Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

Mistachill

Elite Member
Definitely both.... here's why.

Obviously it's on the coach to recruit players that fit the style of play that he wants to play & get the most out of those players. That doesn't mean we need 5 4-star starters on our team.... especially if they are going to start b***hing, complaining, taking plays off, etc. that people complain about all the time.

Shaka wanted to play a HAVOC style defense & a run & gun like offense... so what did he do? He recruited players that fit his style of play.

So if MR wants to play Havoc defense... he needs players that can guard the length of the floor. If he wants Run & Gun offense... you need people that can push the ball up the court & aint afraid to pull the trigger on a moments notice. If he's gonna combine the 2... you need players who can do both to some extent.

As far as the AD goes... yes the object is to try & bring in as much money to the AD & school as possible. It's also his job to help make the game day atmosphere as good as possible.... so that win or lose... fans have a good time at the game, something they will remember & want to come back to.

And from a business sense... you gotta do what's gonna bring in the most money to the AD/School. Even if it means putting your ego aside & lowering prices for the time being.

Raising ticket prices / RAF donation levels when every year for the past 5-6 years the # of season ticket holders has gone down..... is not good business practice. Especially when we've missed the NCAA Tourney 2 of the last 4 seasons that the tourney happened.... Woulda been 3 of 5 if Covid didn't end the season 2 years ago.

Doing a re-seating & forcing people to buy season tickets during a pandemic knowing full and darn well that you're not going to have a full house.... let alone any fans at all in the stands in the coming year due to a pandemic & restrictions.... IS NOT GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE!!

The smarter thing would've been to push the re-seating back a year or two until the pandemic cleared up enough... and once the 250 person limit was announced... send out a universal message to ticket holders & go down the list until all season tickets are sold.... OR the idea that others had and split it up among season ticket holders... so that everyone who was currently a season ticket holder got to attend 1 or 2 games.... and you start at the Top and go down the list and let people pick which games they want to go to until all the tickets are gone.

That would've gone over WAY BETTER with the fans.... and you wouldn't have had to worry about refunds or anything during that year.
Well, for argument sake, the coach has been through a complete recruiting class so any questions about the talent or the attributes of the players being brought in is entirely on him now. I guess you could make the case that IF the AD is aware of his department's mistakes the clock is kinda reset to make it right from this point moving forward.

Mistachill

Elite Member
One thing that has hurt VCU in revenue is the Final Four revenue units that VCU received are now gone. That was a ton of additional revenue for 6 years. Plus Shaka was still adding at least one unit each year to the NCAA revenue pot by making the NCAA's each year after the Final Four run until he left for Texas. In 2011 VCU earned 5 units payable over 6 years. In 2012 and 2013 VCU earned 2 units each year payable over 6 years. In 2014, 2015, 2017 VCU earned one unit each. In 2016 VCU earned two units. Since 2017, VCU has only earned two units.

The 2011 Final Four units dropped of in 2017 and the 2012 and 2013 units dropped off in 2018 and 2019. In total, that was a total of 9 units earned over three years. Those NCAA revenue days are now long gone. Since 2013, VCU has earned a total of 7 units over 8 NCAA Tournaments/9 years.
Does the A-10 have some type of formula where all of the conference teams get a piece of the NCAA units? I'm pretty sure the CAA did.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
The lowest possible cost to actually acquire VCU season tickets (including RAF donation) is more expensive than many schools and probably the most expensive in the A10. Likely second most expensive in Virginia behind UVA: Even UVA has a lower donation tier than VCU for a chance at season tickets. Now whether or not that gets you tickets I don't know, probably not. VT tickets are dirt cheap and bad seats only require a $25 donation...

UVA also has an arena twice the size of the Stu. At close to 15,00 seats there are going to be some cheap seats that also require the purchase of binoculars.

You need to do your research before you make "blanket" statements regarding the cost of VCU tickets. And stop making unsubstantiated statements like "it's ridiculous that our season tickets are more expensive than basically every other school you can think of", that are totally false. There is no way you can back that statement up with any facts. :roll:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Does the A-10 have some type of formula where all of the conference teams get a piece of the NCAA units? I'm pretty sure the CAA did.

They do. All conferences do. But the school earning the units gets a higher percentage of the units. In the A-10, I'm pretty sure the school earning the units gets a higher percentage than most other conferences in an attempt to reward the school that actually earned the units.

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Well, for argument sake, the coach has been through a complete recruiting class so any questions about the talent or the attributes of the players being brought in is entirely on him now. I guess you could make the case that IF the AD is aware of his department's mistakes the clock is kinda reset to make it right from this point moving forward.
In regards to MR I agree.... most all of us cut him slack for year 1. We also cut him some slack when ME got hurt in the Qtr finals vs Rhody & we lost & got a $#!tty matchup with UCF.

Then year 3 we had an absolutely abysmal February... likely woulda been 1 & done in the A10 if not for Covid shutting everything down. When the team was pretty much in shambles with all the drama going on..... Last year we make the tourney despite getting rekt by Bonnies in the A10 champ... & our season ended due to Covid..... This year we end up in the NIT, losing in the 2nd round.

