Reseating Thread

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Did anybody else basically get tricked into donating twice with the way they're now breaking down the "Ticket Fund" and "Philanthropic Fund" this season? I'm in the black & gold level and because of the ambiguity on the VCU athletics site during the donation process they got double out of me. I thought the "seat deposit" was part of the cost of the season tickets until I got to my cart yesterday and realized they're full price. Please tell me I'm not the only person they got with this BS...
The RAF donation has always been separate from the ticket price. Not sure I understand.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Did anybody else basically get tricked into donating twice with the way they're now breaking down the "Ticket Fund" and "Philanthropic Fund" this season? I'm in the black & gold level and because of the ambiguity on the VCU athletics site during the donation process they got double out of me. I thought the "seat deposit" was part of the cost of the season tickets until I got to my cart yesterday and realized they're full price. Please tell me I'm not the only person they got with this BS...
Didn't fool me at all.

You had....
$250 which is strictly for the right to buy tickets if your ram ranking qualifies you too..... was not an early down payment on your tickets... because what if everyone puts $250 down but the last 500 people never get a chance to buy season tickets...... where does all that money go if it was a down payment on tickets that never get issued?

Then you had the phil. fun which is for all the extra stuff (comm. wealth room & other stuff that they had to separate from tickets).

Then you had your $499 per ticket.

Didn't fool me at all... plus Im pretty sure they mentioned this early on when they did this new revamped process.

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
Didn't fool me at all.

You had....
$250 which is strictly for the right to buy tickets if your ram ranking qualifies you too..... was not an early down payment on your tickets... because what if everyone puts $250 down but the last 500 people never get a chance to buy season tickets...... where does all that money go if it was a down payment on tickets that never get issued?

Then you had the phil. fun which is for all the extra stuff (comm. wealth room & other stuff that they had to separate from tickets).

Then you had your $499 per ticket.

Didn't fool me at all... plus Im pretty sure they mentioned this early on when they did this new revamped process.
I called the ticket office and they acknowledged that it was very confusing and they've never broke it down like this before. Glad you had it all figured out, but the passive aggressive part at the end of your post isn't necessary. Some of us have had absolutely crazy lives over the past 6 months and maybe didn't take the time to iron out the ambiguous details of this new process. I'll take the blame for my mistake, but you can keep comments like that to yourself from now on, chief.

ShoeSh1ne

Insider
Mar 7, 2009
It was a whole thing a couple months back. I think for some people it ended up being the same but I know for a lot of us it was basically an extra $250 for each seat.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
so 55 pages later, when it's all said and done I wonder how many season tickets ended being sold this week

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
It was a whole thing a couple months back. I think for some people it ended up being the same but I know for a lot of us it was basically an extra $250 for each seat.
It wasn’t supposed to be an extra $250 for each seat though. VCU Athletics was very vague in their explanation of the process. You didn’t have to give a dime to the RAF (Philanthropic Fund) to get tickets this season. All you had to do was donate to the “ticket fund“ at $250 per seat and you locked in the season tickets. It sounds like a lot of people gave extra money to the RAF that they had no intention of giving, due to ambiguity of this new donation process. I wish I would’ve known all of this up front.

For what it’s worth, the ticket office is well aware of what went down and acknowledged that the new donation setup was confusing. I strongly encourage anybody who had this issue to call the VCU Athletics ticket office to lobby support for them doing the right thing and refunding the people who accidentally donated to both funds.

Reactions: VCUendo
Feb 14, 2011
So everyone for the most part seems happy. The department did a good job with allowing freedom to choose all over the Stu and not hampering selections due to membership levels. Like my positivity today? I guess it is because it is almost Friday.
I agree. I wasn't originally in favor but seemed to work out quite well. In the past there has been people donating say in the $5k level but ended up in $2500 sections. This new system seemed to eliminate the problem/issue. I seemed to me they also eliminated the large blocks of "corporate seats"

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I called the ticket office and they acknowledged that it was very confusing and they've never broke it down like this before. Glad you had it all figured out, but the passive aggressive part at the end of your post isn't necessary. Some of us have had absolutely crazy lives over the past 6 months and maybe didn't take the time to iron out the ambiguous details of this new process. I'll take the blame for my mistake, but you can keep comments like that to yourself from now on, chief.
It wasn’t supposed to be an extra $250 for each seat though. VCU Athletics was very vague in their explanation of the process. You didn’t have to give a dime to the RAF (Philanthropic Fund) to get tickets this season. All you had to do was donate to the “ticket fund“ at $250 per seat and you locked in the season tickets. It sounds like a lot of people gave extra money to the RAF that they had no intention of giving, due to ambiguity of this new donation process. I wish I would’ve known all of this up front.

