Reseating Thread

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I think the law states you cannot wear a full face mask. You have always been allowed to wear a surgical mask right?
It is probably one of those things that is left at the discretion of the officer that hasn't really needed much clarity before now. Even one of the smaller face mask with a pair of sunglasses covers pretty much everything. I'm sure they will modify it somehow before the time comes.
I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to refer to full face masks (ski masks, etc).

Ramaste

Top Member
Mar 25, 2012
I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to refer to full face masks (ski masks, etc).
The Virginia statute prohibits wearing a mask where a "substantial portion of the face is hidden" "with the intent to conceal" the identity. There are several exceptions including wearing one for medical reasons or if the property owner gives consent or if the Gov gives his o.k. I think mask wearing after June 15, if the Gov follows through, will be permitted but not required.

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
The Virginia statute prohibits wearing a mask where a "substantial portion of the face is hidden" "with the intent to conceal" the identity. There are several exceptions including wearing one for medical reasons or if the property owner gives consent or if the Gov gives his o.k. I think mask wearing after June 15, if the Gov follows through, will be permitted but not required.
Yeah, I think that seems reasonable.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I agree. It'll be interesting to see how things go if private companies say they want folks masked up on their premises.

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009
The governor's lead counsel says that unless the governor issues some type of modification on the wearing of masks in Virginia it will again be illegal to wear a mask starting 7/1/2021 due to the expiration of the emergency executive order.

"Northam and his staff cautioned, however, that Virginia will continue to follow federal health guidelines on wearing protective face masks and may reissue the emergency declaration so people can continue to legally wear face masks without violating a state law that otherwise prohibits them for public safety."

Last edited:

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
The governor's lead counsel says that unless the governor issues some type of modification on the wearing of masks in Virginia it will again be illegal to wear a mask starting 7/1/2021 due to the expiration of the emergency executive order.

"Northam and his staff cautioned, however, that Virginia will continue to follow federal health guidelines on wearing protective face masks and may reissue the emergency declaration so people can continue to legally wear face masks without violating a state law that otherwise prohibits them for public safety."
This is really interesting and is something I never thought of. I expect that going forward there will be a portion of the population that wants to continue wearing masks in indoor public places for some period of time ... perhaps permanently. Others may decide during flu season that it's a good idea. I suspect that after everything we've been through in the last year, there won't be anyone who argues with them. With that said, the one place where I could see it being a giant problem is in a bank.

With alllll of that said, I was ecstatic to hear the governor's news the other day that the restrictions could be allowed to expire. My very first thought (and I'm sure a lot of people's on here) was about returning to normal in the Siegel Center in the fall.

Ramaste

Top Member
Mar 25, 2012
The only thing that can make it "illegal" to wear a mask is the statue: 18.2-422. According to the statute, the mask wearer must intend to conceal their identity. That would be hard to prove if the person wearing the mask was simply doing it out of health reasons. Also, the mask must cover "a substanial portion of the face" I'd be curious to see how substantial portion is defined in the Va courts. I'd be surprised if a KN95 mask, which is smaller than some of the cloth masks I've seen, would be prohibitive. The law was intended to prevent hooded wearing KKKers.

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009
The only thing that can make it "illegal" to wear a mask is the statue: 18.2-422. According to the statute, the mask wearer must intend to conceal their identity. That would be hard to prove if the person wearing the mask was simply doing it out of health reasons. Also, the mask must cover "a substanial portion of the face" I'd be curious to see how substantial portion is defined in the Va courts. I'd be surprised if a KN95 mask, which is smaller than some of the cloth masks I've seen, would be prohibitive. The law was intended to prevent hooded wearing KKKers.
The words are "to continue to wear a mask in the state of Virginia"

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
We typically frown on anything that comes out of the body and gets on others. No reason not to include spittle microns from being any different than urine and feces. I say that for the sake of all, we should all continue to have to wear mouth diapers. It’s just the right thing to do. Note: Sweat is okay, even though I stopped having 2 or 3 colds every year after I stopped playing pick up basketball 5 days a week.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Sorry, but we are nearing the peak amount of people who are willing to get vaxxed.
We are not going to get to herd immunity unless (unfourtantely) a lot of people die off.
This is something that could have been nipped in the bud 100% , and would ahve only cost us 0ne baskeball season, now it's going to have major impacts on at least three.
The longer this thing is allowed to linger and fester, the more deadyl the new variants wil be.
wrong

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
Facts don't care about your feelings.

An opinion piece (not fact) from a CNN paid medical analyst about what she worries about. Fascinating.

Per her Twitter account, she also advocates for no restrictions on those vaccinated. I’d assume that means a VCU b ball game. No agenda to see here. Move along please.

I do love the other link you provided that confirms herd immunity occurs through vaccinations AND prior infections.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newboy