Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

fmrick

Elite Member
Insider
I guess it all depends on how you define "and it soared from there."

Interesting that the second part of the tweet says- "Appreciate the support from all of our board members." I would have felt better if it had said something like "we appreciate all the great ideas".

I’m gonna vent alittle. So an email came through VCU athletics for the black and gold golf tourney. It’s hunting hawk and foursome is 600. 600!!! To play golf at hunting hawk. Believe me when I say I’d love to support athletics especially when I’m a golfer who follows the golf program closely. But 600 to play hunting hawk? Are you insane? Meanwhile you do the other tourney at VCC that’s basically only for the wealthy donors because it’s like 3000 dollars starting to play. No regular or even higher donor pays 3000 to play VCC. Heck all you have to do is know a member. Absurd.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
I’m gonna vent alittle. So an email came through VCU athletics for the black and gold golf tourney. It’s hunting hawk and foursome is 600. 600!!! To play golf at hunting hawk. Believe me when I say I’d love to support athletics especially when I’m a golfer who follows the golf program closely. But 600 to play hunting hawk? Are you insane? Meanwhile you do the other tourney at VCC that’s basically only for the wealthy donors because it’s like 3000 dollars starting to play. No regular or even higher donor pays 3000 to play VCC. Heck all you have to do is know a member. Absurd.
Is it really that outrageous at $150 a person for a fundraising event considering what greens fees are now days?

Last edited:
Is it really that outrageous at $150 a person for a fundraising event considering what greens fees are now days?

Hunting Hawk? Thats one of the worst courses in Richmond. That’s a 40 dollar course. Belmont which is miles ahead is 50. heck RNK is 90 and one of the nicest courses. 150 each to play on a bad course?

Ramcounter

Elite Member
Hunting Hawk? Thats one of the worst courses in Richmond. That’s a 40 dollar course. Belmont which is miles ahead is 50. heck RNK is 90 and one of the nicest courses. 150 each to play on a bad course?
So how much is too much when you factor in it being a fundraiser event that takes effort to put on?

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Is it really that outrageous at $150 a person for a fund event considering what greens fees are now days?
They set this price before they realized inflation was on the warpath. I imagine next year it will be a lot more. Plus they give you free food and free swag. Its not a bad deal if you like to golf and want to support VCU.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
They set this price before they realized inflation was on the warpath. I imagine next year it will be a lot more. Plus they give you free food and free swag. Its not a bad deal if you like to golf and want to support VCU.
I bet. I recently played on a non Richmond course that was charging $75 and it had bunkers with rock hard sand, punched sandy greens, and “dormant” fairways. It is crazy how much golf is costing now days especially if you want to keep it within a reasonable ride share distance.

So how much is too much when you factor in it being a fundraiser event that takes effort to put on?

I think if you are having it at say Belmont, Hanover, etc you could justify 150-200(Maybe 250) per but 150 per person in a foursome to play arguably the worst course next to Crossings which that course is a disgrace is off putting . I don’t have a problem paying more if they picked a decent location.
I bet. I recently played on a non Richmond course that was charging $75 and it had bunkers with rock hard sand, punched sandy greens, and “dormant” fairways. It is crazy how much golf is costing now days especially if you want to keep it within a reasonable ride share distance.

I literally just played in Myrtle Beach all week home to numerous world class courses (Top 100) and didn’t pay more than 110 on any of them (110 was the high end top course.). Yes golf went up (Result of gas, labor shortage, landscape, etc.) but courses in general haven’t gone absolutely insane. Richmond has stayed pretty reasonable actually.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
I think if you are having it at say Belmont, Hanover, etc you could justify 150-200(Maybe 250) per but 150 per person in a foursome to play arguably the worst course next to Crossings which that course is a disgrace is off putting . I don’t have a problem paying more if they picked a decent location.

I literally just played in Myrtle Beach all week home to numerous world class courses (Top 100) and didn’t pay more than 110 on any of them (110 was the high end top course.). Yes golf went up (Result of gas, labor shortage, landscape, etc.) but courses in general haven’t gone absolutely insane. Richmond has stayed pretty reasonable actually.
I appreciate your response. I was curious because I have had conversations about the proper fundraiser event price point in the past. It seems like it is really hard to find a good balance along with the availability of courses.

What courses did you play down in Myrtle? There are some absolute gems down there. Not to mention some really good bargains if you don’t mind poor but playable conditions and summer heat.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
There are so many wealthy people out there and they hold on to their wealth. It's a shame.

I appreciate your response. I was curious because I have had conversations about the proper fundraiser event price point in the past. It seems like it is really hard to find a good balance along with the availability of courses.

What courses did you play down in Myrtle? There are some absolute gems down there. Not to mention some really good bargains if you don’t mind poor but playable conditions and summer heat.

Willbrook, World Tour Golf Links, and Caledonia. Weather has been lower 80s. A bit busy but quite nice and then hit the beach later as people leave the beach later afternoon. Caledonia is always a bit higher but many courses have decent rates if you go at the right times.

No doubt some courses have gone up across the board. First tee Chesterfield now has near 50 rates when that course was like 30 for years (and sometimes cheaper) despite the quality actually dropping on the course (That’s not gone over well with their regulars and members.). I tend to be a firm believer in paying for quality. When I see courses slack off on conditions and quality while up charging I take issue. I understand some are under staffed but it’s just eye brow raising sometimes. Crossings is 65 bucks to play and has the worst conditions in RVA and it’s not even close. Thats not ok. They say they are working on it. That’s fine but when you were charging 50 a round prior to the new management and now charge more when you don’t have a following nor the quality you got a problem. You can’t expect people to simply hop on board to cover your course costs when you don’t show a plan or course of action for improving. Belmont and Crossings are in complete different leagues yet it’s significantly cheaper to play Belmont. Going down to MB you know that there’s great deals but you will absolutely pony up to play the really great courses. My issue lies with courses that upcharge with they don’t have a basis for it.

(Note:I have no issue with HH. I think it’s a great course to give people a low cost option. It’s always been a course that’s great for beginners and maintains a decent course for its very low pricing. Few years back they charged 20 bucks a round. That’s an incredible rate for an actual course. I just think it’s kind of embarrassing though that VCU golf/athletics literally has full access to every single course in RVA from Kinloch to Belmont (It’s literally on their site.) and decides to pick one of the less attractive/low budget courses in the area to host its B & G golf invitational(Especially with a golf program with a rich history.) . If the idea is to get more VCU working class types than pick a decent course and higher fee (Some of the lesser privates are very open to public things. Like meadowbrook.). The fact is you aren’t gonna get the working class folks to go for the CC of VA event. That’s strictly for the higher donors/corporate sponsors and that’s pretty obvious. The pictures are the same folks that have the floor seats/corporate seats at VCU games. You shouldn’t go from offering the wealthiest donors the nicest course in RVA to everyone else one of the lowest budget courses in RVA for the fundraising events. The optics alone reflect the idea that only certain folks really matter in donation/fundraising.)

Last edited: