Reseating Thread

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Bill who donated $2,500.00 every year for 20 years is SOL. Tom who's donated $25,000.00 for two years is likely in good shape. I understand where the money trumps loyalty. Monday morning Quarter Backing but isn't long term loyalty via the donor points a better option over the long term? Any word on what they are doing with the Capital Campaign folks?
Bill has bought $2,500 worth of beer each year for the last 20 years, Tom has purchased $25,000 worth of beer for each of the last two years. Which one is more likely to spend $25,000 on beer next year? Loyalty is a wonderful thing and all things being equal, one should reward loyalty, but if one can inspire loyalty from a high value new customer, the choice is obvious.

Apr 20, 2009
Has anyone that requested a refund for season ticket costs also received a refund of the $250 per seat "Ticket Fund"?

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Just got the generic form letter(email) letting me know I didn’t make the cut. Season ticket holder since 83...capital campaign member ...donor annually in the 5k to 10k range....must be a very exclusive club that will be in the building.

It was addressed to “Dear Ram Fan”...nice touch

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Has anyone that requested a refund for season ticket costs also received a refund of the $250 per seat "Ticket Fund"?
As AA said, we were all told way back that they cannot refund that but we can write off the entire amount this year.

Reactions: Ram it home

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Just got the generic form letter(email) letting me know I didn’t make the cut. Season ticket holder since 83...capital campaign member ...donor annually in the 5k to 10k range....must be a very exclusive club that will be in the building.

Ramdog, my favorite part was " You ain't getting no seats, but can we keep yo money". Just kidding about that as schools and athletic departments are in a struggle. I know it was not easy to send those letters and being auto sent didn't make it easier. The atheletic department wants us there more than we want to be there and that is saying a lot. Stay safe everyone, Ram Action is still on and next season we will be raising heck in The Stu.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Why am I not surprised. This athletic administration has no idea how to put a personal touch on anything, unless you are in the top 1% of giving. Thank you for your contributions "Dear Ram Fan". ;) :roll:

Jun 28, 2009
As AA said, we were all told way back that they cannot refund that but we can write off the entire amount this year.
I don't believe that to be correct. That's a "ticket" related cost and refundable, and I was specifically told that it would be refundable. The part that is not refundable is the "Philanthropic" portion.

Reactions: PuddinDaStunna

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
I don't believe that to be correct. That's a "ticket" related cost and refundable, and I was specifically told that it would be refundable. The part that is not refundable is the "Philanthropic" portion.
I do believe that is a fight, if pushed, you could win. The AD was purposely being evasive on the policy and I received the same erroneous message from a member of the AD that said if they can't give you tickets, it would be refundable. Ed's lame email the day before donations were due was a feeble attempt at a cash grab. If I wanted to, I would be able to escalate the issue and get my money back. It just isnt a battle I am willing to fight. Plus I know the program needs the money. But if you fought that outside of the department (University level/ courts), I think you win. Just like it is a battle I didn't want to fight, I do not think it is a battle VCU wants to fight either. It's just how bad do you want to pursue it. My advice is focus on a home improvement project or job at work, it will yield better dividends and return on your invested time. Plus no negative reprecussions if you need a favor from the AD.

Last edited:
Reactions: rammad90

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
The $250 is still considered a donation (a gift), and isn't refundable, they did specify that in an e-mail. However, like @Ram14 said, since you are now no longer getting a ticket benefit from it, it's technically the same as a philanthropic donation and would be tax-deductible now. The $250 donation is generally not tax-deductible because you get something in return for it (an opportunity to purchase season tickets).

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Bill has bought $2,500 worth of beer each year for the last 20 years, Tom has purchased $25,000 worth of beer for each of the last two years. Which one is more likely to spend $25,000 on beer next year? Loyalty is a wonderful thing and all things being equal, one should reward loyalty, but if one can inspire loyalty from a high value new customer, the choice is obvious.
PRock without more information you really cannot state that the new comer will continue to pay 25,000. What you can state with some degree of certainty that you can count on the 2, 500 from Bill.

Loyalty is everything in business and life. You cannot run a successful program on catering to every new thing. As a person, you cannot have successful relationships if you continually run after every pretty new face.

At the end of the day, the world isnt binary. Its not either or, if you seek to be considered the best instead of merely good you have to learn to satisfy both groups.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I do think you are correct as the payment was attached to the ability to purchase a ticket. I also think Ed has done a poor job consistently with this issue.

I cannot give him a pass on his administrations reaction merely placing this on Covid-19. At the end of the day, this is merely a crisis that needs to be managed.

We all know we for the most part cannot watch live games. We know for the most part things will be different. However, these guys just haven't done a good job managing expectations, conveying information appropriately, and simply attacking the process in a manner that would be more palatable for fans

Last edited:
Reactions: enonram