For what it’s worth, the ticket office is well aware of what went down and acknowledged that the new donation setup was confusing. I strongly encourage anybody who had this issue to call the VCU Athletics ticket office to lobby support for them doing the right thing and refunding the people who accidentally donated to both funds.

First off it wasn't supposed to be a passive aggressive post.... sorry you took it as one. And for the record the last 6 months for me hasn't exactly been the easiest either. Considering I fractured my hip at the end of February & was outta work for about 4.5 months.

So need to come at me with an aggressive post of your own.

Also, the part it wasn't supposed to be an extra $250 per ticket... it didn't necessarily have to be depending on how much you donated annually and how many tickets you buy. However, as an example, if you are a B&G Society level giver annually, and before this new system you gave $1000 every year (not counting the price of tickets). You were giving the bare minimum to be a B&G society member... now with the new system... if you wanted to continue to be a B&G society member still... you had to give $1000 plus $250 for every ticket you were buying. (plus the cost of season tickets)

And if you look at the donations page.... under ticket fund.... it specifically says...

A required gift of $250 per seat you plan to purchase for the 2020-21 Men's Basketball Season is needed to purchase season tickets. This fund does not go towards priority points or giving level. Priority points and giving level are determined by your giving to the Philanthropic Fund. Philanthropic giving can be added below.

Payment for season ticket will take place during the seat selection in August. Gifts to the Ticket Fund are separate than the cost of tickets.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcumad

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
First off it wasn't supposed to be a passive aggressive post.... sorry you took it as one. And for the record the last 6 months for me hasn't exactly been the easiest either. Considering I fractured my hip at the end of February & was outta work for about 4.5 months.

So need to come at me with an aggressive post of your own.

Also, the part it wasn't supposed to be an extra $250 per ticket... it didn't necessarily have to be depending on how much you donated annually and how many tickets you buy. However, as an example, if you are a B&G Society level giver annually, and before this new system you gave $1000 every year (not counting the price of tickets). You were giving the bare minimum to be a B&G society member... now with the new system... if you wanted to continue to be a B&G society member still... you had to give $1000 plus $250 for every ticket you were buying. (plus the cost of season tickets)

And if you look at the donations page.... under ticket fund.... it specifically says...
Sorry you’ve had a rough past few months man. That sounds terrible and I sincerely hope you’re doing better now.

I’ll be very honest though, choose your words better if you don’t want it to come across as a condescending humble brag. Specifically, the way you end your posts with the “last word” followed by an ellipsis, is the epitome of a passive aggressive comment. Not all of us are as invested in all things VCU as you are, so when you say things so matter of factly, it can be easily misconstrued. I’m not attacking you, I’m just trying to help you realize how it might come across to others. Regardless, I apologize for snapping at you. No hard feelings on my end and I hope you feel the same.

To your point about the cost breakdown you just described, that’s not correct. You only had to give $250/seat (4 seats) for season tickets; which is now called the Ticket Fund ($1000 donation for B&G Society). The RAF donation was optional, as it’s now referred to as the Philanthropic Fund. That all came straight from the ticket office. You just proved my point on how ambiguous this new setup is.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Sorry you’ve had a rough past few months man. That sounds terrible and I sincerely hope you’re doing better now.

I’ll be very honest though, choose your words better if you don’t want it to come across as a condescending humble brag. Specifically, the way you end your posts with the “last word” followed by an ellipsis, is the epitome of a passive aggressive comment. Not all of us are as invested in all things VCU as you are, so when you say things so matter of factly, it can be easily misconstrued. I’m not attacking you, I’m just trying to help you realize how it might come across to others. Regardless, I apologize for snapping at you. No hard feelings on my end and I hope you feel the same.

To your point about the cost breakdown you just described, that’s not correct. You only had to give $250/seat (4 seats) for season tickets; which is now called the Ticket Fund ($1000 donation for B&G Society). The RAF donation was optional, as it’s now referred to as the Philanthropic Fund. That all came straight from the ticket office. You just proved my point on how ambiguous this new setup is.
Interesting you say that cause if you go on the webpage right here

Under Ticket Fund.... there is absolutely 0 mention of any societies (Rams Society, B&G Society, Directors... etc.)... and it also specifically says "This fund does not go towards priority points or giving level."

But if you scroll down under the Phil. Donation.... It says "The Philanthropic Fund will determine your giving level, provide you with benefits associated with each level, add to your priority points, and determine when you select your seats during a re-seating year." and it lists every single society from Rams Society ($250-$999) all the way up to Scholarship Society ($24,000 +).

So lets see here... If the Ticket Fund donation.... DOES NOT go to priority points or giving level.... nor does it determine when you select your seats... Why would they need to label something as "Rams Society" or "B&G Society" or w/e under ticket fund?

Under the old system it would, but under the old system... $1000 total would put you in B&G society, give you x amount of priority points each year you donate that much, & allow you to purchase 4 tickets.... plus all the other benefits that came with it.

