Reseating Thread

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
I think the AD of course wants more money, but due to the Covid-19 situation, they have backed off the accelerator a bit this year. They are letting donors who had over 6 seats prior to maintain the extra seat (walking back the original statement that 6 seats are the max for this reseat). They kept perks the same for the groups, and even removed the donor zones so now people can sit wherever they want when it is there turn to select a seat.
It's a pretty bad time to write a check for anything, but if there was ever a time to support the community, organizations or each other -it is now. And I am sure VCU appreciates those that kept giving this year despite all the uncertainty.
Some people will have to sit this one out for circumstances beyond there control. there is no shame to that. There should be plenty of opportunities to comeback next year. In the meantime, it would be a great time for some of the folks that didn't lose a lot during this shut down to share there tickets next season with people that got hit a little harder.

BigTimeRamFan

Top Member
Jan 4, 2011
After many phone calls back and forth with VCU over the last month, I finally got a definitive answer to a question. If there is no season or a partial season or any combination there of, donations will not push to the following season. Only ticket money would be reimbursed. Also, the reseating is not a done deal. There is still discussion to table it until next season or modify it next year. They are waiting to see what happens with their numbers in June. It's a horrible time to reseat in my opinion. It demonstrates a lack of understanding or consideration of the conditions that are current.

Last edited:

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
After many phone calls back and forth with VCU over the last month, I finally got a definitive answer to a question. If there is no season or a partial season or any combination there of, my donation will not push to the following season. Only ticket money, to include the $250 per ticket up front, would be reimbursed. Also, the reseating is not a done deal. There is still discussion to table it until next season or modify it next year. They are waiting to see what happens with their numbers in June. It's a horrible time to reseat in my opinion.
Good information! I thought that it was a bad time to re-seat too. But then I got to thinking, is the fact that it is a reseating year relevant? Or is is just a bad time to to give money and buy things like basketball tickets -especially since the season is in question. How does reseating make it worse? It definitely feels worse to me (the reseating) but am I missing something on how? If we weren't reseating but were requiring donations for the right to buy season tickets makes it a better option? I am in interested in other people's opinions.

Last edited:

Ramaste

Top Member
Mar 25, 2012
Good information! I thought that it was a bad time to re-seat too. But then I got to thinking, is the fact that it is a reseating year relevant? Or is is just a bad time to to give money and buy things like basketball tickets -especially since the season is in question. How does reseating make it worse? It definitely feels worse to me (the reseating) but am I missing something on how just requiring donations for the right to buy season tickets makes it a better option? I am in interested in other people's opinions.
In my situation, if we don't reseat, I will have to maintain my current donation level to keep my pretty decent seats. If we reseat under the announced plan, I can get away with donating less, roll the dice, and probably end up with as good or better seats.

Mar 2, 2014
I hope there is a reseating while those of us interested in maintaining our donations and ponying up get better seats!
If not, open it up so those that did come back can get the seats from those who made the choice not to come back.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
After many phone calls back and forth with VCU over the last month, I finally got a definitive answer to a question. If there is no season or a partial season or any combination there of, donations will not push to the following season. Only ticket money would be reimbursed. Also, the reseating is not a done deal. There is still discussion to table it until next season or modify it next year. They are waiting to see what happens with their numbers in June. It's a horrible time to reseat in my opinion. It demonstrates a lack of understanding or consideration of the conditions that are current.
Maybe Ed is waiting to see if he gets the BC job. :roll:

Re-seating this year is just bad look for the athletic department. You have other schools dropping sports and taking operational/pay cuts to make it through this, and VCU's answer to the problem is to move forward with a re-seating. I may have missed it, but I have yet to see the VCU athletic department take any voluntary pay cuts like other schools. If VCU can dole out $11 million for the Greyhound land near the Diamond for the athletic village, then they can push back re-seating until times are better financially for EVERYONE.

Reactions: wavevcu

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
It depends on how much you gave previously.

My all in cost went up $1000 this year which is that per seat charge.
This might be a dumb question but why can’t you just lower your donation to offset the $250 per seat charge?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
This might be a dumb question but why can’t you just lower your donation to offset the $250 per seat charge?
What many posters are missing is many season ticket holders donate the minimum at their respective level in order to qualify for that level. If you are donating at the minimum level in order to qualify for your seats in that section, you will now have to pay an additional $250 per seat to maintain that level of giving. This is not rocket science. People reach for the highest possible level of giving they can in order to get the best seats. As an example, I'll guarantee you most season ticket holders in the $7,000 per year RAF section aren't paying much more, if at all, than that $7,000 to qualify for those seats. In the new re-seating, if you are paying $7,000 to qualify for those seats, you will be paying an additional $250 per seat rights fees to maintain those seats in that level. If you have 4 seats, then you are now paying $8,000 per year in order to qualify for your seats.

Trust me, the athletic department knows most season ticket holders pay the minimum at their respective giving levels and sees this as a way to generate more income.

Reactions: Ramaholic

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Good information! I thought that it was a bad time to re-seat too. But then I got to thinking, is the fact that it is a reseating year relevant? Or is is just a bad time to to give money and buy things like basketball tickets -especially since the season is in question. How does reseating make it worse? It definitely feels worse to me (the reseating) but am I missing something on how? If we weren't reseating but were requiring donations for the right to buy season tickets makes it a better option? I am in interested in other people's opinions.
I am fine with the reseating this year. It seems like I am in the same boat as @Ramaste. I have said for the last couple of years the school should move to a points style season ticket system like how some pro teams do things. Seeing how flexible that setup is something I would be very interested in. Lastly, I do want to say how helpful the staff has been walking me though the process over the phone.

Reactions: Ramaholic

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
What many posters are missing is many season ticket holders donate the minimum at their respective level in order to qualify for that level. If you are donating at the minimum level in order to qualify for your seats in that section, you will now have to pay an additional $250 per seat to maintain that level of giving. This is not rocket science. People reach for the highest possible level of giving they can in order to get the best seats. As an example, I'll guarantee you most season ticket holders in the $7,000 per year RAF section aren't paying much more, if at all, than that $7,000 to qualify for those seats. In the new re-seating, if you are paying $7,000 to qualify for those seats, you will be paying an additional $250 per seat rights fees to maintain those seats in that level. If you have 4 seats, then you are now paying $8,000 per year in order to qualify for your seats.

Trust me, the athletic department knows most season ticket holders pay the minimum at their respective giving levels and sees this as a way to generate more income.
To VCU's credit, they lowered the amount of those donor levels in most cases and they removed donor sections. that means when it is your turn to pick, you can pick the best seat available in the arena.
However, your view is more or less aligned with mine, VCU is anticipating getting more money from this $250 fee for seat change and that now is not a good time to push a deadline for purchasing seats for a season that may not even happen.

ShoeSh1ne

Insider
Mar 7, 2009
I know plenty of donors that are higher than me and they said they are paying the same too. Not sure why yours went up a grand.
I usually donated $1000. To keep at that level, I'll need to donate the same + normal ticket prices and now + seat fee.

I'd drop below my usual donation rank, so I'd pick later and get less priority points.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
If there is no season or a partial season or any combination there of, donations will not push to the following season. Only ticket money would be reimbursed.
So I am guessing the 250$ per ticket fee is also not reimbursed in that scenario, correct?