Reseating Thread

Feb 14, 2011
They can work this is in on a case by case basis. Given this past year and what's going on in the world, I am thinking demand may be a bit less than expected.

Remember we expected to be a top25 team with a strong possibility of having a run in the NCAA tournament. We didnt expect to be a team that imploded with major injuries and guys leaving the team with others discussing it.

Teams typically do this because of demand and desire to squeeze, oh I mean generate more revenue from their fan base.

Does this feel like the season to others?
Season disappointment, donation levels and increasing donation dollars aside. It's time to reseat anyway. Attendance has been declining a little each year, many seats in random sections/areas go unused, rows of corporate seats in section 4 go unused more than they are used. Let's get the loyal, attend every game type folks down low between the baselines and the more casual, date night, company gave me a couple tickets type folks elsewhere. I wouldn't mind seeing us go back to having more "no donation required" seats available. We have hard-core fans that donate to the RAF that started buying single game/4 pack seats 10 or 15 years ago. The addiction needs to start somewhere.

We were suppose to do a reseat last year (every 3 years) but VCU chose not to in hopes of creating a higher demand this season with expectations of great success. It's not always wise to keep trying to predict the future. Who knows what the demand will be after next year, or the year after that.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Received an email this morning from the athletic department saying that the RAF deadline has been extended from May 15 to June 1. Reseating is apparently moving forward as planned.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Received an email this morning from the athletic department saying that the RAF deadline has been extended from May 15 to June 1. Reseating is apparently moving forward as planned.
Dear Ram Athletic Fund Member,

Thank you for your support of VCU Athletics. Your support for our athletic programs provides our 300 VCU student-athletes with the resources necessary to earn a degree from a tremendous academic institution while offering those student-athletes the opportunity to compete with and against the most elite competition in college athletics.

As winter and spring sports came to an unexpected end, we have started the preparation for the re-seating for the 2020-21 men’s basketball season. We previously set the donation deadline for your $250.00 per seat ticket donationand philanthropic gift (associated with giving level and benefits) as May 15, 2020, keeping in line with previous years. With the global pandemic caused by COVID-19, we understand community members now face a variety of issues including finances. With those challenges in mind, VCU Athletics will extend the donation deadline to June 1, 2020. We hope this change can give you additional time to plan your giving. Please remember that payment plans can be utilized to break up payments and complete your donation prior to the June 1, 2020 deadline.

If you have any questions regarding the donation process, ways to donate, the re-seating or need to speak with a Ram Athletic Fund representative, please do not hesitate to contact us at (804) 828-3863 or [email protected].

Thank you and Go Rams!

Take care,

Ed McLaughlin
VCU Vice President and Director of Athletics

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2015
What’s the issue. The government is covering your donations this year with a stimulus. If you piss it away, the FED will print more money.

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I got the email. I think this is ill-advised or poor timing if nothing else. I wonder if part of the reasoning is to 'test the waters' by volume of reactions (emails and calls to RAF). If they get an outpouring of concerns, they may kick it down the road or adjust the payment options.

My big question is what will the attrition rate be? The lack luster season aside, we're in a recession and it's just starting. How many corporate donors will opt out this year? Will the corners be empty (they weren't packed this year)? Will Saxon Shoes continue to buy empty seats? How many of us or partners will be laid off and unable to fund the donation?

For me personally, I'm going to have to think hard about continuing my donation level or donations entirely. My method of funding is tied to the market and...well...don;t need to say how that looks. (I'll acknowledge this is a decision I'd have to make regardless of re-seating. The re-seating is just adding insult to injury.)

Dec 2, 2012
I got the email. I think this is ill-advised or poor timing if nothing else. I wonder if part of the reasoning is to 'test the waters' by volume of reactions (emails and calls to RAF). If they get an outpouring of concerns, they may kick it down the road or adjust the payment options.

My big question is what will the attrition rate be? The lack luster season aside, we're in a recession and it's just starting. How many corporate donors will opt out this year? Will the corners be empty (they weren't packed this year)? Will Saxon Shoes continue to buy empty seats? How many of us or partners will be laid off and unable to fund the donation?

For me personally, I'm going to have to think hard about continuing my donation level or donations entirely. My method of funding is tied to the market and...well...don;t need to say how that looks. (I'll acknowledge this is a decision I'd have to make regardless of re-seating. The re-seating is just adding insult to injury.)
Agree, this is not the right time to hit us up with this. Here's another thought, if COVID19 becomes some sort of lingering 18 month thing, will all of us even go at all?

Reactions: Ramaholic

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

Timing may seem terrible, but companies, institutions and non-profit orgs are all getting hit hard by the recent turn of events too. To individuals, this sort of “reach out” communications may seem a bit unseemly, but it is important to remember that these orgs are responsible for jobs, events and other matters.

In this case, not actively soliciting at this time will most likely lead to very low levels of consideration given all the other things on people’s minds. A significant shortfall in donations could impact individual jobs or the extent to which VCU can support positive game day experiences or undermine the ability for the program to schedule buy games.

In the grand scheme things, you may be correct that the timing is a little intrusive—but the flip side is that not acting could lead to more detrimental outcomes. Personally, I’m ok with the AD trying to get in front of things and do whatever they can to drive towards normalcy. At the end of the day, it’s better to act and beg for forgiveness, than wait for permission to act.

Reactions: Newboy

Ram by Marriage

Insider
May 18, 2015
The seating chart on the VCU website just has the gold sections labeled “donation required” but not specific dollar amounts. Does anyone know if this means we will be able to choose any seats that are open based on when we select? This is kind of important when deciding possibly at what level to give.

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
The seating chart on the VCU website just has the gold sections labeled “donation required” but not specific dollar amounts. Does anyone know if this means we will be able to choose any seats that are open based on when we select? This is kind of important when deciding possibly at what level to give.
No. They will have sections for each donor level.

Jul 14, 2011
That is a new seating chart. And someone did say they were doing away with the zones because the order of selection (level then rank within level).
It also says 2019-2020 and there were definitely donor sections during the 19-20 season. Frankly, I will be surprise whichever way they go.