Reseating Thread

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
No arguements, good points—one area of professional specialty is loyalty/engagement program efficiacy, so I’m a sucker for the loyalty perspective. The growth perspective would be a bit more empirical—whereby each year the expected value (lifetime or otherwise) of different customer targets is estimated and resources are allocated towards those with the highest expected value—clean and direct, but to your point makes loyalty transactional which is dangerous.
Bigger picture, this donor has no issues with AD spending more time and providing incentives to the big money, as I see that it benefits the program and longer term objectives.
PRock, I have no problem with the AD spending time wooing new big money donors either. I just dont want him to do so at the expense of those who have given money as well as non-financial support faithfully year in and year out.

You can do both but thus far Ed hasn't IMO.

Last edited:

TAEKWONDO

Top Member
Insider
May 22, 2019
This will be the first time in almost 50 years that I will not be attending a VCU basketball game. I will thank , yes thank, those at VCU who put us in the A-10 Conference as I will be able to see most VCU basketball games on television. There are those of us who have been long time VCU basketball supporters who remember a time when you never saw VCU on television. I won't place any blame, nor criticize, on not being able to attend games this year on VCU, the governor, or the president, but I sure in heck will place blame where it belongs - on China!

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
PRock, I have no problem with the AD spending time wooing knew big money donors either. I just dont want him to do so at the expense of those of us who have given faithfully year in and year out.

You can do both but thus far Ed hasn't IMO.
Exactly. I just can't ignore the AD's non personal method of dealing with DONORS. I implored him to send a follow up email to the email they sent in June stating the converting of the seat donation to a philanthropic donation. He never thanked the donors in his email. he just said this is what I am doing and you have to live with it. I never saw the original email till after the deadline passed either, so they didnt even bother to send it to everyone.

Dunbar's number is a suggested cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships—relationships in which an individual knows who each person is and how each person relates to every other person. In business, it pretty much dictates how many contacts a person can have and maintain a congenial, authentic relationship with. Theories vary on the exact number, but most people agree that is around 200 to 250 people. That means each AD staff that works with donors should interact with about 150-200 different people and making them feel appreciated. That could total 1500 or more people that have special relationships with our AD. I do have a special relationship with the AD, but from comments on this board, many others do not. The VCU AD staff tends to hover around 50-100 of the same people. And as @rammad90 said in an earlier post, it isn't governed solely on $$ amount. They like who they like. You can see these same people sitting behind the VCU bench at UR games, chartering on flights that are separate from group charters, hanging out at functions or in the AD suite and sharing those pics on social media and in some cases, even not partaking in reseating procedures. It's a bad way to go. People know it is happening. And I have told them that in person. Maybe they eventually will learn that.
Ed, if you're reading this, its still not too late to send a heartfelt thank you to those people that had there $250 seat deposit converted to a gift. As others have posted on here, the athletic department isn't the only entity adversely affected by covid.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Exactly. I just can't ignore the AD's non personal method of dealing with DONORS. I implored him to send a follow up email to the email they sent in June stating the converting of the seat donation to a philanthropic donation. He never thanked the donors in his email. he just said this is what I am doing and you have to live with it. I never saw the original email till after the deadline passed either, so they didnt even bother to send it to everyone.

Dunbar's number is a suggested cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships—relationships in which an individual knows who each person is and how each person relates to every other person. In business, it pretty much dictates how many contacts a person can have and maintain a congenial, authentic relationship with. Theories vary on the exact number, but most people agree that is around 200 to 250 people. That means each AD staff that works with donors should interact with about 150-200 different people and making them feel appreciated. That could total 1500 or more people that have special relationships with our AD. I do have a special relationship with the AD, but from comments on this board, many others do not. The VCU AD staff tends to hover around 50-100 of the same people. And as @rammad90 said in an earlier post, it isn't governed solely on $$ amount. They like who they like. You can see these same people sitting behind the VCU bench at UR games, chartering on flights that are separate from group charters, hanging out at functions or in the AD suite and sharing those pics on social media and in some cases, even not partaking in reseating procedures. It's a bad way to go. People know it is happening. And I have told them that in person. Maybe they eventually will learn that.
Ed, if you're reading this, its still not too late to send a heartfelt thank you to those people that had there $250 seat deposit converted to a gift. As others have posted on here, the athletic department isn't the only entity adversely affected by covid.
Wasn't the deadline for a refund before reseating took place? The issue is that if you asked for a refund then you could not select seats. Catch 22 situation right there.

