Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

Mistachill

Elite Member
Does anyone actually know what the expectations are from MR on a year in year out basis? It is hard to judge anything if you don’t have a baseline to compare it to.
This is bit tricky. Is MR the one who sets the expectations for the program? Shouldn't it align with the expectations of the president, AD, donors, fans, etc.? For example (and I'm not saying this is the case before anybody jumps on me), MR could feel that just getting to the dance most of the time is "his" expectation. Suppose the president is thinking that we need (not want or hope) to get to another sweet 16 in the not too distant future given what we're investing in the program?

I do agree that MR should be the best gauge of our talent-level and in that sense his expectations are relevant. But the flip side of that could be that our president has higher expectations and if MR can't deliver what he's seeking, maybe he goes a different direction?

Ramcounter

Elite Member
This is bit tricky. Is MR the one who sets the expectations for the program? Shouldn't it align with the expectations of the president, AD, donors, fans, etc.? For example (and I'm not saying this is the case before anybody jumps on me), MR could feel that just getting to the dance most of the time is "his" expectation. Suppose the president is thinking that we need (not want or hope) to get to another sweet 16 in the not too distant future given what we're investing in the program?

I do agree that MR should be the best gauge of our talent-level and in that sense his expectations are relevant. But the flip side of that could be that our president has higher expectations and if MR can't deliver what he's seeking, maybe he goes a different direction?
IMHO the donors, fans, AD, and president should all have the same idea of what the expectations are of the program because otherwise the whole system doesn’t work. If MR knows the expectations are a tournament bid every 4 years than he can try to build a class with 4/5 upperclassmen starters and have 2 years of rebuildIng. If the fans are paying for the expectations of tournament bids every year or two than that system doesn’t work and the use of transfers are needed. Also, why spend the money for a high level program if you don’t get and or want the results. Simply cut the athletic salaries/facilities budget and let the students have a cheaper college.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
I think to justify the spend in MBB, the program has to greatly benefit the overall student body, the profile of the university and the alumni/ community base. That is what concerns me currently. I see less student engagement, less alums giving a hoot about the program and even some die hard fans feeling marginalized and dropping back (or in some cases completely out). Winning helps this. NCAA appearances and NCAA tourney wins help this. A great conference and OOC schedule helps this. Authentic connection to the alum base helps this (this includes affordable tickets to some games).
I read some posts that people give bc of the players. That is ok and they are definitely making a difference in these players and families lives. I want the impact to go way beyond the 13 scholarship players and creating generational wealth for our coach. From 2000 to 2017 or so it felt like we were hitting those objectives above. Now, not so much.

Last edited:

PhantomRam

Elite Member
Ok, here to vent and I am sure some of you will roll your eyes at my apparent pettiness......

As I have communicated on these boards many times, I have not heard a peep from the athletic department since I gave up my donation or season tickets 2 years ago, not one email, not one phone call, nothing. And not that I was expecting one, just seems the course for the AD.

Today, received a letter from the Planned Giving Committee for a commitment to VCU AD in my estate and legacy planning. This, I have no problem with (I won't do it, but that is beside the point). I was actually excited when I saw the envelope thinking just maybe the AD wanted me back. :) However, they still have no idea that I am no longer a donor (the letter references my current support and "as one of our loyal donors", blah blah blah. And they finish the letter by thanking me for my ongoing support.

And here is where the pettiness comes in, the salutation of the letter was -- Dear S.P., I mean really? Those are my first two initials, no last name, no Mr (or Mr. and Mrs.). You want me to leave you money when I reach room temperature but you can't get my name correct in the salutation of a formal letter? Just plain sloppy. I know it was probably a huge mailing using a huge data base and it couldn't be but so personal, But still, at least make it appear like you care.

Anyway, I happen to receive a letter today from a charity I have supported through the years (not a big time charity, but a local charity that helps the local homeless). They got it correct..... Dear Mr & Mrs Paul Phantom

ok rant over.... now back to regular scheduled programming.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Trend?

a one year trend?

ur made the tournament for the first in 10 years and won’t make it next year

their 15 minutes are up

probably right on the spiders, more concerned that our 60 mins might be on the same trend.

Really wasn’t stumping for the spiders, just hits home that in one lucky week they stacked up more meaningful wins than we have in the past five years.

On a comp basis, you are right there is no comparing legacies.

We have a much higher baseline of success though, sorta comes with the territory.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
Quite frankly if MR's expectation is to finish in the top 4, make the tourny and win a game or two -- I consider that a loser mentality.

rammad90

Elite Member
Raise your hand if you would rather have ur basket legacy
Who would that's the point and that's whey we scratch our head that our guys did such a nose dive at the end of the season. They should have been better than 1-3 over their last 4.

