Reseating Thread

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
This is totally incorrect and also different from your NC State post below. This is not a fee. It is a donation that allows you to get seats, any seat that is available as a season ticket. There is no contract for how long you keep that seat as they could rewear every year if they wanted. In a way it’s similar to how Raf works. You donate more and you get to hang out in the commonwealth club but that is not seen as an added fee just a perk. Being able to get tickets in this case is a perk. The only difference is that the government has forced donations for this one perk to not have the added benefit for the donor of being able to save on taxes. It is and always will be tax exempt for vcu.
This is from one of the original e-mails sent out by the athletic department:
  • Initial donations for Capital Campaign members for the 2020-21 season required a $250.00 per ticket donation and a philanthropic gift at the Black and Gold level ($1,000-$1,499) to maintain seating (Example: 4 Tickets @ $250 + $1,000 = $2,000 total giving)
You can call it what you want. They call it a "required donation" that is non-taxable, which is nothing more than a "fee". Per Merriam Webster, the definition of a donation is as follows:

Definition of donation

: the act or an instance of donating: such as
a: the making of a gift especially to a charity or public institution
b: a free contribution : GIFT

In no way is a "required donation" a "free contribution". And once again, it is non tax deductible. It is being distinguished separately from a "philanthropic gift" for a reason. And for the record, your "philanthropic gift" allows you to hang out in the Commonwealth Room, not a "required $250.00 per ticket donation".

One other note. With the changes to the tax filing laws, which were changed to make filing taxes easier, how many season ticket holders are filing itemized returns? Many can't claim the deduction to start with and now their are also being hit with an additional "required $250.00 per seat donation". This may help the large donors, but it's not going to help probably 50% of the season ticket holders.

Reactions: Ramaholic
Jul 14, 2011
This is from one of the original e-mails sent out by the athletic department:
  • Initial donations for Capital Campaign members for the 2020-21 season required a $250.00 per ticket donation and a philanthropic gift at the Black and Gold level ($1,000-$1,499) to maintain seating (Example: 4 Tickets @ $250 + $1,000 = $2,000 total giving)
You can call it what you want. They call it a "required donation" that is non-taxable, which is nothing more than a "fee". Per Merriam Webster, the definition of a donation is as follows:

Definition of donation

: the act or an instance of donating: such as
a: the making of a gift especially to a charity or public institution
b: a free contribution : GIFT

In no way is a "required donation" a "free contribution". And once again, it is non tax deductible. It is being distinguished separately from a "philanthropic gift" for a reason. And for the record, your "philanthropic gift" allows you to hang out in the Commonwealth Room, not a "required $250.00 per ticket donation".

One other note. With the changes to the tax filing laws, which were changed to make filing taxes easier, how many season ticket holders are filing itemized returns? Many can't claim the deduction to start with and now their are also being hit with an additional "required $250.00 per seat donation". This may help the large donors, but it's not going to help probably 50% of the season ticket holders.
Ok besides what you believe constitutes a donation or not, the government still considers this a donation to the school with the only difference being you can’t deduct it from your taxes. In order to get the commonwealth club you are required to donate X amount. It is still tax deductible because the US government stated that the only part of donations that the donor can’t deduct are those tied to receiving a chance to buy tickets.

TAEKWONDO

Top Member
Insider
May 22, 2019
We are now going to be able to pick what seats are available once it is our turn to pick seats which we were not allowed to do during the prior seat selections. I wouldn't over analyze, costs, the picking of seats this year as I have a strong feeling that there are going to be many more good seats available this selection time than the last time we chose seats. I believe this would be a good time for season tickets holders, ram fans not corporations, we have lost in the past to come back to VCU Basketball.

Feb 14, 2011
Ok besides what you believe constitutes a donation or not, the government still considers this a donation to the school with the only difference being you can’t deduct it from your taxes. In order to get the commonwealth club you are required to donate X amount. It is still tax deductible because the US government stated that the only part of donations that the donor can’t deduct are those tied to receiving a chance to buy tickets.
I'm no tax man but I'll add a basic clarification the way I understand it: The IRS says that if you receive benefits from a donation, not all of the donation is deductible. Instead of the individual trying to figure out the amount that is deductible, VCU (and most other schools) did it for us, putting a monetary value on the benefit vs. donation.

