate $1,000 (4x$250) and another $1,000 to get to the Black & Gold Society for a total of $2,000, excluding the cost of the ticket.
This is exactly my point and how it was explained to the original Capital Campaign members in an e-mail we received. If you are at the Black and Gold Society level, your level of giving increases $250 for every season ticket you purchase. If you purchase 4 season tickets, then your level of giving is going up $1,000 per year.

Riggo82

Insider
Jan 5, 2013
This is exactly my point and how it was explained to the original Capital Campaign members in an e-mail we received. If you are at the Black and Gold Society level, your level of giving increases $250 for every season ticket you purchase. If you purchase 4 season tickets, then your level of giving is going up $1,000 per year.
You would hope during this time on enormous uncertainty they would be finding ways to lower costs and not raising them on season ticket holders but I guess if we’re willing to pay what they charge then who can blame them.

May 4, 2012

Right, they just want more money.

May 5, 2009
I think for capital campaign members, the addition of $250 for each seat is effective for the 2021-2020 season?

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
It depends on how much you gave previously.

My all in cost went up $1000 this year which is that per seat charge.
I know plenty of donors that are higher than me and they said they are paying the same too. Not sure why yours went up a grand.

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
For example: Instead of $5000 and no extra for tickets, you can stay at the same donor level and donate $4000 plus $1000 for 4 seats.

Now you can deduct the $4000 from your taxes. You couldn't deduct the $5000 the last 2 years because of the new tax rules.

I suppose if someone donates less but has more tickets it would go up. Guess that might be one of the reason for the changes. The new policy is meant to benefit the higher donors so they can get their tax deduction. It might screw the lower level donors. The $250 per ticket is meant to count as paying for the benefits and the $4000 is now a pure donation. A lot of ADs are doing this.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
I will say though that some like @ShoeSh1ne did go up. The entire thing has not been explained too well if you ask me. Luckily I am not getting the hit hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: SZQ VCU