Reseating Thread

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
View attachment 8512

So, I’m new to the season tickets purchasing and whether I’m going to commit for this upcoming season. Does this mean that if I were to commit for 2 season tickets for this upcoming season I would need to do all of the following:
1. Min $250 philanthropic donation
2. Donate $500 for 2 seats ($250x2 seats)
3. Pay $998 for seat tickets ($499x2 seats)

So, in total it would be committing $1748 for 2 season ticket seats? Am I reading that correctly, since it states seat donations do not go into the price of the seat tickets?
Yup if you donate the min Phil. donation. then yes thats how much it would cost for 2 season tickets.... assuming season tickets are indeed $499 as they suggest

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
View attachment 8512

So, I’m new to the season tickets purchasing and whether I’m going to commit for this upcoming season. Does this mean that if I were to commit for 2 season tickets for this upcoming season I would need to do all of the following:

So, in total it would be committing $1748 for 2 season ticket seats? Am I reading that correctly, since it states seat donations do not go into the price of the seat tickets?
It is my understanding that you do not have to donate the Min $250 philanthropic donation. That would be optional. You can still get tickets by paying the mandatory $250.00 seat fee plus the cost of tickets (presumably $499.00 for each seat.).

Reactions: share the ball

SpiderRAM

Insider
Aug 17, 2014
View attachment 8512

Danny O’Brien (sp?) told me Yesterday that the season ticket price is not going up the season. What are they $499 last year? After I pay it and block it out of my mind because I don’t want to think about how much money it is!

• Love
Reactions: SZQ VCU

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
I was wrong in my earlier post about the $250.00 being refundable. I just confirmed with VCU athletics that the $250.00 per seat fee is non refundable. The only part that can be refunded is the $$ paid for actual tickets (presumably $500/ ticket book).

Reactions: Legios

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I was wrong in my earlier post about the $250.00 being refundable. I just confirmed with VCU athletics that the $250.00 per seat fee is non refundable. The only part that can be refunded is the $$ paid for actual tickets (presumably $500/ ticket book).
It's like AMEX charging you an outrageous transaction fee on a returned purchase that was credited back to your account. But now they want to call it a "donation" so they can keep it without you having any say so regarding wanting to make that "donation".

Dec 2, 2012
It's like AMEX charging you an outrageous transaction fee on a returned purchase that was credited back to your account. But now they want to call it a "donation" so they can keep it without you having any say so regarding wanting to make that "donation".
Well, to be faior, the tax laws change lead to a lot of this.

Reactions: Ramaholic

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Just speculation, but I bet VCU would prefer to return it, but can't without jeopardizing certain tax-exemptions, i.e. if they were to return it this year and next year when everything (presumably) is back to normal, they would no longer be able to claim that the 1.5 million or so for 'seat donations' are charitable givings.

Jul 14, 2011
Just speculation, but I bet VCU would prefer to return it, but can't without jeopardizing certain tax-exemptions, i.e. if they were to return it this year and next year when everything (presumably) is back to normal, they would no longer be able to claim that the 1.5 million or so for 'seat donations' are charitable givings.
It is probably true that they would. However, from the beginning they should have made it clear that this is part of the non-refundable donation. From previous posts on this board it seems the biggest mistake they made was allowing people within the RAF to advise people on things that they clearly didnt understand.

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
They are converting a ticket fee to a tax exempt donation. Refunding the fee is no different than refunding the actual cost of the tickets. Wheat they are trying to do is convert a fee into a tax-exempt donation so they can keep the money. The fee currently is NOT a "donation". They are trying to convert over $1.3 million in ticket fees to "donations" so they don't have to refund the money along with the actual ticket price. At the very least, the option to convert that fee to a donation should be a decision the ticket holder makes, not the athletic department.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Well, to be faior, the tax laws change lead to a lot of this.
Fees of this nature have never been deductible. "Donations" are/were.

I have football season tickets to NC State. We had to pay a lifetime seating rights "fee" in the amount of $250 per seat, per year for 10 years. That "fee" was never tax deductible, just like the cost of actual tickets was never deductible. The only difference between NC State and VCU is I don't have to continuously go through a re-seating as that lifetime seating rights "fee" locks me into my seats at NC State for 20+ years. Many pro teams also do this.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Below is NC State's refund policy regarding football season tickets. It's simple, straightforward and provides the ticket holder ample options.

Q: What if COVID-19 impacts part of or all of football season?
A: While it is too soon to speculate, if the 2020 football season were to be impacted, we have made temporary changes to our refund policy to provide the following options for your season tickets:
  • An account credit applied towards the 2021 season
  • Donate the funds towards athletics scholarship's to support Student-Athletes
  • Receive a refund, prorated or full, contingent on the number of games impacted
Q: Is my Wolfpack Club annual donation refundable?
A: Annual donations to the Wolfpack Club are non-refundable. Annual donations by WPC Members provide scholarship support to over 550 NC State Student-Athletes regardless of any impacts there may be on football or any other sports seasons. The Student-Athletes are still attending classes and rely on the generous support for their scholarship needs. Please contact the Wolfpack Club if you have any specific questions.

And to clarify, the seating rights fee VCU is charging is an annual fee, no different than season tickets being annual. It does not guarantee you lifetime seating rights like NC State. The VCU seating rights fee at VCU is no more than an annual fee to purchase tickets and does NOT guarantee your seat from year to year. It's just a horrible model in so many ways and is so short-term minded vs. building a long-term base that is locked in for years to come.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
View attachment 8512

Actually the $ 500.00 minimum donation is just that a donation. You pay that regardless of if you purchase season tickets, should you so choose to donate.

People really have to get past the "I donate to get tickets" mantra. We donate to help the University and the Program in that order. This isn't really Quid Pro Quo.

You can always purchase our season tickets using Stub Hub if you need tickets and have no desire to help the University.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramdog

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Fees of this nature have never been deductible. "Donations" are/were.

I have football season tickets to NC State. We had to pay a lifetime seating rights "fee" in the amount of $250 per seat, per year for 10 years. That "fee" was never tax deductible, just like the cost of actual tickets was never deductible. The only difference between NC State and VCU is I don't have to continuously go through a re-seating as that lifetime seating rights "fee" locks me into my seats at NC State for 20+ years. Many pro teams also do this.
VCU does have a limited amount of lifetime seats. Those folks actually donated when the SC was being constructed and actually paid what turned out to be relatively low amount for really good quasi permanent seats. I will add at the time many folks had the same opportunity but not a lot decided to hop on the bandwagon.

I was in Graduate School at the time and didnt have the funds.

Again, if you love a University and their Program, and sporting events, its a really good idea to lock in seats, tickets etc. They typically do not go down.

Jul 14, 2011
They are converting a ticket fee to a tax exempt donation. Refunding the fee is no different than refunding the actual cost of the tickets. Wheat they are trying to do is convert a fee into a tax-exempt donation so they can keep the money. The fee currently is NOT a "donation". They are trying to convert over $1.3 million in ticket fees to "donations" so they don't have to refund the money along with the actual ticket price. At the very least, the option to convert that fee to a donation should be a decision the ticket holder makes, not the athletic department.
This is totally incorrect and also different from your NC State post below. This is not a fee. It is a donation that allows you to get seats, any seat that is available as a season ticket. There is no contract for how long you keep that seat as they could rewear every year if they wanted. In a way it’s similar to how Raf works. You donate more and you get to hang out in the commonwealth club but that is not seen as an added fee just a perk. Being able to get tickets in this case is a perk. The only difference is that the government has forced donations for this one perk to not have the added benefit for the donor of being able to save on taxes. It is and always will be tax exempt for vcu.