Reseating Thread

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Why am I not surprised. This athletic administration has no idea how to put a personal touch on anything, unless you are in the top 1% of giving. Thank you for your contributions "Dear Ram Fan". ;) :roll:
Wolfpack you and I have disagree on many, many issues. However, on this one I disagree. I am not in the top 1% but I have given over 6 figures during my tenure as a Ram fan.

The "Dear Ram Fan" pissed me on and I felt disrespected. Now I am not going to call them, it is what it is. Fwiw, they could have used a mail merge to. "Dear Ram Fan" is for page on a website especially when we are talking potential thousands of dollars.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Bill who donated $2,500.00 every year for 20 years is SOL. Tom who's donated $25,000.00 for two years is likely in good shape. I understand where the money trumps loyalty. Monday morning Quarter Backing but isn't long term loyalty via the donor points a better option over the long term? Any word on what they are doing with the Capital Campaign folks?
I have made this argument for years. You have to factor in the long term individuals contribution to the program. This "what have you done for me lately" approach has to change.

Reactions: wavevcu

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Did Ed and the other geniuses in the Administration consider spreading the love? Doesnt appear so. They let a very select small group attend all the games?

Alternatively, they could have packaged the games in 4-5 game blocks and let a larger percentage of donors have the ability to see games.

Although logistically a bit more difficdult, financially you could get the same amount of money and you potentially make more people happy.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Did Ed and the other geniuses in the Administration consider spreading the love? Maybe instead of letting a very select small group attend all the games.

Instead they packaged the games in 4-5 game blocks and let a larger percentage of donor has the ability to see games. Financially, you get the same amount of money and you potentially make more people happy.

Just a thought.
There's an interesting law and economics principle called the Coase theorem, where if transactional costs are low, it doesn't matter who is assigned the initial property right, parties will still come to the most efficient solution.

(I know this doesn't reward donors who cannot afford to go out and buy tickets at a premium, just wanted to share the Coase theorem 🤷‍♂️ )

• Love
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Apr 20, 2009
The "Dear Ram Fan" pissed me on and I felt disrespected. Now I am not going to call them, it is what it is. Fwiw, they could have used a mail merge to. "Dear Ram Fan" is for page on a website especially when we are talking potential thousands of dollars.

I felt bad for you. In fact, your situation was a topic of discussion last night at my dinner table. As a long-time season ticket holder, a contributor but not to the degree you've been, I get your feeling of being disrespected. I'm small potatoes compared to your giving, so I really didn't expect anything myself.

ShoeSh1ne

Insider
Mar 7, 2009
Just a heads up for those upset about the lack of personalization in an email, it's an automated generic email and VCU just chose to call us Ram Fans. If they wanted to spend a few min to make it look up the table for your account and have it use the First Name field then it would use your name, but it would still be a generic email.

If you want a email from an actual person in the dept, that's another thing, but don't get upset over system generated emails, it's just not worth it.

Reactions: DisplacedRam

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I am more concerned with them taking our money for tickets this year knowing that they would not be able to provide them and then trying to keep the money than I am with the greeting of the e-mail. They added a required $250 per seat fee to the cost of the season ticket and that is part of the cost that they should be refunding.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
PRock without more information you really cannot state that the new comer will continue to pay 25,000. What you can state with some degree of certainty that you can count on the 2, 500 from Bill.

Loyalty is everything in business and life. You cannot run a successful program on catering to every new thing. As a person, you cannot have successful relationships if you continually run after every pretty new face.

At the end of the day, the world isnt binary. Its not either or, if you seek to be considered the best instead of merely good you have to learn to satisfy both groups.
No arguements, good points—one area of professional specialty is loyalty/engagement program efficiacy, so I’m a sucker for the loyalty perspective. The growth perspective would be a bit more empirical—whereby each year the expected value (lifetime or otherwise) of different customer targets is estimated and resources are allocated towards those with the highest expected value—clean and direct, but to your point makes loyalty transactional which is dangerous.
Bigger picture, this donor has no issues with AD spending more time and providing incentives to the big money, as I see that it benefits the program and longer term objectives.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Let me preface by saying I'm not a season ticket holder 😭, but I think some leeway should be afforded to the Athletics Department for this year. The guidelines on attendance are a moving goalpost, the AD needs revenue to support operations and the programs (not just basketball), and I'm guessing that they're doing this while short-staffed (probably some interns or work studies program students aren't actively engaged this year). I know that it's disappointing that they aren't refunding the deposit and that $500 isn't some trivial amount to a lot of fans, but at the same time, didn't you sort of know going in that the $500 may be a sunk cost after all we've seen in the past 8 months?

In regards to the email, would you really prefer that they spend the time and resources to send a personalized note rather than use those funds and energy to better the student-athlete experience?

Feb 14, 2011
I am more concerned with them taking our money for tickets this year knowing that they would not be able to provide them and then trying to keep the money than I am with the greeting of the e-mail. They added a required $250 per seat fee to the cost of the season ticket and that is part of the cost that they should be refunding.
I could use that $1000 clams! Heck I use my donation back as well and maybe give it to those in much greater need than VCU. The family that for the fist time ever needs to go to food panties, those parents that don't get a paycheck unless they can go to work. Sorry, but VCU will be fine and there are much bigger concerns right now than funding student athletes and paying coaches. I took the ticket refund and will donate it where it can benefit those that could use some help right now.

On the flip side: this ticket cost and donation thing isn't about me, the fan but where the program(s) will land. I believe the side effects of how this is being handled will be felt for many years. I'm not in this group, not even close but there are supports that go back to the Kirk/Barnett/Pollio days that are left out, will not have the opportunity to see a single game live. I wonder how their loyalty toward VCU will look come next season when things are a little more normal.

Reactions: enonram
Jun 28, 2009
Let me preface by saying I'm not a season ticket holder 😭, but I think some leeway should be afforded to the Athletics Department for this year. The guidelines on attendance are a moving goalpost, the AD needs revenue to support operations and the programs (not just basketball), and I'm guessing that they're doing this while short-staffed (probably some interns or work studies program students aren't actively engaged this year). I know that it's disappointing that they aren't refunding the deposit and that $500 isn't some trivial amount to a lot of fans, but at the same time, didn't you sort of know going in that the $500 may be a sunk cost after all we've seen in the past 8 months?

In regards to the email, would you really prefer that they spend the time and resources to send a personalized note rather than use those funds and energy to better the student-athlete experience?
Absolutely not. The philanthropic portion, definitely, but there's no reason to think that the ticket portion wouldn't be when you are specifically told otherwise. Like others have mentioned, the AD has been intentionally evasive when it came to this, which is why I pinned them down and they told me that it would be refundable. It was verbal and I wish I had it in writing. Either its a blatant lie as a way to get me to give them the money when there was no intention of ever refunding that portion, or a way to make people think they aren't getting it back. Maybe they figure a lot of people won't be happy about it and not push back, thus they get to keep the money. If there's a ticket portion that is incorporated with the direct correlation of having the opportunity to pay for season tickets and that season ticket is taken away, I can't see how they can legally keep that and convert it to "philanthropic" without giving us the choice of doing so.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Absolutely not. The philanthropic portion, definitely, but there's no reason to think that the ticket portion wouldn't be when you are specifically told otherwise. Like others have mentioned, the AD has been intentionally evasive when it came to this, which is why I pinned them down and they told me that it would be refundable. Either its a blatant lie as a way to get me to give them the money when there was no intention of ever refunding that portion, or a way to make people think they aren't getting it back. Maybe they figure a lot of people won't be happy about it and not push back, thus they get to keep the money.
This changed something like a week before the seat reservation payment due date. At the beginning of this process many people were told it would be refundable then the email came saying it was non-refundable.

Jun 28, 2009
This changed something like a week before the seat reservation payment due date. At the beginning of this process many people were told it would be refundable then the email came saying it was non-refundable.
I do recall an email coming out that said in the event that there's no spectators, it would get converted to a donation automatically if you didn't request a refund by 1/1/21