Feb 14, 2011

Dunbar's number is a suggested cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships—relationships in which an individual knows who each person is and how each person relates to every other person. In business, it pretty much dictates how many contacts a person can have and maintain a congenial, authentic relationship with. Theories vary on the exact number, but most people agree that is around 200 to 250 people. That means each AD staff that works with donors should interact with about 200-250 different people and making them feel appreciated. That could total 1500 or more people that have special relationships with our AD. I do have a special relationship with the AD, but from comments on this board, many others do not. Our group all tends to hover around 50-100 of the same people. And as @rammad90 said in an earlier post, it isnt governed solely on $$ amount. They like who they like. You can see these same people sitting behind the VCU bench at UR games, chartering on flights that are separate from group charters, hanging out at functions or in the AD suite and sharing those pics on social media and in some cases, even not partaking in reseating procedures. It's a bad way to go. And I have told them that in person. Maybe they eventually will learn that.
Ed, if you're reading this, its still not too late to send a heartfelt thank you to those people that had there $250 seat deposit converted to a gift without there consent. As others have posted on here, the athletic department isn'y the only entity adversely affected by covid.

There was a time, not that long ago where the athletics department reached out to donors on a regular basis, even the lower level folks. That is definitely not the case any more. I can't understand where any business expects the customer to be the one to develope the relationship. The amount of money I and thousand of others have given VCU in just the past 10 years, we have no reason the suck up or attempt to have a "special relationship" I don't know Ed, never spoken to the man but it sure seems like he needs to give up 100% of Donor relations.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Let me preface by saying I'm not a season ticket holder 😭, but I think some leeway should be afforded to the Athletics Department for this year. The guidelines on attendance are a moving goalpost, the AD needs revenue to support operations and the programs (not just basketball), and I'm guessing that they're doing this while short-staffed (probably some interns or work studies program students aren't actively engaged this year). I know that it's disappointing that they aren't refunding the deposit and that $500 isn't some trivial amount to a lot of fans, but at the same time, didn't you sort of know going in that the $500 may be a sunk cost after all we've seen in the past 8 months?

In regards to the email, would you really prefer that they spend the time and resources to send a personalized note rather than use those funds and energy to better the student-athlete experience?

I find it amazing that the NC State Wolfpack Club can personally call it's 20,000+ donors, but the VCU RAF can't. It's not like the VCU athletic department is busy running sporting events. If you want to grow your donor base, you have to invest in your donor base. Great customer service goes a long way to maintaining/growing your donor base. NC State's Wolfpack Club is one of the most successful donor bases in the country because they treat EVERY donor like they are important.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Wasn't the deadline for a refund before reseating took place? The issue is that if you asked for a refund then you could not select seats. Catch 22 situation right there.

The deadline to opt out of your season tickets was October 30th. Did the athletic department remind season ticket holders of this deadline when the deadline was getting close? No, there were zero reminders the last two weeks prior to the deadline. How many e-mails did we all get the week prior to the virtual Black & Gold game. It's called selective communication.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I find it amazing that the NC State Wolfpack Club can personally call it's 20,000+ donors, but the VCU RAF can't. It's not like the VCU athletic department is busy running sporting events. If you want to grow your donor base, you have to invest in your donor base. Great customer service goes a long way to maintaining/growing your donor base. NC State's Wolfpack Club is one of the most successful donor bases in the country because they treat EVERY donor like they are important.
Again, not a donor so I'm only to speak to what I would anticipate mattering to me, I'd much rather for the program to be thriving than to be treated by a VIP. I.E. having the Seigel Center looking good, teams having the resources necessary, and building towards a successful program matters more to me than a phone call thanking me for a donation. Chalk it up to difference of opinion? I also think success builds a strong fan base. Pretty sure donations skyrocketed after 2011.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Again, not a donor so I'm only to speak to what I would anticipate mattering to me, I'd much rather for the program to be thriving than to be treated by a VIP. I.E. having the Seigel Center looking good, teams having the resources necessary, and building towards a successful program matters more to me than a phone call thanking me for a donation. Chalk it up to difference of opinion? I also think success builds a strong fan base. Pretty sure donations skyrocketed after 2011.

Where do you think a lot of the money comes from for upgrades to the Stu and to build a successful program? The donor base. When you start contributing to the program and then get treated better by the Walmart greeter, then you might understand why donors are so frustrated. As you stated, you have no skin in this game.

And, yes, donations did skyrocket after 2011. The same can't be said 9 years later. Season ticket sales are down, and I would bet donations are down. And it's not all COVID-19 related. This athletic administration has totally lost touch with most of its donor base, and it's starting to show.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Where do you think a lot of the money comes from for upgrades to the Stu and to build a successful program? The donor base. When you start contributing to the program and then get treated better by the Walmart greeter, then you might understand why donors are so frustrated. As you stated, you have no skin in this game.

And, yes, donations did skyrocket after 2011. The same can't be said 9 years later. Season ticket sales are down, and I would bet donations are down. And it's not all COVID-19 related. This athletic administration has totally lost touch with most of its donor base, and it's starting to show.
I guess it's a bit of chicken and egg about what comes first, success or donations. I would anticipate that the ROI on a dollars spent towards improving the program, e.g. dedicated practice space/newer equipment/nice confines, is higher than a dollar spent towards enhanced donor relations. And no, I'm not saying you can spend nothing on donor relations, just saying that an utilitarian approach to average donors probably maximizes the program's potential.

Also, just be clear, I'm not saying your feelings or opinions are wrong, but rather what would be more important to me if I were a season tix holder.

Reactions: Ramdog

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
This will be the first time in almost 50 years that I will not be attending a VCU basketball game. I will thank , yes thank, those at VCU who put us in the A-10 Conference as I will be able to see most VCU basketball games on television. There are those of us who have been long time VCU basketball supporters who remember a time when you never saw VCU on television. I won't place any blame, nor criticize, on not being able to attend games this year on VCU, the governor, or the president, but I sure in heck will place blame where it belongs - on China!
Not gonna lie, had me in the first half

• Haha
Reactions: Larry Sanders Posse
May 5, 2009
The deadline to opt out of your season tickets was October 30th. Did the athletic department remind season ticket holders of this deadline when the deadline was getting close? No, there were zero reminders the last two weeks prior to the deadline. How many e-mails did we all get the week prior to the virtual Black & Gold game. It's called selective communication.
I knew about it. Probably because I do not have anything else to do.

• Haha
Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I guess it's a bit of chicken and egg about what comes first, success or donations. I would anticipate that the ROI on a dollars spent towards improving the program, e.g. dedicated practice space/newer equipment/nice confines, is higher than a dollar spent towards enhanced donor relations. And no, I'm not saying you can spend nothing on donor relations, just saying that an utilitarian approach to average donors probably maximizes the program's potential.

Also, just be clear, I'm not saying your feelings or opinions are wrong, but rather what would be more important to me if I were a season tix holder.
go back to the final four and the donations will take care of themselves....I don’t need anything more than a comfortable seat, a great atmosphere and a winning team ...and if push comes to shove I can deal without having the first two.