Reseating Thread

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
There's an interesting law and economics principle called the Coase theorem, where if transactional costs are low, it doesn't matter who is assigned the initial property right, parties will still come to the most efficient solution.

(I know this doesn't reward donors who cannot afford to go out and buy tickets at a premium, just wanted to share the Coase theorem 🤷‍♂️ )
Violet, that works in the classroom but probably wont work in this situation. In short the theorem basically provides: " things will work themselves out".

Also, we as donors shouldn't have to "work it out".

That is why we pay the AD.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I find it amazing that the NC State Wolfpack Club can personally call it's 20,000+ donors, but the VCU RAF can't. It's not like the VCU athletic department is busy running sporting events. If you want to grow your donor base, you have to invest in your donor base. Great customer service goes a long way to maintaining/growing your donor base. NC State's Wolfpack Club is one of the most successful donor bases in the country because they treat EVERY donor like they are important.
Well stated! I 100% agree. I have given the VCU AD what I. believe to be a great deal of money. However, I do not believe that I am any different than any other donor (Well maybe different than Stu and the Tommy J West family that gave a ton of money to set up the suite ( a HS classmate by the way)).

All fans should be treated as if they gave Stu Siegel and the TJW family money. Believe me we are a passionate group and it would make a difference. At the end of the day many feel snubbed but yet few have walked away from the Rams. Who knows maybe that's the problem.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
There was a time, not that long ago where the athletics department reached out to donors on a regular basis, even the lower level folks. That is definitely not the case any more. I can't understand where any business expects the customer to be the one to develope the relationship. The amount of money I and thousand of others have given VCU in just the past 10 years, we have no reason the suck up or attempt to have a "special relationship" I don't know Ed, never spoken to the man but it sure seems like he needs to give up 100% of Donor relations.
When I worked in the ticket office I knew almost every season ticket holder and donor. I also knew where most of them sat in the Coliseum without having to look it up. I made calls every season regarding season ticket renewal and donations. We treated people like they mattered and were important to the program, because they were. It really doesn't take much to offer a personal touch. Money has become more important to VCU than people. It was definitely different under Norwood and Dave Benedict.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
When I worked in the ticket office I knew almost every season ticket holder and donor. I also knew where most of them sat in the Coliseum without having to look it up. I made calls every season regarding season ticket renewal and donations. We treated people like they mattered and were important to the program, because they were. It really doesn't take much to offer a personal touch. Money has become more important to VCU than people. It was definitely different under Norwood and Dave Benedict.
Yeah I remember the season of the Final 4... I stopped being a student at the end of the fall semester but still wanted to attend games... so I went & talked to Meghan Millar in the ticket office & she got me hooked up with "season tickets" through the rest of the season & just gave me general admission tickets since I was going to be in the student section anyway. She also helped me get started with my donations & my first actual full season tickets the following year. Whenever I had questions I could always call her or find her at the STU & she would answer them for me... or find someone who knew the answer & get back to me ASAP. I was sad to see her go.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I felt bad for you. In fact, your situation was a topic of discussion last night at my dinner table. As a long-time season ticket holder, a contributor but not to the degree you've been, I get your feeling of being disrespected. I'm small potatoes compared to your giving, so I really didn't expect anything myself.
Thanks. However, I think all of us. The entire Ram family has been slighted. Its not just the money. Its the love, and moral support we have given our guys for decades.

We deserve better.

Reactions: enonram and wavevcu

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I find it amazing that the NC State Wolfpack Club can personally call it's 20,000+ donors, but the VCU RAF can't. It's not like the VCU athletic department is busy running sporting events. If you want to grow your donor base, you have to invest in your donor base. Great customer service goes a long way to maintaining/growing your donor base. NC State's Wolfpack Club is one of the most successful donor bases in the country because they treat EVERY donor like they are important.
Is the Wolfpack Club separate from the NC State athletic department? I know Florida State’s booster club, for example, is a separate entity from the FSU athletic department. If the Wolfpack Club is separate, then perhaps that would help to explain why they could contact 20,000 donors. Not making excuses for our athletic department; their communication skill could be much, much better. The VCU RAF is underneath the athletic department, so it can’t really take on a task like contacting donors in the current setup.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
I guess I just think differently than many when it comes to the Athletic Fund. I donate to support the athletic department and my school, not to get something in return. Knowing their needs are greater this year than ever I would have a hard time justifying asking for donated money back and then be able to sleep with the conflict of what is right. I do agree that some of the earlier explanations last spring and summer were vague but also know that these are unprecidented times. My take was always that they couldn't budget and operated under the premise that money given to the program could be taken back.

