Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

You can go ask.

I mean I think he’s gonna say the typical contend for the A10 and get to the NCAAs to make a run answer. I doubt he’s gonna say win a national title nor say something like expectations change year to year to avoid the question. I think Rhoades is smart enough to not back himself into a corner.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I mean I think he’s gonna say the typical contend for the A10 and get to the NCAAs to make a run answer. I doubt he’s gonna say win a national title nor say something like expectations change year to year to avoid the question. I think Rhoades is smart enough to not back himself into a corner.
I am pretty sure he always wants to win the A10 and get into the NCAA tournament and make a run. It is not hard to figure out what he wants. He wants the same thing as most of us want.

I am pretty sure he always wants to win the A10 and get into the NCAA tournament and make a run. It is not hard to figure out what he wants. He wants the same thing as most of us want.

What someone wants and what they expect are different things. We all want a national title. Pretty much no one here expects it. Rhoades isn’t gonna come out and say like we expect round of 32 or sweet 16. If he does it’s out there to be scrutinized. He’s smart enough to answer more vague where solid lines aren’t drawn. No one is gonna straight up put him on the spot with a “What expectations do you have each year? A10? 32? 16? 8? Etc?” type question. Even if they did he’s gonna lay a certain standard down for the reason I just mentioned.

Mistachill

Elite Member
2 things to this.

1. The Final 4 team had little to no expectations compared to teams since then. Not even close. Sure you had the "fire shaka" people during the CBI year & again during February 2011.... but nothing compared to the level of expectations on players & coaches now.

2. Other than maybe the 2015 team of ours.... I'd argue no team of ours from the 2011 season until now was tougher from Top to bottom than our final 4 squad. I'll give the 2015 team their props... they managed to go on a run & win the A10 tourney (only one to date thus far) with one of their best players (Briante Weber) out after a college career ending injury, and Treveon Graham being beaten & banged up & I swear he was playing through pain & injuries himself. We had some tough dudes on that team in 2015.

But other than that.... no other team from Top to bottom has come close to being as physically & mentally tough as our 2011 squad. And certainly no team under MR has been physically or mentally tough as either the 2011 or 2015 team. Certain players maybe, but certainly not the whole team.
I would push back on a couple of your points:

1) 2012 team had lower expectations than the 2011 team. I mean we lost Joey, Skeen, Nixon and Rozzell. What we accomplished that season may have been one of the most impressive and underrated coaching jobs in recent VCU history.

2) Obviously the final four run proved the 2011 team's toughness. But one could argue if the team was really that tough how did we end up making it to the dance by the skin of our teeth and mainly because that was the first season the tournament was expanded? That senior night home loss to JMU (barely over .500 in conference at the time) came close to destroying the entire season for us.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
You can go ask.
I wonder whose idea this was. I don't remember them doing it before. Maybe they did or it was called something else

even top 100 UNT is doing it

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I would push back on a couple of your points:

1) 2012 team had lower expectations than the 2011 team. I mean we lost Joey, Skeen, Nixon and Rozzell. What we accomplished that season may have been one of the most impressive and underrated coaching jobs in recent VCU history.

2) Obviously the final four run proved the 2011 team's toughness. But one could argue if the team was really that tough how did we end up making it to the dance by the skin of our teeth and mainly because that was the first season the tournament was expanded? That senior night home loss to JMU (barely over .500 in conference at the time) came close to destroying the entire season for us.

1. While the 2012 team may have had lower expectations than the 2011.... my comment was more so general.... not necessarily going year by year. Cause clearly MR's first year we had little to no expectations as well... Considering MR came in with only 5 or 6 players & had to recruit the rest (not counting ME who he brought with him from Rice).

2. I mean a lot of those losses down the stretch hurt.... 4 conference losses, 3 of which were at home no less..... but then we followed it up with a run to the CAA Championship game. And in doing so we had to be 2 of the teams that beat us down the stretch at the end of the regular season.... Drexel & George Mason who beat the ever loving piss out of us at home by 20 pts. We had 19 pts at the half in that game against GMU in February.... 19!

