Reseating Thread

Riggo82

Insider
Jan 5, 2013
After many phone calls back and forth with VCU over the last month, I finally got a definitive answer to a question. If there is no season or a partial season or any combination there of, donations will not push to the following season. Only ticket money would be reimbursed. Also, the reseating is not a done deal. There is still discussion to table it until next season or modify it next year. They are waiting to see what happens with their numbers in June. It's a horrible time to reseat in my opinion. It demonstrates a lack of understanding or consideration of the conditions that are current.
In terms of donations, and if that is the case, I don’t know why they can’t be transparent about it before people give. The FAQ completely punts the question and we contacted the department and got no response. Just tell us the facts so everyone can make informed decisions.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

SpiderRAM

Insider
Aug 17, 2014
I think the AD of course wants more money, but due to the Covid-19 situation, they have backed off the accelerator a bit this year. They are letting donors who had over 6 seats prior to maintain the extra seat (walking back the original statement that 6 seats are the max for this reseat). They kept perks the same for the groups, and even removed the donor zones so now people can sit wherever they want when it is there turn to select a seat.
It's a pretty bad time to write a check for anything, but if there was ever a time to support the community, organizations or each other -it is now. And I am sure VCU appreciates those that kept giving this year despite all the uncertainty.
Some people will have to sit this one out for circumstances beyond there control. there is no shame to that. There should be plenty of opportunities to comeback next year. In the meantime, it would be a great time for some of the folks that didn't lose a lot during this shut down to share there tickets next season with people that got hit a little harder.
They removed the donor zones so that donors can get a tax deduction for the philanthropic donation.

beachmom

Top Member
Aug 12, 2016
What many posters are missing is many season ticket holders donate the minimum at their respective level in order to qualify for that level. If you are donating at the minimum level in order to qualify for your seats in that section, you will now have to pay an additional $250 per seat to maintain that level of giving. This is not rocket science. People reach for the highest possible level of giving they can in order to get the best seats. As an example, I'll guarantee you most season ticket holders in the $7,000 per year RAF section aren't paying much more, if at all, than that $7,000 to qualify for those seats. In the new re-seating, if you are paying $7,000 to qualify for those seats, you will be paying an additional $250 per seat rights fees to maintain those seats in that level. If you have 4 seats, then you are now paying $8,000 per year in order to qualify for your seats.

Trust me, the athletic department knows most season ticket holders pay the minimum at their respective giving levels and sees this as a way to generate more income.
What many posters are missing is many season ticket holders donate the minimum at their respective level in order to qualify for that level. If you are donating at the minimum level in order to qualify for your seats in that section, you will now have to pay an additional $250 per seat to maintain that level of giving. This is not rocket science. People reach for the highest possible level of giving they can in order to get the best seats. As an example, I'll guarantee you most season ticket holders in the $7,000 per year RAF section aren't paying much more, if at all, than that $7,000 to qualify for those seats. In the new re-seating, if you are paying $7,000 to qualify for those seats, you will be paying an additional $250 per seat rights fees to maintain those seats in that level. If you have 4 seats, then you are now paying $8,000 per year in order to qualify for your seats.

Trust me, the athletic department knows most season ticket holders pay the minimum at their respective giving levels and sees this as a way to generate more income.
We are donating the same overall and still in the same donor level. We have 4 seats and the minimum in our donor level was reduced by $1000 which makes up for the $250 per seat cost.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
I was told by VCU that the $250 for ticket purchase rights will be refunded if there is no season along with the ticket price of $500.00.
I forgot to ask that so the $250 per ticket will be refunded but not the philanthropic portion. I think that makes sense. Let's just hope they come up with a workable plan and that we have basketball!!

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I would think the $250 that's required to buy tickets (separate from Phil. donation) would either:
1. Be Refunded if there's no season (or if fans can not attend).... or
2. Be Rolled over to next season

Since that is now separate from the Phil. donation (which determines our level)..... I honestly don't see how VCU could justify keeping it if there is no season or fans can't attend.... meaning no tickets were allowed to be purchased.

Reactions: Ramaholic
Jul 14, 2011
I would think the $250 that's required to buy tickets (separate from Phil. donation) would either:
1. Be Refunded if there's no season (or if fans can not attend).... or
2. Be Rolled over to next season

Since that is now separate from the Phil. donation (which determines our level)..... I honestly don't see how VCU could justify keeping it if there is no season or fans can't attend.... meaning no tickets were allowed to be purchased.
Yes and no. It is still considered a gift to the school but with the expectation of getting tickets. Otherwise they would be able to just wrap it into a downpayment of the tickets. It’s a weird situation and very difficult to understand imo. I would hope they give it all back but wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t. This is a why I am not thrilled with the ADs handling of this situation. I feel like they could be much more open about a lot of things.

Reactions: wavevcu

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Yes and no. It is still considered a gift to the school but with the expectation of getting tickets. Otherwise they would be able to just wrap it into a downpayment of the tickets. It’s a weird situation and very difficult to understand imo. I would hope they give it all back but wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t. This is a why I am not thrilled with the ADs handling of this situation. I feel like they could be much more open about a lot of things.
It is not a "gift". It's a "seating rights fee".

Jul 14, 2011
It is not a "gift". It's a "seating rights fee".
I guess I don’t understand how the taxes actually work or if this is just a semantics thing. It is untaxed correct? And VCU AD can use this for whatever they choose and don’t have to pay taxes on. If so then it still seems like a donation from their side just that the donator can’t take a tax break on.