I am a Mike fan, I like the guy and I loved the hire. However, 1-3 when the rubber hit the road is on Coach that's why he makes the big bucks. Really big bucks. Now I am not calling for his firing but hey.

we should never have to discuss our programs state vs UR’s. Ever. We get more exposure. We get waaay more revenue. We pump in waay more money into the program whether it’s coaches, facilities, etc. If we even have to discuss them doing better than us in anything except wearing more sweater vests at games and doing uncreative chants than we got an issue.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Who would that's the point and that's whey we scratch our head that our guys did such a nose dive at the end of the season. They should have been better than 1-3 over their last 4.

I am a Mike fan, I like the guy and I loved the hire. However, 1-3 when the rubber hit the road is on Coach that's why he makes the big bucks. Really big bucks. Now I am not calling for his firing but hey.
and lets not forget how we ended 2020 which you could argue was worse than how our final 4 regular season ended.

and lets not forget how we ended 2020 which you could argue was worse than how our final 4 regular season ended.

Urgh if you were a mod, admin, etc of any VCU social media or forum during that time you wanted rip your eyes and ears off and fling them in the James. Heck if you were just on Twitter following our team. It didn’t matter if it was a basketball group, positive group, the we suck like heck and are ugly group (Ok that’s not the name of that group.). It was toxic everywhere with players, families, fans,etc. Atleast the final four team stuck together when things were bad.

Mistachill

Elite Member
Ok, here to vent and I am sure some of you will roll your eyes at my apparent pettiness......

As I have communicated on these boards many times, I have not heard a peep from the athletic department since I gave up my donation or season tickets 2 years ago, not one email, not one phone call, nothing. And not that I was expecting one, just seems the course for the AD.

Today, received a letter from the Planned Giving Committee for a commitment to VCU AD in my estate and legacy planning. This, I have no problem with (I won't do it, but that is beside the point). I was actually excited when I saw the envelope thinking just maybe the AD wanted me back. :) However, they still have no idea that I am no longer a donor (the letter references my current support and "as one of our loyal donors", blah blah blah. And they finish the letter by thanking me for my ongoing support.

And here is where the pettiness comes in, the salutation of the letter was -- Dear S.P., I mean really? Those are my first two initials, no last name, no Mr (or Mr. and Mrs.). You want me to leave you money when I reach room temperature but you can't get my name correct in the salutation of a formal letter? Just plain sloppy. I know it was probably a huge mailing using a huge data base and it couldn't be but so personal, But still, at least make it appear like you care.

Anyway, I happen to receive a letter today from a charity I have supported through the years (not a big time charity, but a local charity that helps the local homeless). They got it correct..... Dear Mr & Mrs Paul Phantom

ok rant over.... now back to regular scheduled programming.
I don't think it is petty at all. As I have mentioned previously, there's a lot of competition for charitable giving. I had a similar experience. After years of consistent giving and season tickets I decided to bail and haven't heard anything from athletics. Maybe that works during the height of the Shaka years, but that's not where we are today. Would I consider going back? I doubt it, at least not the way things seem to operate currently.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Urgh if you were a mod, admin, etc of any VCU social media or forum during that time you wanted rip your eyes and ears off and fling them in the James. Heck if you were just on Twitter following our team. It didn’t matter if it was a basketball group, positive group, the we suck like heck and are ugly group (Ok that’s not the name of that group.). It was toxic everywhere with players, families, fans,etc. Atleast the final four team stuck together when things were bad.
2 things to this.

1. The Final 4 team had little to no expectations compared to teams since then. Not even close. Sure you had the "fire shaka" people during the CBI year & again during February 2011.... but nothing compared to the level of expectations on players & coaches now.

2. Other than maybe the 2015 team of ours.... I'd argue no team of ours from the 2011 season until now was tougher from Top to bottom than our final 4 squad. I'll give the 2015 team their props... they managed to go on a run & win the A10 tourney (only one to date thus far) with one of their best players (Briante Weber) out after a college career ending injury, and Treveon Graham being beaten & banged up & I swear he was playing through pain & injuries himself. We had some tough dudes on that team in 2015.

But other than that.... no other team from Top to bottom has come close to being as physically & mentally tough as our 2011 squad. And certainly no team under MR has been physically or mentally tough as either the 2011 or 2015 team. Certain players maybe, but certainly not the whole team.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Does anyone actually know what the expectations are from MR on a year in year out basis? It is hard to judge anything if you don’t have a baseline to compare it to.
You can go ask.