You think that team in 2020, that lost 8 out of its last 10 games, would've been able to rally & make a run for the A10 Tournament Championship game... if the Tournament had happened? He11 no.

Also... you don't really know how tough a team is until it hits adversity. that 2011 team lost 4 of it's last 5 games in the regular season, all 4 conference games.... 3 of which were at home in the STU. Most teams losing like that down the stretch woulda bowed out in the first or 2nd game of their conference tournament. And they dang sure would not have gone 1st four to Final 4 like we did in the NCAA Tourney if they got in by the skin of their teeth like we did.

That's why I say that was one of our toughest teams.

Mistachill

Elite Member
1. While the 2012 team may have had lower expectations than the 2011.... my comment was more so general.... not necessarily going year by year. Cause clearly MR's first year we had little to no expectations as well... Considering MR came in with only 5 or 6 players & had to recruit the rest (not counting ME who he brought with him from Rice).

2. I mean a lot of those losses down the stretch hurt.... 4 conference losses, 3 of which were at home no less..... but then we followed it up with a run to the CAA Championship game. And in doing so we had to be 2 of the teams that beat us down the stretch at the end of the regular season.... Drexel & George Mason who beat the ever loving piss out of us at home by 20 pts. We had 19 pts at the half in that game against GMU in February.... 19!

You think that team in 2020, that lost 8 out of its last 10 games, would've been able to rally & make a run for the A10 Tournament Championship game... if the Tournament had happened? He11 no.

Also... you don't really know how tough a team is until it hits adversity. that 2011 team lost 4 of it's last 5 games in the regular season, all 4 conference games.... 3 of which were at home in the STU. Most teams losing like that down the stretch woulda bowed out in the first or 2nd game of their conference tournament. And they dang sure would not have gone 1st four to Final 4 like we did in the NCAA Tourney if they got in by the skin of their teeth like we did.

That's why I say that was one of our toughest teams.
Just playing devil's advocate.

Kinda like a Rocky Marciano scenario. Doesn't matter how much he got the crap beat out of him early in the fight, the only thing that mattered is getting the win at the end. What is crazy is the lack of toughest prior to the dance almost prevented us from finding out what that team was really made of.

Regarding the 2020 team. If we're going to be honest about it, you really never know. It's not unprecedented for a talented team who underachieved all season to finally put it together and win the conference tournament. Heck, the last time East Carolina danced they finished next to last in the CAA, was 13-17 overall, 4-10 in conference and somehow won the tournament. So you never know.

SteveMM

Elite Member
Regarding the 2020 team. If we're going to be honest about it, you really never know. It's not unprecedented for a talented team who underachieved all season to finally put it together and win the conference tournament. Heck, the last time East Carolina danced they finished next to last in the CAA, was 13-17 overall, 4-10 in conference and somehow won the tournament. So you never know.
I think all you need to do is point to UR last season.

Are we really trying to suggest the most toxic team we ever had would win the A10 no less when Dayton was wrecking everyone? That season was done. Players were going after each other. Families and fans feuding. Families attacking coaches. But yeah suddenly we’re gonna run the A10 tourney. UR won the tourney because everyone doubted those players and said they were garbage. It united them. Even UR players said the fans don’t matter to them since they never supported them. The 2020 team and UR team this year have nothing in common.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
Are we really trying to suggest the most toxic team we ever had would win the A10 no less when Dayton was wrecking everyone? That season was done. Players were going after each other. Families and fans feuding. Families attacking coaches. But yeah suddenly we’re gonna run the A10 tourney. UR won the tourney because everyone doubted those players and said they were garbage. It united them. Even UR players said the fans don’t matter to them since they never supported them. The 2020 team and UR team this year have nothing in common.
i would love to know what exactly happened that year. It started with such promise and ended so poorly.

i would love to know what exactly happened that year. It started with such promise and ended so poorly.
Egos. The team was full of them which their families stroked. When those players didn’t get the ball like they wanted or the playing time they took it to social media and their families lashed out on coaches publicly. Players got into Twitter wars with fans being critical of the team’s play. You had families of players literally saying our coaches were idiots on Facebook VCU groups. I’ve seen some toxic teams and been part of some in my time but that was another level. I hope I never see that again here.

