Reseating Thread

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I did not donate this year nor renew season tickets for varied reasons. This decision was made well before the covid outbreak and recent protest in Richmond.
I have been a 30 year season ticket holder.
My reason for commenting --- I have not heard a word from our athletic department. Sad really.
No, I was not a big donor and did not expect to be stroked. But to be outright ignored?
if I lost a 30 year customer I might just reach out...

May 5, 2009
I did not donate this year nor renew season tickets for varied reasons. This decision was made well before the covid outbreak and recent protest in Richmond.
My reason for commenting --- I have not heard a word from our athletic department. Sad really.
No, I was not a big donor and did not expect to be stroked. But to be outright ignored?
If you were part of the capital campaign and do not donate, you could lose your seating privilege

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
My wife and I are Capital Campaign donors and still (she) feels ignored. Even tho we annually contribute at the Scholarship level, Ed and staff routinely passed us by on their way up our aisle, while stopping and shaking hands of others. I always chalked it up to them just being northerners😄

Last edited:

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
My wife and I are Capital Campaign donors and still (she) feels ignored. Even tho we annually contribute at the Scholarship level, Ed and staff routinely passed us by on their way up our aisle, while stopping and shaking hands of others. I always chalked it up up to them being northerners😄
Bless their hearts.....

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
The donation deadline passed and they will go ahead as planned for seat selection.
Any idea when we will find out our date & time? I know the reseating selection dates are September 21-25...... but depending on when mine or other peoples are... people need to plan ahead & take the off or schedule their lunch breaks around it... etc.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Yet I routinely get emails from Fur about season tickets or even football.... when I haven't gone to Robins center for a VCU Mens game in several years & always buy my WBB tickets there in person.

Maybe they don't wanna seem desperate by calling or emailing people 100 times during this pandemic... and try to hide it by doing other things. Like this Virtual Bingo night tomorrow night.

Reactions: SpiderRAM
Mar 2, 2014
If we do have a season, there are quite a few logistical social distancing things to work out. Admission, concession stands, seating, Commonwealth Room, etc.....
Play ball!

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I've actually heard this from quite a few people.

The long and short of most beefs people confide in me is that VCU doesn't seem to care about them if you are basically just like a "regular season ticket holder/donor" and a lot of those folks I've talked to have abandoned their season tickets, one part because they no longer feel like the season tickets are worth it (because you can buy the same tickets at the door now for less) and the other because they feel like VCU just doesn't give a crap about them with stories extremely similar to yours (or identical). Essentially you have to donate a certain amount to be on VCU's radar.

I'm very curious to see what VCU basketball games look like post-COVID.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Yet I routinely get emails from Fur about season tickets or even football.... when I haven't gone to Robins center for a VCU Mens game in several years & always buy my WBB tickets there in person.

Maybe they don't wanna seem desperate by calling or emailing people 100 times during this pandemic... and try to hide it by doing other things. Like this Virtual Bingo night tomorrow night.
BINGO!

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010

The long and short of most beefs people confide in me is that VCU doesn't seem to care about them if you are basically just like a "regular season ticket holder/donor" and a lot of those folks I've talked to have abandoned their season tickets, one part because they no longer feel like the season tickets are worth it (because you can buy the same tickets at the door now for less) and the other because they feel like VCU just doesn't give a crap about them with stories extremely similar to yours (or identical). Essentially you have to donate a certain amount to be on VCU's radar.

And if you are a top donor, you receive the perks on the RAF benefit chart, and a few visits a year asking you to up your donation.
In my opinion, there has been a quite a few missteps this year with the AD. In particular the decision to push reseating during the Covid-19 pandemic (Donations due at a time when our economy was shut down!) And then after they decided to do the re-seat the AD went deafly silent as to what happens if the season was cancelled. I had a meeting with a senior member in the dept that told me the $250 per seat would be refundable and then Ed comes out a day before donations are due and says they are not refundable. No "thank you" or "we appreciate your support during this time". Then all this poltical/ social issue poop going on and half the fans trying to shame me because they think my attitude toward the team is "shut up and dribble". Ha! I am done. I guess that puts to rest the straw argument of my greedy self interest that I only view these kids as a source of entertainment. They won't be entertaining me any more and I'll save about $40k annually in the process. I know I am not the only person not happy and pulling up stakes. I will be replaced and the program will be fine. But a lot of this donor churn (at all giving levels) is unnecessary.

Last edited:

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
And if you are a top donor, you receive the perks on the RAF benefit chart, and a few visits a year asking you to up your donation.
In my opinion, there has been a quite a few missteps this year with the AD. In particular the decision to push reseating during the Covid-19 pandemic (Donations due at a time when our economy was shut down!) And then after they decided to do the re-seat the AD went deafly silent as to what happens if the season was cancelled. I had a meeting with a senior member in the dept that told me the $250 per seat would be refundable and then Ed comes out a day before donations are due and says they are not refundable. No "thank you" or "we appreciate your support during this time". Then all this poltical/ social issue poop going on and half the fans trying to shame me because they think my attitude toward the team is "shut up and dribble". Ha! I am done. I guess that puts to rest the straw argument of my greedy self interest that I only view these kids as a source of entertainment. I won't be viewing them at all and will save about $40k anually in the process. I know I am not the only person not happy and pulling up stakes. I will be replaced and the program will be fine. But a lot of this donor churn (at all giving levels) is unnecessary.
I completely agree. The other issue, at least for me, is that while the program went ahead with a cash grab in the middle of a pandemic, our coach and AD never offered to take a 10% pay cut (unless I missed it). Numerous other coaches and athletic directors offered to do this since, after all, athletic departments were having to restructure and let people go. But not our guys. Great optics, fellas.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Longevity being a season ticket holder is of no interest to this administration. I am an original Capital Campaign member and have had season tickets to VCU basketball for close to 35 consecutive years and this administration could care less about me because I am not in the top 5-10% regarding annual donations. No personal calls, no personal notes. Just crickets. Truly amazes me. Clemson has one of the largest athletic funding programs in the country. It's called IPTAY and it started out as "I pay ten a year". I also have football season tickets to NC State and am a member of the Wolfpack Club. I pay less annually to the Wolfpack Club than I pay to the RAF, yet I get treated with far more respect, including personal calls and personal notes. And the Wolfpack Club is 20,000+ members strong.

Norwood Teague had lots of issues, but he ALWAYS took the time to get to know as many RAF members as he could, regardless of donation level. Not so with this administration.

Feb 14, 2011

I have no idea of the names of the people that currently work in the ticket office or the RAF. When I was a much smaller supporter, I remember Andrew calling a couple times a year, just to check in. A wave at a game. An invite to the STU for a cup of coffee and a "we could use some more money" sales pitch. I don't recall receiving a "thank you" letter from a student athlete in years. Heck the company that services my heating/cooling for a couple hundred a year is more appreciative than the athletics/RAF department.

I'm not the type that expects or likes to be "stroked" but some simple things can go a long way. The athletics department/RAF have their heads buried in the sand. I hope I'm wrong but I suspect they are in for an awaking.

Dec 2, 2012

I am pretty much in this boat, i was leaning against renewing and COVId tipped me all they way.

Id be really curious how much you had to give to get the AD to come say hello to you before a game, as little as he does it it must be six figures a year.

My old seat were in the front row of section 21, so I could have reached out and touched the opposing players as they came out on the court.
8 or so years of tickets, and the whole thing has been getting more and more sour for me.

I literally got one email from VCU Athletics asking me if I was going to donate, and since it was from a person; I replied that I wasnt renewing.
No one asked why, offered to throw in a free key chain, thanked me for my past support or told me to kiss their A$$.
In my industry, we have an entire department that keeps up with renewals.
It's a lot easier to renew people than it is to find new ones, and much less expensive.

You would think they could get the college kids in marketing or sport leadership to phone bank and call everyone.
And if this board is an indication of how poorly the sales are going for season tickets, they should have a win back program.

LOL I guess they are going to get all those fans off the waiting list in now.