Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

fmrick

Elite Member
Insider
I’m gonna vent alittle. So an email came through VCU athletics for the black and gold golf tourney. It’s hunting hawk and foursome is 600. 600!!! To play golf at hunting hawk. Believe me when I say I’d love to support athletics especially when I’m a golfer who follows the golf program closely. But 600 to play hunting hawk? Are you insane? Meanwhile you do the other tourney at VCC that’s basically only for the wealthy donors because it’s like 3000 dollars starting to play. No regular or even higher donor pays 3000 to play VCC. Heck all you have to do is know a member. Absurd.

Sorry, but you lost me at "So an email came through VCU athletics..."

fmrick

Elite Member
Insider
Yeah, if you're not able or willing to donate at that level VCU Athletics doesn't want you.

In the kind of funny, kind of not category, 57 minutes after I posted that, I got the e-mail.

For the record, I don't golf. But for years I helped with the tournament at HH. We did the planning, raffles and set-up. Then the AD said they would handle it so we would not have to and could set back and enjoy the event. But again, I don't golf.

In the kind of funny, kind of not category, 57 minutes after I posted that, I got the e-mail.

For the record, I don't golf. But for years I helped with the tournament at HH. We did the planning, raffles and set-up. Then the AD said they would handle it so we would not have to and could set back and enjoy the event. But again, I don't golf.

I almost did it last year just because I like supporting the athletes and avidly following VCU golf but I couldn’t get 3 friends to want to spend that much for HH. I totally understood that. I tried to join as a solo to play with other randoms which VCU athletics said was fine then backtracked and said they didn’t have room for me. 🤷‍♂️

Major Ram 2.0

Elite Member
It’s a fundraiser. Charge as much as the market allows. If it’s too much people won’t come. Complaining about pricing on a fundraiser golf tournament is not a positive reflection on wanting to see the AD collect external money for the program
What’s the alternative?
This is a separate issue than reseating

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
It wouldn't be a good fundraiser if VCU charged everyone cost. You aren't paying $150 to play at HH. You are paying some to play there and a donation to VCU to support the cause.
Shoot the new First Tee course is almost a $100 bucks to play on and I almost spend that much at Top Golf. Ha! Don't forget they probably have some food and drinks too.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
There are so many wealthy people out there and they hold on to their wealth. It's a shame.
I know nothing about Golf prices.... so I'm not gonna comment on the prices... Cause I don't know what's good & what's bad.

But it's all about Value. Different people Value things differently.

I'm far from Wealthy.... but as far as your comment goes.... even if I was wealthy... I'm not gonna pony up money for something if I don't see the value in it. No matter how much it costs or how much extra money I got.

If something costs $1000, but in my opinion it's only worth $250.... I'm not going to buy it or spend money on it, plain & simple... no matter how much disposable income I have. Even if I'm a billionaire. You may think that's being super tight with my money.... but if I don't find the value in it based on what something's priced at, or think I am getting ripped off at that price... why would I buy it?

That's not to say VCU's opinion of something's value is wrong or someone else's opinion of something's value is wrong. That's just how I see it.

Last edited:
as someone that has played in these before (not only at VCU but churches, and other charities) the price of $150 per golfer is probably underpriced - the event is a fundraiser for the most part and they want to make money - you typically get a round of golf with a cart, free beverages on course, usually some sort of memento whether a shirt or something else, and a buffet meal after the event and naturally prizes for team winners and closest to the pin etc

finding a course that is willing to shut down for the day during the spring primetime is not so easy and always exclusive clubs don't always like how the courses get beat up sometimes - so many of these events are at places like Hunting Hawk etc - you are not getting the Foundry or River Course at CCV for these outings (most likely venues are public courses and those quasi public private courses - my favorite venue for these type of events is the Federal Club and then Independence and Dominion Club- love too when they get a private course like Salisbury or Stonehenge that are rare for all day events

these events are also about fellowship too so the venue is not that important anyway

Like Rowdy P says above it is all about what you Value - these events are optional and remember they are held primarily to raise money so don't approach with expectation that cost will equal the value of the golf round only

go rams

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
as someone that has played in these before (not only at VCU but churches, and other charities) the price of $150 per golfer is probably underpriced - the event is a fundraiser for the most part and they want to make money - you typically get a round of golf with a cart, free beverages on course, usually some sort of memento whether a shirt or something else, and a buffet meal after the event and naturally prizes for team winners and closest to the pin etc

finding a course that is willing to shut down for the day during the spring primetime is not so easy and always exclusive clubs don't always like how the courses get beat up sometimes - so many of these events are at places like Hunting Hawk etc - you are not getting the Foundry or River Course at CCV for these outings (most likely venues are public courses and those quasi public private courses - my favorite venue for these type of events is the Federal Club and then Independence and Dominion Club- love too when they get a private course like Salisbury or Stonehenge that are rare for all day events

these events are also about fellowship too so the venue is not that important anyway

Like Rowdy P says above it is all about what you Value - these events are optional and remember they are held primarily to raise money so don't approach with expectation that cost will equal the value of the golf round only

go rams
I've photographed one of those events in the past and that's pretty much what you get. $150 is actually a pretty good price, all things considered, and for many of the participants it's a rather trivial amount of money since the golf events tend to attract more of the higher-end donors. It's still somewhat accessible and a good deal for anyone else who's interested, though.

Ramdog

Elite Member
I know nothing about Golf prices.... so I'm not gonna comment on the prices... Cause I don't know what's good & what's bad.

But it's all about Value. Different people Value things differently.

I'm far from Wealthy.... but as far as your comment goes.... even if I was wealthy... I'm not gonna pony up money for something if I don't see the value in it. No matter how much it costs or how much extra money I got.

If something costs $1000, but in my opinion it's only worth $250.... I'm not going to buy it or spend money on it, plain & simple... no matter how much disposable income I have. Even if I'm a billionaire. You may think that's being super tight with my money.... but if I don't find the value in it based on what something's priced at, or think I am getting ripped off at that price... why would I buy it?

That's not to say VCU's opinion of something's value is wrong or someone else's opinion of something's value is wrong. That's just how I see it.
You can get a steak for $6 or $60.
Neither are worth the price