Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

t23e3

Elite Member
UVA also has an arena twice the size of the Stu. At close to 15,00 seats there are going to be some cheap seats that also require the purchase of binoculars.

You need to do your research before you make "blanket" statements regarding the cost of VCU tickets. And stop making unsubstantiated statements like "it's ridiculous that our season tickets are more expensive than basically every other school you can think of", that are totally false. There is no way you can back that statement up with any facts. :roll:
Hey man, you don't have to attack me, not cool. What I was trying to say was the "entry" (lowest) cost of acquiring season tickets at VCU is higher.

The higher end seats and even some normal seats at many schools cost way more than ours. I also addressed that most schools have arenas with 1.5x-2x more seats than we do, which is definitely a limiting factor for us and one of the main reasons why. I actually looked up season ticket + donation requirements for every school in Virginia. Here are the main ones (only calculated for one seat: absolute min):

VCU:

Donation (seating chart): Ticket cost: Total:
Min tier: $250 Min cost: $499 Min cost: $749
Max tier: $10,000 Max cost: $499 Max cost: $10,499

UVA:

Min tier: $100 Min cost: $235 Min cost: $335
Max tier: $25,000 Max cost: $600 Max cost: $25,600

VT:

Min tier: $25 Min cost: $220 Min cost: $245
Max tier: $350 Max cost: $600 Max cost: $950

JMU:

Min tier: $0 Min cost: $125 Min cost: $125
Max tier: $1000 Max cost: $1175 Max cost: $2175

GMU:

Min tier: $0 Min cost: $272 Min cost: $272
Max tier: $1250 Max cost: $272 Max cost: $1522

ODU: website says $215, unsure about donation reqs.

UR: Their website is terrible, I can't even find the cost info.

For fun, some other schools:

Dayton: Tickets cost $148-158, no min donation required but donations improve your seating.

St. Bonaventure:

Min tier: $0 Min cost: $165 Min cost: $165
Max tier: $425 Max cost: $250 Max cost: $675

Uconn:

Min tier: $35 Min cost: $115 Min cost: $150
Max tier: $3300 Max cost: $1500 Max cost: $4800

Villanova: expensive as heck, donations don't guarantee tickets and I'm sure the barrier to entry is high.

What would you consider our equivalent schools? I can add them here.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
Read my post. VCU still got Final Four revenue unit payouts in 2011 and 2012 before they left the CAA. That's five units per year worth of revenue. VCU also played in two rounds in 2012, so they got an additional 2 units of revenue in 2012 before moving to the A-10.

The CAA only got the remaining units on the books after 2012.

FYI - The A-10 pays out a higher percentage of those units to the school earning them than the CAA does because they are a multi-bid league. That was one of the reasons VCU jumped at the chance to move to the A-10.
I think it takes a year or two before that money starts rolling in. We might have gotten 1 year of the 2011 Tournament money, but I am pretty sure we wouldn't have seen anything from 2012.

I read your post 1350 that said we received Final 4 money for 6 years
Read my post. VCU still got Final Four revenue unit payouts in 2011 and 2012 before they left the CAA. That's five units per year worth of revenue. VCU also played in two rounds in 2012, so they got an additional 2 units of revenue in 2012 before moving to the A-10.

The CAA only got the remaining units on the books after 2012.

FYI - The A-10 pays out a higher percentage of those units to the school earning them than the CAA does because they are a multi-bid league. That was one of the reasons VCU jumped at the chance to move to the A-10.
I Read your post 1350 that said we got units for 6 years for final 4 - your revised post(correcting or clarifying) occurred after I sent my response
(a few others too responded to the original post 1350 too clarifying what I said too)

no biggie - go rams

Hey man, you don't have to attack me, not cool. What I was trying to say was the "entry" (lowest) cost of acquiring season tickets at VCU is higher.

The higher end seats and even some normal seats at many schools cost way more than ours. I also addressed that most schools have arenas with 1.5x-2x more seats than we do, which is definitely a limiting factor for us and one of the main reasons why. I actually looked up season ticket + donation requirements for every school in Virginia. Here are the main ones (only calculated for one seat: absolute min):

VCU:

Min tier: $250 Min cost: $499 Min cost: $749
Max tier: $10,000 Max cost: $499 Max cost: $10,499

UVA:

Min tier: $100 Min cost: $235 Min cost: $335
Max tier: $25,000 Max cost: $600 Max cost: $25,600

VT:

Min tier: $25 Min cost: $220 Min cost: $245
Max tier: $350 Max cost: $600 Max cost: $950

JMU:

Min tier: $0 Min cost: $125 Min cost: $125
Max tier: $1000 Max cost: $1175 Max cost: $2175

GMU:

Min tier: $0 Min cost: $272 Min cost: $272
Max tier: $1250 Max cost: $272 Max cost: $1522

ODU: website says $215, unsure about donation reqs.

UR: Their website is terrible, I can't even find the cost info.

For fun, some other schools:

Dayton: Tickets cost $148-158, no min donation required but donations improve your seating.

St. Bonaventure:

Min tier: $0 Min cost: $165 Min cost: $165
Max tier: $425 Max cost: $250 Max cost: $675

Uconn:

Min tier: $35 Min cost: $115 Min cost: $150
Max tier: $3300 Max cost: $1500 Max cost: $4800

Villanova: expensive as heck, donations don't guarantee tickets and I'm sure the barrier to entry is high.

