Reseating Thread

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
Time for me to make my contribution before I forget. I do think the AD was tone deaf in his email and that it would be a normal course of events to refund the $250 per seat by default rather than request it back but thanks for the warning, ED.

Reactions: SpiderRAM
Jul 14, 2011
Time for me to make my contribution before I forget. I do think the AD was tone deaf in his email and that it would be a normal course of events to refund the $250 per seat by default rather than request it back but thanks for the warning, ED.
I mean the request is for the actual season tickets. The seat related gifts ($250) will just convert from not tax deductible over to tax deductible according to Ed. It is still concidered a donation which he states is non-refundable.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I mean the request is for the actual season tickets. The seat related gifts ($250) will just convert from not tax deductible over to tax deductible according to Ed. It is still concidered a donation which he states is non-refundable.
I was told the seat reservations are refundable. There are two boxes for donations and RAF is the non-refundable donation.

Jul 14, 2011
I was told the seat reservations are refundable. There are two boxes for donations and RAF is the non-refundable donation.
Im just stating according to Ed’s email. He clearly distinguishes 3 separate payments: philanthropic donation aka RAF, seat related gift (I take as $250 donation to school for right to buy tickets), and ticket cost ($499). Like you said there are two spots for donations and like Ed stated, donations are non refundable.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Im just stating according to Ed’s email. He clearly distinguishes 3 separate payments: philanthropic donation aka RAF, seat related gift (I take as $250 donation to school for right to buy tickets), and ticket cost ($499). Like you said there are two spots for donations and like Ed stated, donations are non refundable.
I thought I read in your post that seat reservations are non-refundable. I was told that they are.

Jul 14, 2011
I thought I read in your post that seat reservations are non-refundable. I was told that they are.
That’s what Eds email would have one believe. You said there are 2 boxes for donations, Ed says donations are non refundable. So it would seem that whatever is in those two boxes is not like refundable. Seat related gift ($250) automatically becomes philanthropic aka part of raf. The only cost his email says you can request for refund is the ticket cost ($499) which could be turned to philanthropic if desired or not requested. Gift=donation not transaction

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
That’s what Eds email would have one believe. You said there are 2 boxes for donations, Ed says donations are non refundable. So it would seem that whatever is in those two boxes is not like refundable. Seat related gift ($250) automatically becomes philanthropic aka part of raf. The only cost his email says you can request for refund is the ticket cost ($499) which could be turned to philanthropic if desired or not requested. Gift=donation not transaction
OK. I was not referring to his email. I was referring to what I was told.

Jul 14, 2011
OK. I was not referring to his email. I was referring to what I was told.
Yeah the person I was replying to thanked Ed for clearing up that they would get $250 back. But Ed’s email seems to paint it as that $250 is with VCU no matter what. I don’t think it will matter either way since we will get back to basketball this winter but there are obvious discrepancies between what people in AD are telling people and what Ed state’s in this email. So they should be thanking those people, not Ed.

Reactions: AlienAiden

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Yeah the person I was replying to thanked Ed for clearing up that they would get $250 back. But Ed’s email seems to paint it as that $250 is with VCU no matter what. I don’t think it will matter either way since we will get back to basketball this winter but there are obvious discrepancies between what people in AD are telling people and what Ed state’s in this email. So they should be thanking those people, not Ed.
I would guess that vcu and colleges don't fully know what may be permissible. Charitable donations are typically not refundable since they're not for services or goods.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I would guess that vcu and colleges don't fully know what may be permissible. Charitable donations are typically not refundable since they're not for services or goods.
The seat reservations are considered part of the ticket purchase so not deductible. I did use my Mastercard that gives my a percentage back for entertainment purchases. Basketball games fall in that category so I should get some cash back.

Reactions: SZQ VCU
Jul 14, 2011
The seat reservations are considered part of the ticket purchase so not deductible. I did use my Mastercard that gives my a percentage back for entertainment purchases. Basketball games fall in that category so I should get some cash back.
But they aren’t considered part of the ticket purchase. They are classified as a donation to the school. It is just a donation that the donor cannot take deductions for.

Apr 24, 2009
F1D69257-7FBC-4203-B99D-A35853E64D50.jpeg

So, I’m new to the season tickets purchasing and whether I’m going to commit for this upcoming season. Does this mean that if I were to commit for 2 season tickets for this upcoming season I would need to do all of the following:
1. Min $250 philanthropic donation
2. Donate $500 for 2 seats ($250x2 seats)
3. Pay $998 for seat tickets ($499x2 seats)

So, in total it would be committing $1748 for 2 season ticket seats? Am I reading that correctly, since it states seat donations do not go into the price of the seat tickets?

Reactions: RowdyPkunk