So in 5 years, MR has 2 NCAA appearances (0-1 in games played) & has missed the NCAA tournament as many times as Grant, Shaka & Wade combined (2x... 2008 & 2010).... and that's not counting 2020 because covid ended the season before we had a chance (albeit very unrealistic). And on top of that, all of the drama we've had surrounding the team over the years.... that all needs to be fixed.... so yes from here on out... its certainly on him & the staff now.

As far as the AD goes, we'll see if he's aware of his department's mistakes (including his own).

Mistachill

Elite Member
They do. All conferences do. But the school earning the units gets a higher percentage of the units. In the A-10, I'm pretty sure the school earning the units gets a higher percentage than most other conferences in an attempt to reward the school than actually earned the units.
Yes, that was my understanding.

One thing that has hurt VCU in revenue is the Final Four revenue units that VCU received are now gone. That was a ton of additional revenue for 6 years. Plus Shaka was still adding at least one unit each year to the NCAA revenue pot by making the NCAA's each year after the Final Four run until he left for Texas. In 2011 VCU earned 5 units payable over 6 years. In 2012 and 2013 VCU earned 2 units each year payable over 6 years. In 2014, 2015, 2017 VCU earned one unit each. In 2016 VCU earned two units. Since 2017, VCU has only earned two units.

The 2011 Final Four units dropped of in 2017 and the 2012 and 2013 units dropped off in 2018 and 2019. In total, that was a total of 9 units earned over three years. Those NCAA revenue days are now long gone. Since 2013, VCU has earned a total of 7 units over 8 NCAA Tournaments/9 years.

I didn’t think we got the Final Four credits when we left for the A10? I thought the remaining amount stayed with the CAA after 2013?

Don’t quote me on it but word was A10, NCAA, VCU cut a deal and VCU got sweet 16 money for the covid year. Presumably to prevent them suing the living 💩 out of someone.

Mistachill

Elite Member
I didn’t think we got the Final Four credits when we left for the A10? I thought the remaining amount stayed with the CAA after 2013?

Don’t quote me on it but word was A10, NCAA, VCU cut a deal and VCU got sweet 16 money for the covid year. Presumably to prevent them suing the living 💩 out of someone.
Never heard that one.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member

We never saw most of the Final Four money because we left the CAA, but we did get quite a few units our first few years in the A10 which would now be gone. The rest of the conference was earning units then as well which we saw a piece of. What we would be getting now is probably the lowest we've seen as a member of the A10. I'm sure it is quite an adjustment.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

I know VCU got the units in 2011 and 2012 prior to moving to the A-10. Not sure what the settlement was regarding VCU and the CAA after 2012. VCU got another two units in 2012 prior to moving to the A-10. That was a ton of NCAA revenue for those two years that VCU is not coming close to today. And then Shaka earned two more units his first year in the A-10. A lot of those NCAA revenue units earned under Shaka and Will Wade after VCU moved to the A-10 have now dropped off. VCU only has 3 revenue units on the books now that have been earned in the last 6 years. One from Will Wade and two from Mike Rhoades.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
We never saw most of the Final Four money because we left the CAA, but we did get quite a few units our first few years in the A10 which would now be gone. The rest of the conference was earning units then as well which we saw a piece of. What we would be getting now is probably the lowest we've seen as a member of the A10. I'm sure it is quite an adjustment.

VCU got that Final Four money for two years before moving to the A-10. They also got another two units of revenue in 2012 for the two wins in 2012 prior to moving to the A-10.

Never heard that one.
Word was VCU apparently didn’t take the covid exit well as you can imagine and was lawyering up. A10 knew it would get shredded for moving the championship spot and ref incident (A10 also didn’t want a battle with one of its premier programs.) so it appealed to the ncaa as a favor along with VCU. That apparently was the settlement.

final four units were gone when VCU went to the A10 (we left over a few million with the CAA when we left to join the A10 )

NCAA pays out units to each conference for their members and conferences decide how units are distributed among members

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
final four units were gone when VCU went to the A10 (we left over a few million with the CAA when we left to join the A10 )

NCAA pays out units to each conference for their members and conferences decide how units are distributed among members

Read my post. VCU still got Final Four revenue unit payouts in 2011 and 2012 before they left the CAA. That's five units per year worth of revenue. VCU also played in two rounds in 2012, so they got an additional 2 units of revenue in 2012 before moving to the A-10.

The CAA only got the remaining units on the books after 2012.

FYI - The A-10 pays out a higher percentage of those units to the school earning them than the CAA does because they are a multi-bid league. That was one of the reasons VCU jumped at the chance to move to the A-10.

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
VCU got that Final Four money for two years before moving to the A-10. They also got another two units of revenue in 2012 for the two wins in 2012 prior to moving to the A-10.
2 wins in 2012? We only beat Wichita State... lost to Indiana... who we shoulda beat