Reseating Thread

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I didn't expect this to be addressed during the season, but hopefully they will release a seating chart and details about the seat selection process before the donation deadline so people can make informed decisions about how much or if they want to donate.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I got the email. I think this is ill-advised or poor timing if nothing else. I wonder if part of the reasoning is to 'test the waters' by volume of reactions (emails and calls to RAF). If they get an outpouring of concerns, they may kick it down the road or adjust the payment options.

My big question is what will the attrition rate be? The lack luster season aside, we're in a recession and it's just starting. How many corporate donors will opt out this year? Will the corners be empty (they weren't packed this year)? Will Saxon Shoes continue to buy empty seats? How many of us or partners will be laid off and unable to fund the donation?

For me personally, I'm going to have to think hard about continuing my donation level or donations entirely. My method of funding is tied to the market and...well...don;t need to say how that looks. (I'll acknowledge this is a decision I'd have to make regardless of re-seating. The re-seating is just adding insult to injury.)
I am curious about what the attrition rate will be as well. I know someone who won’t be renewing season tickets next year because they think they will be able to buy single game tickets cheaper then buying season tickets. Personally, I have said for a while on here the AD needs to more proactive in making season ticket holders feel like there is value for their donations.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I am curious about what the attrition rate will be as well. I know someone who won’t be renewing season tickets next year because they think they will be able to buy single game tickets cheaper then buying season tickets. Personally, I have said for a while on here the AD needs to more proactive in making season ticket holders feel like there is value for their donations.
If they don’t want to come ...don’t come . Every seat might not be filled but it will be full and with the band kicking @ss and dance team doing their thing and the kids chanting and singing ....no better place to be...especially as the boys are putting 12 -2 run on somebody. Entertainment at its finest

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
That is a new seating chart. And someone did say they were doing away with the zones because the order of selection (level then rank within level).
I heard that b/c of the new tax laws that VCU (and other schools) can not have seating governed by donation level. The Trump tax cuts removed deductions for donations linked directly to seating at athletic events. That is why they have $125 gift tied to the seats/ tickets now and separate the other donation as philanthropic. That allows the individual to deduct the philanthropic gift. I think the whole arena is up for grabs and VCU will be allowing the people to pick anywhere based on their priority points.
I think this is a big reason why VCU will plow ahead with reseating this year.

Reactions: PuddinDaStunna
May 5, 2009
As a member of the capital campaign I charge carded my annual pledge several days ago through the athletic department. However, it was posted in a School of Business account. It has puzzled me. Any explanations.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
If they don’t want to come ...don’t come . Every seat might not be filled but it will be full and with the band kicking @ss and dance team doing their thing and the kids chanting and singing ....no better place to be...especially as the boys are putting 12 -2 run on somebody. Entertainment at its finest
I agree with @Ramcounter here. They should do something to add value for season ticket holders. He is not talking about people that will stop going to games. He is talking about people not donating and purchasing season tickets because they can buy single game tickets cheaper than the cost of donating and purchasing season tickets. Last season the seats right beside me were available for every game through the VCU athletics website. Reseating will help some of that if they fill those gaps with other season ticket holders. You may no longer be able to get as good of seats by purchasing individual games, but the price will be much lower. Between the new tax laws, the changing economy, a disappointing season, and the decrease in the max number of tickets from 10 to 6 there will probably be a lot of seats available. Will they make any changes to encourage fans to donate and purchase season tickets vs buying cheaper individual game tickets other than priority points? The secondary market for ticket sales was pretty soft last season as well so many may choose to go that route for tickets as well. In the past All Sports Passes and Commonwealth Room access encouraged many people to donate. Now they have done away with the All Sports Passes and the Commonwealth Room is less important to many since they have opened up beer sales to the entire arena.

Reactions: Ramcounter

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
As a member of the capital campaign I charge carded my annual pledge several days ago through the athletic department. However, it was posted in a School of Business account. It has puzzled me. Any explanations.
I would assume it is either an error, or more likely an accounting trick to get around the 2018 tax laws.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I should have been more clear. The person I was referring to is planning to go to every home game but simply buying single game tickets instead of season tickets. He is betting that the total costs of single game tickets will be cheaper then season tickets and a donation. If he actually ends up paying less per game compared to my costs then I will have to re-evaluate what I am actually getting for my money.

Reactions: GRID

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Theoretically it's possible that it's cheaper buying single game tickets if you're able to buy them through VCU, or find people that will give you tickets on the cheap... and not trying to recoup their season ticket/donation costs.

Question... before I start trying to mathematically figure this out.... I need rough estimates on the following game types that VCU has charged in the recent past when buying single game tickets. So whoever can help just make a list. And I'll add it up.

Sparring changes, Old Dominion will be on the road this year... so leave them out.

VCU Home Opener- ?
Non Marquee Games that go with early season tourneys- ?
Non Marquee Games in December- ?
Marquee Non Conf. Games (LSU, Texas, UVA, Cincy, UNLV- this year... etc.)
Non Marquee Conference games (SJU, La Salle, UMass.. etc.)- ?
Marquee conference games (Richmond, Dayton, Rhody, Davidson, Saint Louis, GMU... etc.)
Senior Night- ?

Just give me a rough estimate of prices for those games... and I'll see what it comes out to be.

Feb 14, 2011
I should have been more clear. The person I was referring to is planning to go to every home game but simply buying single game tickets instead of season tickets. He is betting that the total costs of single game tickets will be cheaper then season tickets and a donation. If he actually ends up paying less per game compared to my costs then I will have to re-evaluate what I am actually getting for my money.
Generally speaking, buying single game tickets from VCU or even the secondary market has been cheaper the past 5 or so years. I'm not including the LSU, Butler, TX type games, the average games. Even an average level donor say spending $2500 on a donation and buying 4 season tickets, each game costs about $65 per seat and those aren't the best seats in the place.

Some folks don't donate to the RAF for the sole purpose of getting tickets. They look at it as an investment into VCU and the athletics program. The money to help pay an athletes tuition needs to come from somewhere. Some donate for the sole purpose of basketball tickets.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I give way more than I need to so I guess I look at what I pay for the pleasure of going to games includes money to help VCU invest in the program...not really looking for the cheapest way in the door or how much swag I’m going to get. But to each his own...if you wait till 5 minutes after each game starts you could probably attend every home game for less than$100 bucks total...and still get a t shirt or two thrown your way.