Reseating Thread

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Then you have to pay for a seat for that ticket.
I think that is where everyone is confusing this. They still have to buy the ticket. Here is how I understand it:

1. Donation required to purchase a right to buy a seat- $250 per seat (Not tax deductible)

2. Extra donation to RAF- Minimum of $1500, to receive additional benefits, granted based on giving level. (Tax Deductible)

3. Cost to buy the ticket.

So, assume you want four tickets, you have to donate $1000 (4 x250). If you want extra benefits, the minimum to get parking, hospitality, etc. is $1500.

Then you buy your tickets.

You don't have to donate over the $250/seat, but if you don't, you don't get seat as good as you did (RAF Donor Level) or parking and hospitality (Founders, Commonwealth Room) or other benefits.

This is not the result of anything new. It is in response to the Tax bill passed a couple years ago and allows them to sell tickets without the IRS excluding the entire donation. Without this, the entire donation could be disallowed. With it, only the right to purchase the seat part is disallowed. The rest of the donation to the RAF is deductible (within other limitations).

irradiated_ram

Insider
Jan 23, 2013
I think that is where everyone is confusing this. They still have to buy the ticket. Here is how I understand it:

1. Donation required to purchase a right to buy a seat- $250 per seat (Not tax deductible)

2. Extra donation to RAF- Minimum of $1500, to receive additional benefits, granted based on giving level. (Tax Deductible)

3. Cost to buy the ticket.

So, assume you want four tickets, you have to donate $1000 (4 x250). If you want extra benefits, the minimum to get parking, hospitality, etc. is $1500.

Then you buy your tickets.

You don't have to donate over the $250/seat, but if you don't, you don't get seat as good as you did (RAF Donor Level) or parking and hospitality (Founders, Commonwealth Room) or other benefits.

This is not the result of anything new. It is in response to the Tax bill passed a couple years ago and allows them to sell tickets without the IRS excluding the entire donation. Without this, the entire donation could be disallowed. With it, only the right to purchase the seat part is disallowed. The rest of the donation to the RAF is deductible (within other limitations).
Correct. That is also how I understand it as it was presented in the RAF email sent 7/16/19 and echoed on the VCU Athletics website.

Mar 2, 2014
So when it is all said and done, if i give $1100 plus the $250 donation for 2 tickets, I am pretty much where I am today without all of the ram ranking stuff included.

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
Reseating this year is looking like a disaster for the athletic department. It’s going to be hard to get people to commit to maintaining their donation, much less increasing them.
Perfect time to upgrade seats.

Reactions: SWV

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
In the past, the minimum donation levels to buy 2 tickets was $500, and to buy 4 tickets cost $1000.

If I'm reading the new rules correctly, now each ticket simply requires a $250 donation. So for example, if you wanted to buy three tickets, you'd only have to donate $750 now, whereas in the past it would've cost $1000.

Do I have this right?

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
In the past, the minimum donation levels to buy 2 tickets was $500, and to buy 4 tickets cost $1000.

If I'm reading the new rules correctly, now each ticket simply requires a $250 donation. So for example, if you wanted to buy three tickets, you'd only have to donate $750 now, whereas in the past it would've cost $1000.

Do I have this right?
No, I don't believe so. I think $500 is still the minimum for 2 and $1,000 the minimum for 4.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
No, I don't believe so. I think $500 is still the minimum for 2 and $1,000 the minimum for 4.
Actually I think he’s correct for next year. Also ticket limits next year are 6 for everyone, including the highest donor levels. Anyone can get up to 6 tickets for the cost of the tickets and a non tax-deductible donation of $250 per ticket in whatever seating zone that makes you eligible for, which they haven’t shared yet. I think that is a missed opportunity by them, because they are trying to incent donors by giving you 10 extra priority points if you complete your donation by the end of February, but you don’t know what the seat zones are

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Actually I think he’s correct for next year. Also ticket limits next year are 6 for everyone, including the highest donor levels. Anyone can get up to 6 tickets for the cost of the tickets and a non tax-deductible donation of $250 per ticket in whatever seating zone that makes you eligible for, which they haven’t shared yet. I think that is a missed opportunity by them, because they are trying to incent donors by giving you 10 extra priority points if you complete your donation by the end of February, but you don’t know what the seat zones are
Someone told me.... outside of the seats reserved for the big corporate donors or what not.... there won't be any "set zones"... it'll be all Priority point based essentially as to when you pick..... and hypothetically if you donate $500 and when its your turn to pick... if theres a seat in the "C" section, then you can pick it.

I don't know how much I believe that.... but if thats the case.... I'm cool with it, always thought that the higher section seats that were not picked in their donation level.... should be open to others afterwards. Even if it means you have a $500 donor next to a $5000 donor. That way the lower levels don't get "punished" because a $5000 donor likes a seat that was designated for a lower donation level.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
Someone told me.... outside of the seats reserved for the big corporate donors or what not.... there won't be any "set zones"... it'll be all Priority point based essentially as to when you pick..... and hypothetically if you donate $500 and when its your turn to pick... if theres a seat in the "C" section, then you can pick it.

I don't know how much I believe that.... but if thats the case.... I'm cool with it, always thought that the higher section seats that were not picked in their donation level.... should be open to others afterwards. Even if it means you have a $500 donor next to a $5000 donor. That way the lower levels don't get "punished" because a $5000 donor likes a seat that was designated for a lower donation level.
I hope that’s true, that’s a fair way to do it. it removes the “I don’t even have seats in my donor level“ angst.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk