Reseating Thread

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Generally speaking, buying single game tickets from VCU or even the secondary market has been cheaper the past 5 or so years. I'm not including the LSU, Butler, TX type games, the average games. Even an average level donor say spending $2500 on a donation and buying 4 season tickets, each game costs about $65 per seat and those aren't the best seats in the place.

Some folks don't donate to the RAF for the sole purpose of getting tickets. They look at it as an investment into VCU and the athletics program. The money to help pay an athletes tuition needs to come from somewhere. Some donate for the sole purpose of basketball tickets.
I do appreciate your and @Ramdog responses. Ultimately, I do feel like there are missed opportunities that are either free or are low cost to keep season ticket holders who are donating solely for basketball tickets.

Reactions: DisplacedRam

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I should have been more clear. The person I was referring to is planning to go to every home game but simply buying single game tickets instead of season tickets. He is betting that the total costs of single game tickets will be cheaper then season tickets and a donation. If he actually ends up paying less per game compared to my costs then I will have to re-evaluate what I am actually getting for my money.
I'm a season ticket holder, but I also have two children, and I've decided to give up my season ticket for next year. It's not that I don't want to support the athletic program, because I do, but I have to put two children through college. Value is thus extremely important to me.

Last year, I paid the minimum amount for a season ticket: $250 dollar donation plus $495 for the ticket. That comes out to about $41 dollars a ticket ($750 total/18 games). On Senior night this past year against Duquesne, there were $15 dollar tickets available on game day. It thus cost me more than twice what someone else paid who just showed up before the game.

I figure that demand next year will be even lower. I should be able to get into every game for $15 except for UNLV and fur. Even if I pay an extra $50 for tickets to these two games, I'm going to save more than $400 over the course of the year by purchasing individual tickets.

May 5, 2009
I'm a season ticket holder, but I also have two children, and I've decided to give up my season ticket for next year. It's not that I don't want to support the athletic program, because I do, but I have to put two children through college. Value is thus extremely important to me.

Last year, I paid the minimum amount for a season ticket: $250 dollar donation plus $495 for the ticket. That comes out to about $41 dollars a ticket ($750 total/18 games). On Senior night this past year against Duquesne, there were $15 dollar tickets available on game day. It thus cost me more than twice what someone else paid who just showed up before the game.

I figure that demand next year will be even lower. I should be able to get into every game for $15 except for UNLV and fur. Even if I pay an extra $50 for tickets to these two games, I'm going to save more than $400 over the course of the year by purchasing individual tickets.
Even if you do not buy tickets, continue with your donation.

J

jdii

Would be nice to see what the 2020-21 Philanthropic Giving Benefits Chart looks like. That would go a long ways toward helping people make their decision.

Feb 14, 2011

Many of us have been there; there's a lot better places we could or more importantly NEED to spend money. Like Mike said, continue with some amount of donation if you see yourself and the family being Ram supporters in the future. The points from consecutive years of giving add up.

Feb 14, 2011
I do appreciate your and @Ramdog responses. Ultimately, I do feel like there are missed opportunities that are either free or are low cost to keep season ticket holders who are donating solely for basketball tickets.
Understandably, The AD really started cutting benefits and nickel and dimming supporters post final four, supply and demand. I hope the AD takes a hard look at some of the small things they did in the 2000's. I believe some of those things are part of the reason for some of the dedicated donors, the ones that give without much though on seat selection, it was a group effort toward building better athletics programs, not only MBB.

Apr 20, 2009
Theoretically it's possible that it's cheaper buying single game tickets if you're able to buy them through VCU, or find people that will give you tickets on the cheap... and not trying to recoup their season ticket/donation costs.

Question... before I start trying to mathematically figure this out.... I need rough estimates on the following game types that VCU has charged in the recent past when buying single game tickets. So whoever can help just make a list. And I'll add it up.

Sparring changes, Old Dominion will be on the road this year... so leave them out.

VCU Home Opener- ?
Non Marquee Games that go with early season tourneys- ?
Non Marquee Games in December- ?
Marquee Non Conf. Games (LSU, Texas, UVA, Cincy, UNLV- this year... etc.)
Non Marquee Conference games (SJU, La Salle, UMass.. etc.)- ?
Marquee conference games (Richmond, Dayton, Rhody, Davidson, Saint Louis, GMU... etc.)
Senior Night- ?

Just give me a rough estimate of prices for those games... and I'll see what it comes out to be.
The vast majority of home games had GA tickets for $25. Richmond and ODU i believe were $45..i think LSU was $55. Reserved seats im not sure about. For the big games only GA tickets were available.

Chrissy

Top Member
Oct 11, 2012

We have 4 season tickets and a parking pass. We are giving ours up as well. I hate to do it because I love supporting VCU and this team. Over the many years we have had to pay more and more for worse seats. Seems like there are always tickets available through GA and resale so that's what we will be doing. To maintain what we have had these last bunch of years since the last reseating would require us to spend an additional 1k and I can't do it.