Don’t get me wrong we’ve had some big egos at VCU but they put them aside for the team.

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
When did it Start with promise? We began the year with No Ace and perhaps not seeing him until January, we began the year ( within about a week after beginning practice) by losing another key player in Watkins and a back up in McCallister. Tso was shooting about 15-20 % from 3point range, Ward attempting 3 pointers and showing no progression, Nichol being a disappointment,... I think before The Bahamas many of us were just hoping not to have an embarrassing season and hoped the Ace we saw vs SLU the year before was the guy who could help turn things around ( he was and did). Now if you are talking "start" as after Ace returned and we went into conference play then perhaps I see that. Downfall, I think it was a fine line between winning and losing because we had deficits. Ward kept having nagging issues, couldn't focus long in most games and except for a few stretches of games was not the player we were expecting this year, Levi left his game and contributions in The Bahamas , and truth be told that several of our opponets had many more offensive weapons than we. Some of that social media stuff from parents or "fans" didn't play into team chemistry because the team knew why some decisions were being made as to minutes. They are at practice (or not if you get my drift) daily to see how minutes are earned and why distributed. Of course that doesn't mean they agree with some of those choices just as many of us didn't, just means it wasn't breaking down team chemistry.
I think again that we had to play really well to win and couldn't afford a drop in focus or intensity and get away with it, see SLU which really messed up the endingin of our season.

That all said @Ramcounter , I am with you that I enter every season with promise and great hope. I entered last year with worry after losing Bones and Watkins.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
When did it Start with promise? We began the year with No Ace and perhaps not seeing him until January, we began the year ( within about a week after beginning practice) by losing another key player in Watkins and a back up in McCallister. Tso was shooting about 15-20 % from 3point range, Ward attempting 3 pointers and showing no progression, Nichol being a disappointment,... I think before The Bahamas many of us were just hoping not to have an embarrassing season and hoped the Ace we saw vs SLU the year before was the guy who could help turn things around ( he was and did). Now if you are talking "start" as after Ace returned and we went into conference play then perhaps I see that. Downfall, I think it was a fine line between winning and losing because we had deficits. Ward kept having nagging issues, couldn't focus long in most games and except for a few stretches of games was not the player we were expecting this year, Levi left his game and contributions in The Bahamas , and truth be told that several of our opponets had many more offensive weapons than we. Some of that social media stuff from parents or "fans" didn't play into team chemistry because the team knew why some decisions were being made as to minutes. They are at practice (or not if you get my drift) daily to see how minutes are earned and why distributed. Of course that doesn't mean they agree with some of those choices just as many of us didn't, just means it wasn't breaking down team chemistry.
I think again that we had to play really well to win and couldn't afford a drop in focus or intensity and get away with it, see SLU which really messed up the endingin of our season.

That all said @Ramcounter , I am with you that I enter every season with promise and great hope. I entered last year with worry after losing Bones and Watkins.
I was referring to that 2019-2020 season when the team was preseason top 25 started with such promise. I was very impressed with how well the team performed last year and they way over performed my expectations last year.

Last edited:

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
I was referring to that 2018-2019 season when the team was preseason top 25 started with such promise. I was very impressed with how well the team performed last year and they way over performed my expectations last year.
I kinda think you are talking 2019-2020 that had about every injury (physically, emotionally, and mentally ) that undermined great hopes and ended with a fragment of the team that never got to tip off in the A-10 due to Covid. The 2018-19 team didn't enter with high expectations but the defense was pinpoint and we went on a tear through the conference and all was good until Evan's got injured in Brooklyn then played hobbled vs The Giant Tako and crew. correct me if I am wrong.

Mistachill

Elite Member
I don't think anybody is suggesting they WOULD win. All I ever said was you never know (see Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson). This is sports after all. If you could guarantee anything in sports gambling wouldn't be big business. I think we all know it was highly unlikely. I'm saying not impossible.