Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

If you look at what the VCU baseball team needs, Vs what the Squirrels need, you'll realize what they are building , you'll realize they are spending way more to caer o the Squirrels. Much more about Rao and the AD being kingmakers than helping the baseball team
I have a little different perspective
The minor league baseball team has been exceptionally helpful for VCU baseball for over 30 years by allowing us to share the Diamond when they did not have to allow that . VCU's use creates extra wear and tear on the field and the amount of money we paid in lease payments was not commensurate with what VCU Baseball got

all that said, I have always believed VCU should build its own baseball stadium and practice field/s and not be a tenant, subject to so many dates we cannot use stadium in April and May - VCU only needs 2k seats at most and maybe a berm beyond the outfield for picnics or fans with kids that want space for them to run around etc

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The minor league baseball team has been exceptionally helpful for VCU baseball for over 30 years by allowing us to share the Diamond when they did not have to allow that . VCU's use creates extra wear and tear on the field and the amount of money we paid in lease payments was not commensurate with what VCU Baseball got

all that said, I have always believed VCU should build its own baseball stadium and practice field/s and not be a tenant, subject to so many dates we cannot use stadium in April and May - VCU only needs 2k seats at most and maybe a berm beyond the outfield for picnics or fans with kids that want space for them to run around etc
There isn’t room for 2 stadiums. And the seasons don’t line up anyway, so there’s no real conflicts other than not having enough locker rooms at the Diamond. That will be fixed with the new stadium. I think this combo relationship is just fine. It’s done by many universities with various facilities.

Last edited:

MidPen Ram

Elite Member
If you look at what the VCU baseball team needs, Vs what the Squirrels need, you'll realize what they are building , you'll realize they are spending way more to caer o the Squirrels. Much more about Rao and the AD being kingmakers than helping the baseball team
Respectfully have to disagree. I feel like the Squirrels have been a fantastic partner with VCU (I personally witnessed this last spring at the A10 baseball tournament) and reciprocating that partnership is mutually beneficial. Sure, does VCU need an 8,000 seat minor league stadium? No of course not. The Diamond is not laid out to be a dual-tennant facility, but a ground-up design for a dual tennant facility benefits both parties, and enables the project to come to fruition which benefits the area as a whole. And should VCU make a run, it gives us a perfectly viable facility to host future regionals/super regionals (unlike ODU, which had to play as a 1 seed on the road last year because their facility wasn't qualified to host).

I'm all for this partnership

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

It's not that simple. If you build a stadium, you also want to be able to qualify to host an NCAA regional. The NCAA has strict guidelines regarding minimum facility requirements in order to host a regional. That's why fodu was a #1 regional seed last year and was sent to Columbia, SC. Their baseball facility did not meet the minimum NCAA requirements. That's also why they are raising several million dollars to upgrade Bud Metheny Ballpark so that they can host regionals in the future.

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Respectfully have to disagree. I feel like the Squirrels have been a fantastic partner with VCU (I personally witnessed this last spring at the A10 baseball tournament) and reciprocating that partnership is mutually beneficial. Sure, does VCU need an 8,000 seat minor league stadium? No of course not. The Diamond is not laid out to be a dual-tennant facility, but a ground-up design for a dual tennant facility benefits both parties, and enables the project to come to fruition which benefits the area as a whole. And should VCU make a run, it gives us a perfectly viable facility to host future regionals/super regionals (unlike ODU, which had to play as a 1 seed on the road last year because their facility wasn't qualified to host).

I'm all for this partnership
If we can keep the Squirrels in Richmond, it will absolutely benefit VCU in the long run. This is why VCU has begun taking an active role in the ballpark planning.

dso1ramfan

Elite Member
Insider
I am sorry to hear this. You should reach out to Danny in the Athletic Dept. He's a good guy. If you can pull him away from the 7 or 8 people he hangs around with at games, apparently he will listen. If you need to get in touch with, PM the former band director and he will give you his number.
Thanks. I have met him. He does seem like a nice guy.

Who is in charge of student engagement? I think we need to more students interested in attending games.
I have never agreed that having the corporate sponsors in the middle of the stadium who rarely show up or show up late was smart.
I know some people who dislike this, but model like Duke, place the students closer to the floor, maybe across from the opponent bench and then fill in with donors. Corporates can be around around the top of the bowl or in the corners. Just my two cents!

xjohnx

Original Gangster
Elite Member
Who is in charge of student engagement? I think we need to more students interested in attending games.
I have never agreed that having the corporate sponsors in the middle of the stadium who rarely show up or show up late was smart.
I know some people who dislike this, but model like Duke, place the students closer to the floor, maybe across from the opponent bench and then fill in with donors. Corporates can be around around the top of the bowl or in the corners. Just my two cents!
There was a time when the students had the first 3 rows along the marshall st sideline. It was glorious.