Feb 14, 2011
We are now going to be able to pick what seats are available once it is our turn to pick seats which we were not allowed to do during the prior seat selections. I wouldn't over analyze, costs, the picking of seats this year as I have a strong feeling that there are going to be many more good seats available this selection time than the last time we chose seats. I believe this would be a good time for season tickets holders, ram fans not corporations, we have lost in the past to come back to VCU Basketball.
Agree. I don't see corporate donors driving up demand this time around. Since it's such a messed up year to be doing a reseating; it makes me wonder if VCU will pull the trigger in a year or two, when things are a little more normal and go through another reseating off-cycle.

ShoeSh1ne

Insider
Mar 7, 2009
Agree. I don't see corporate donors driving up demand this time around. Since it's such a messed up year to be doing a reseating; it makes me wonder if VCU will pull the trigger in a year or two, when things are a little more normal and go through another reseating off-cycle.
They've always stated in the past that a reseating is good for 3-5 years.

Reactions: umwram
Feb 14, 2011
They've always stated in the past that a reseating is good for 3-5 years.
They have but I don't think they could have planned for what may happen with this reseating. If we end up with less than reasonable capacity, reseating again next year would be understandable in my opinion. The season is a long way off but I thought of some of our capital campaign donors. Some are getting up in age and have health issues and should not take ANY risks. Hopefully we look out for these folks, keep their seats warm if they choose to take a year off.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
They have but I don't think they could have planned for what may happen with this reseating. If we end up with less than reasonable capacity, reseating again next year would be understandable in my opinion. The season is a long way off but I thought of some of our capital campaign donors. Some are getting up in age and have health issues and should not take ANY risks. Hopefully we look out for these folks, keep their seats warm if they choose to take a year off.
Pretty sure the athletic department would not cringe if the Capital Campaign donors went away. The athletic department could make a lot more money off of those seats if the Capital Campaign donors were not around. I don't agree with it, but based on personal experience, pretty sure that's the case. These days, money seems to trump long term loyalty.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I actually appreciate the reseating on a pretty regular schedule. That way all the seats that became unsold for various reasons get put back into the hopper for fans to select. I mentioned this earlier in the thread but I do worry about fans dropping season tickets and trying to buy single game tickets for each game. I think more clarity would have been very helpful given all the uncertainty even at this stage of the process.

Apr 24, 2009
Actually the $ 500.00 minimum donation is just that a donation. You pay that regardless of if you purchase season tickets, should you so choose to donate.

People really have to get past the "I donate to get tickets" mantra. We donate to help the University and the Program in that order. This isn't really Quid Pro Quo.

You can always purchase our season tickets using Stub Hub if you need tickets and have no desire to help the University.
I think understanding the process is important, especially for individuals who would like to show their appreciation and help the program while also getting tickets. My wife and I are single income no kids. I love the program and thankfully have some money to spare this year, but not a lot. I would like to buy season tickets but could only afford the minimum charitable level and giving because of my own family’s finances. Fans like me can’t give endlessly. We give what we can. In my case, what more can I afford to give, to try to get season tickets this year for the first time since graduating 10 years back.

Reading these pages helps to clarify the process. Thanks all.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Pretty sure the athletic department would not cringe if the Capital Campaign donors went away. The athletic department could make a lot more money off of those seats if the Capital Campaign donors were not around. I don't agree with it, but based on personal experience, pretty sure that's the case. These days, money seems to trump long term loyalty.
As Don Ohlmeyer, who was with both ABC and NBC as an executive, once said a long time ago regarding sports, “The answer to all of your questions is money.”

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I'm of the opinion that if/when basketball returns this year with fans in the seats, the appreciation levels will be extremely high. "Through the roof" even.

1) Just getting back to watching basketball and some bit of normalcy post-COVID will feel amazing (heck, even one of those crappy pretzel's might taste delicious when eating eat among a crowd of Ram fans).

2) Last season's down year I'm guessing will thin out some of the corporate crowd and get the ratio back to a better corporate/diehard balance.

3) I just like the energy of all the young guys. I'm gonna miss our seniors and my guy MSS (will still definitely be following Marcus at Texas Tech, no doubt about that), but the energy/vibe seemed so off last season with the seniors. Might have just been how injuries and losses combined equalled a giant dark cloud that we just couldn't get out from under, but something was just off. I'm personally excited about what feels like a truly new chapter in VCU hoops and I just love that Bones Hyland as a sophomore is going to lead us into this era.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
I did not donate this year nor renew season tickets for varied reasons. This decision was made well before the covid outbreak and recent protest in Richmond.
I have been a 30 year season ticket holder.
My reason for commenting --- I have not heard a word from our athletic department. Sad really.
No, I was not a big donor and did not expect to be stroked. But to be outright ignored?