Under the new system.... $1000 total... would allow you to purchase 4 season tickets (if there are still seats when its your time to pick)... with no extra priority points (which are based on Phil. Donations only), no extra benefits (like Commonwealth room access... etc.) or any of that. Now in a year like this year, where a lot of people are not renewing their season tickets (for one reason or another).... that helps you have a better chance to pick seats, and pick better seats.

Or under the new system, $1000 total... would allow you to purchase 1-3 tickets (at $250 a piece).... with the rest going to Phil. Donation... which would put you in the Rams Society level, and allow you to accrue priority points based on giving level, plus any benefits that come with that giving level... etc.

Under the new system, if you just donated $1000 to the Ticket Fund & nothing to the Phil. Fund.... that gives you the right to pick 4 seats during the reseating.... IF AND ONLY IF... there are seats when its your time to pick.... which is based on your priority points.... which you only get priority points from the Phil. Donation.... not the ticket fund donation.

If someone in Athletics told you that you could donate $1000 to ticket fund only & you'd still be in "B&G Society"... sounds like you got some mis-information.

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
Interesting you say that cause if you go on the webpage right here

Under Ticket Fund.... there is absolutely 0 mention of any societies (Rams Society, B&G Society, Directors... etc.)... and it also specifically says "This fund does not go towards priority points or giving level."

But if you scroll down under the Phil. Donation.... It says "The Philanthropic Fund will determine your giving level, provide you with benefits associated with each level, add to your priority points, and determine when you select your seats during a re-seating year." and it lists every single society from Rams Society ($250-$999) all the way up to Scholarship Society ($24,000 +).

So lets see here... If the Ticket Fund donation.... DOES NOT go to priority points or giving level.... nor does it determine when you select your seats... Why would they need to label something as "Rams Society" or "B&G Society" or w/e under ticket fund?

Under the old system it would, but under the old system... $1000 total would put you in B&G society, give you x amount of priority points each year you donate that much, & allow you to purchase 4 tickets.... plus all the other benefits that came with it.

Under the new system.... $1000 total... would allow you to purchase 4 season tickets (if there are still seats when its your time to pick)... with no extra priority points (which are based on Phil. Donations only), no extra benefits (like Commonwealth room access... etc.) or any of that. Now in a year like this year, where a lot of people are not renewing their season tickets (for one reason or another).... that helps you have a better chance to pick seats, and pick better seats.

Or under the new system, $1000 total... would allow you to purchase 1-3 tickets (at $250 a piece).... with the rest going to Phil. Donation... which would put you in the Rams Society level, and allow you to accrue priority points based on giving level, plus any benefits that come with that giving level... etc.

Under the new system, if you just donated $1000 to the Ticket Fund & nothing to the Phil. Fund.... that gives you the right to pick 4 seats during the reseating.... IF AND ONLY IF... there are seats when its your time to pick.... which is based on your priority points.... which you only get priority points from the Phil. Donation.... not the ticket fund donation.

If someone in Athletics told you that you could donate $1000 to ticket fund only & you'd still be in "B&G Society"... sounds like you got some mis-information.
Look man, I have a receipt from VCU Athletics in my inbox that I’m looking at right now. It shows $1000 donations allocated to each fund with B&G Society listed in parenthesis under each one. I called VCU Athetics to confirm exactly what I said in my last post. They told me I was right about “donating twice” and admitted it was very confusing. I obviously misunderstood it before and so do you currently. Why do you so badly feel the need to tell me I’m wrong when I already stated that I TALKED TO SOMEBODY AT VCU ATHLETICS WHO TOLD ME I WAS RIGHT?!?!?

Also, your breakdown of this year’s donor levels and associated number of tickets is also wrong. GTFO man.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Look man, I have a receipt from VCU Athletics in my inbox that I’m looking at right now. It shows $1000 donations allocated to each fund with B&G Society listed in parenthesis under each one. I called VCU Athetics to confirm exactly what I said in my last post. They told me I was right about “donating twice” and admitted it was very confusing. I obviously misunderstood it before and so do you currently. Why do you so badly feel the need to tell me I’m wrong when I already stated that I TALKED TO SOMEBODY AT VCU ATHLETICS WHO TOLD ME I WAS RIGHT?!?!?

Also, your breakdown of this year’s donor levels and associated number of tickets is also wrong. GTFO man.
I'm with you. The fact that you two are having this kind of debate on here proves that the re-seating was way more confusing than it should've been.

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Oh well not really a bad seat in the house. I'm good. ISwam is section 4 actually that dreadful?
No, 4 is great. I was sour b/c I was in sect 25 row E for years. And then moved back each re-shuffle.
Section 4 is also where Mr Padow sits so I'll miss seeing him walk up the stairs. Tell him hey for me.

Reactions: Newboy