What would you consider our equivalent schools? I can add them here.
darn VT must use the football money to balance because that’s a nice deal for ACC. Dayton is a nice one too and they just redid that arena. If you live in Dayton that’s a no brainer if you love sports.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I think it takes a year or two before that money starts rolling in. We might have gotten 1 year of the 2011 Tournament money, but I am pretty sure we wouldn't have seen anything from 2012.

VCU still would have been owed their payouts from 2011 and 2012 from the CAA as they were still members then.

No matter how posters want to dissect my point, the fact still stands that VCU received much higher NCAA Tournament revenue payouts from units earned under Shaka Smart than any other coach. And that means overall revenue was up during that period, higher than any other period in VCU basketball history. VCU basically has three NCAA units left on the books now with one of them about to expire. That's not good from a revenue standpoint. Add in loss of revenue from ticket sales/RAF donations and the loss of naming rights to the arena (which has not been replaced in several years) and that's a lot of "Benjamins" this current administration has not been able to replace, other than bleeding the season ticket holders to no end.

Regarding the arena naming rights, I can't remember the last time the actual arena did not have naming rights. Alltel originally had the naming rights, then Verizon then EJ Wade. Frankly, I'm at a loss why this athletic administration has totally dropped the ball on finding a replacement since EJ Wade dropped out.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
VCU still would have been owed their payouts from 2011 and 2012 from the CAA as they were still members then.

No matter how posters want to dissect my point, the fact still stands that VCU received much higher NCAA Tournament revenue payouts from units earned under Shaka Smart than any other coach. And that means overall revenue was up during that period, higher than any other period in VCU basketball history. VCU basically has three NCAA units left on the books now with one of them about to expire. That's not good from a revenue standpoint. Add in loss of revenue from ticket sales/RAF donations and the loss of naming rights to the arena (which has not been replaced in several years) and that's a lot of "Benjamins" this current administration has not been able to replace, other than bleeding the season ticket holders to no end.

Regarding the arena naming rights, I can't remember the last time the actual arena did not have naming rights. Alltel originally had the naming rights, then Verizon then EJ Wade. Frankly, I'm at a loss why this athletic administration has totally dropped the ball on finding a replacement since EJ Wade dropped out.
I imagine they are trying to replace naming rights. We also lost $400K a year for the HDL Village ($4M paid out over 10 years). Also less student fees are coming in as enrollment has been declining the past few years. All in the face of record inflation. This is going to be a challenging year or 2 to keep the programs funded. This is a hard environment for anyone.

Last edited:
The lowest possible cost to actually acquire VCU season tickets (including RAF donation) is more expensive than many schools and probably the most expensive in the A10. Likely second most expensive in Virginia behind UVA: Even UVA has a lower donation tier than VCU for a chance at season tickets. Now whether or not that gets you tickets I don't know, probably not. VT tickets are dirt cheap and bad seats only require a $25 donation...
Kinda shocked we are more than UVA

That is a very fair question

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
If the CAA was paying out the 2012 NCAA tournament units in 2013 after we were gone then we wouldn't have seen any of that money, or any more of the 2011 NCAA tournament money. No one is arguing that we are getting less now than we were 5 to 10 years ago. Just that we did not reap the full benefits of those 2011 and 2012 NCAA tournament units after departing for the A10. I am not sure that we even saw any of that 2011 tournament money from the CAA. If I remember correctly it was paid out the following summer which would have been after we were gone. The schools that remained after VCU, GMU, and odu departed got a huge windfall there, and it appears that they did nothing with it.

There were only 49 original CC donors who donated more than 10K, so I wonder exactly how many 10K & above donors there are now. (From FOIA request) there were 145 at $2K Plus, 140 at $1,000 Plus, 150 at $290 plus, 318 at $250 which was original B&G level, and 1195 below $250. (This assuming is I did not make a mistake, but it still should be close) The total was 2,000 ($3,049,003.73 total donated) and there are only 97 left. The FOIA says the RAF system does not know (have a report) the donation level of the CCM or of all the current RAF donors. The info. is needed for reseating so it's avoiding answering. I requested a FOIA description of all the RAF donor reports they have.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
If the CAA was paying out the 2012 NCAA tournament units in 2013 after we were gone then we wouldn't have seen any of that money, or any more of the 2011 NCAA tournament money. No one is arguing that we are getting less now than we were 5 to 10 years ago. Just that we did not reap the full benefits of those 2011 and 2012 NCAA tournament units after departing for the A10. I am not sure that we even saw any of that 2011 tournament money from the CAA. If I remember correctly it was paid out the following summer which would have been after we were gone. The schools that remained after VCU, GMU, and odu departed got a huge windfall there, and it appears that they did nothing with it.

I went back and researched VCU's exit fee and you are correct. VCU left $5 million on the table when they left the CAA. They also paid an exit fee of $250,000 to the CAA and an entrance fee of $700,000 to the A-10. The CAA, later that year after VCU left, increased their exit fee to $1 million. Since joining the A-10, VCU's split on the NCAA units earned has been 75%, with the A-10 receiving the other 25% to split amongst it's other members.

Since joining the A-10, VCU has earned 4 units under Shaka Smart, 3 units under Will Wade and 2 units under Mike Rhoades. VCU has only earned 2 units since 2017.