* I do wish to clarify that while my gifts are not about getting to buy tickets ( or specific tickets), I am also not a total idiot and if my donation was a few dollars from the next level up then I would adjust if I was aware.

Reactions: vcumad and Ramdog

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Is the Wolfpack Club separate from the NC State athletic department? I know Florida State’s booster club, for example, is a separate entity from the FSU athletic department. If the Wolfpack Club is separate, then perhaps that would help to explain why they could contact 20,000 donors. Not making excuses for our athletic department; their communication skill could be much, much better. The VCU RAF is underneath the athletic department, so it can’t really take on a task like contacting donors in the current setup.

Yes, it is separate from the athletic department, but it also has 20,000+ members. And it has that many members for a reason. It's called customer service and building long term relationships.

There are many forms of communication to the donors that VCU could use to stay in touch with its donors. There's generic recorded phone messages as an example. Regarding e-mails and written communication, someone in the athletic department has to know how to use mail merge to address communication on a personal level. If not, I'm sure someone in a university the size of VCU knows how. And I seriously doubt VCU even has 5,000 members in the RAF that they need to communicate with.

It all starts, though, with being committed to treat ALL donors like they are important to the program. Clemson does it and NC State does it, and look at their numbers. Clemson started out with IPTAY (I Pay Ten Dollars A Year) when they weren't very good in either football or basketball. And for those that think winning drives donations, NC State has 20,000+ Wolfpack Club members. When was the last time they won a national championship, or even an ACC championship in the money sports (football & basketball). At best , they have been average for at least the last two decades. Winning is not what grows the Wolfpack Club. And I can tell you this. Quite a few of VCU's Leadership Program graduates intern at NC State as their next step in their career. I know this personally, as I have had conversations with several of them.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Yes, it is separate from the athletic department, but it also has 20,000+ members. And it has that many members for a reason. It's called customer service and building long term relationships.

There are many forms of communication to the donors that VCU could use to stay in touch with its donors. There's generic recorded phone messages as an example.
Heck, remember when a lot of us would get those voicemail recordings by Shaka Smart before the season started or even I think around Christmas time or what not.... and I know we all used to talk about it on here & how cool it was. Even though it was clearly a recording & we all got the same message.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I guess I just think differently than many when it comes to the Athletic Fund. I donate to support the athletic department and my school, not to get something in return. Knowing their needs are greater this year than ever I would have a hard time justifying asking for donated money back and then be able to sleep with the conflict of what is right. I do agree that some of the earlier explanations last spring and summer were vague but also know that these are unprecidented times. My take was always that they couldn't budget and operated under the premise that money given to the program could be taken back.

* I do wish to clarify that while my gifts are not about getting to buy tickets ( or specific tickets), I am also not a total idiot and if my donation was a few dollars from the next level up then I would adjust if I was aware.
Ram14, I have long advocated your position on giving and why we should do so, as it is mine as well. However, what I and others are discussing is not an issue of giving for better perks, be they tickets or otherwise.

What we many are discussing is the manner in which we all have been informed of our options. In short how we have been treated.

At the end of the day, yes the institutions may experience a financial downfall. We get that but fans also my have the same short falls and outside of their "donations amount" they purchased something (in this case ticket, and access to those tickets). Given this, they do have the right to make a clear informed decision of whether or not to convert those funds that were intended purely for tickets and access to tickets. I have not seen anyone post about a demand for a refund of their annual donation.

For me, I paid about 3200 plus for 8 tickets plus the 250 ticket fee. My decision will come down to whether it is more prudent from a tax perspective to convert my ticket purchase to a donation and take the deduction this year as a credit for the next year leaving a smaller balance. Or receive my refund for my ticket purchase this year now and simply submit my entire Battering Ram (10K plus) level donation in 2021.

Again, I will and have always supported VCU Athletics not VCU ticket Sales. However, I will need to take into consideration my families needs in these tough time. Everyone else should be free to do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Bill has bought $2,500 worth of beer each year for the last 20 years, Tom has purchased $25,000 worth of beer for each of the last two years. Which one is more likely to spend $25,000 on beer next year? Loyalty is a wonderful thing and all things being equal, one should reward loyalty, but if one can inspire loyalty from a high value new customer, the choice is obvious.
Who is this Tom person, and can you pass along his email address please....