Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

Shoot the new First Tee course is almost a $100 bucks to play on and I almost spend that much at Top Golf. Ha! Don't forget they probably have some food and drinks too.

Where are you all going that’s got these 100 price tags? Belmont is the new first tee course and that’s 40 walking 60 riding. Chesterfield is 40-50. HH is a 40 course and that’s its higher end. Top golf is expensive if you don’t have a group. 40 a hour as a solo ain’t ideal. In fact the only course near 100 is Royal new Kent which is 95. Independence is 125 on weekends but they always were higher way before the pandemic and such so they are the outlier. They do that to deter too many people from playing this less maintenance needed.

Correction : 55 walking is the highest for Belmont with 65 cart being the highest but regardless not near 100. I’m there regularly.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Where are you all going that’s got these 100 price tags? Belmont is the new first tee course and that’s 40 walking 60 riding. Chesterfield is 40-50. HH is a 40 course and that’s its higher end. Top golf is expensive if you don’t have a group. 40 a hour as a solo ain’t ideal. In fact the only course near 100 is Royal new Kent which is 95. Independence is 125 on weekends but they always were higher way before the pandemic and such so they are the outlier. They do that to deter too many people from playing this less maintenance needed.

Correction : 55 walking is the highest for Belmont with 65 cart being the highest but regardless not near 100. I’m there regularly.
I know but a golf outing gets up there. I was not implying Belmont was a $100 but the trip eases up near it. I am including things like beers and a bite to eat. I don’t golf anymore so I don’t really know the actual prices.

I would rather VCU have a voluntary fund-raising golf outing than Ed/VCU charging extra for CCM B&G donors. The main money comes from sponsor and bus. donations (ie. $ & Gift Certificate) It's common for Swag bags, (Logo balls, tees, drink coupons, T-shirt, branded polo shirt with charity name and sponsor, other things) to be given out. Raffles are often held for donated prizes. Donated Lunches are provided by many. I know this as my alumni fraternity had a golf fund raiser at Belmont ($75 Per golfer) last weekend for the Kappa Sigma Will Sheffey Scholarship in the VCU School of Business. Anyone who plays is voluntary donating, and VCU's golf outing is definitely geared toward higher donors.

I would rather VCU have a voluntary fund-raising golf outing than Ed/VCU charging extra for CCM B&G donors. The main money comes from sponsor and bus. donations (ie. $ & Gift Certificate) It's common for Swag bags, (Logo balls, tees, drink coupons, T-shirt, branded polo shirt with charity name and sponsor, other things) to be given out. Raffles are often held for donated prizes. Donated Lunches are provided by many. I know this as my alumni fraternity had a golf fund raiser at Belmont ($75 Per golfer) last weekend for the Kappa Sigma Will Sheffey Scholarship in the VCU School of Business. Anyone who plays is voluntary donating, and VCU's golf outing is definitely geared toward higher donors.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. You don’t have milk the CCM but you can also provide quality to donors in events not simply the high ones. As you just said your frat did a 75 dollar per person event at Belmont which Belmont run 50-60 for a round. The frat probably could charged more tbh. I think if you host it at decent place and charge a bit more they would bring more people. You can tell from the outings they don’t bring a good crowd at CCV or HH. One event only brings folks that have serious money to burn on one round. The other is hosted at a subpar course. In hindsight in the current set up its surprising it actually comes out positive with the lack of participation. Honestly how many events do you see actually geared to normal donors? It’s really not surprising VCU fans have soured on athletics. Do we have like fan appreciation events/nights?

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Could you even imagine being a big time football fan with the NIL. I think everybody gives when they can. I mean, why not? Unless you went to Mason and everyone knows Mason sucks.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. You don’t have milk the CCM but you can also provide quality to donors in events not simply the high ones. As you just said your frat did a 75 dollar per person event at Belmont which Belmont run 50-60 for a round. The frat probably could charged more tbh. I think if you host it at decent place and charge a bit more they would bring more people. You can tell from the outings they don’t bring a good crowd at CCV or HH. One event only brings folks that have serious money to burn on one round. The other is hosted at a subpar course. In hindsight in the current set up its surprising it actually comes out positive with the lack of participation. Honestly how many events do you see actually geared to normal donors? It’s really not surprising VCU fans have soured on athletics. Do we have like fan appreciation events/nights?
Yes, that's the problem, lower donors don't seem to matter to Ed/VCU, they are to be taken advantage of. Most of the money war from donations and sponsors (closest to pin, long drive, hole sponsors, just money donated). Lunch was donated, Raffle & Auction prizes raised extra. We found over the year that a lower entry few, more golfers, who then contribute more. It's now reached a level that will be able to fund a scholarship award each year for VCU Business students. It's a voluntary donation so it's better than being forced to pay more.

Ramdog

Elite Member
Yes, that's the problem, lower donors don't seem to matter to Ed/VCU, they are to be taken advantage of. Most of the money war from donations and sponsors (closest to pin, long drive, hole sponsors, just money donated). Lunch was donated, Raffle & Auction prizes raised extra. We found over the year that a lower entry few, more golfers, who then contribute more. It's now reached a level that will be able to fund a scholarship award each year for VCU Business students. It's a voluntary donation so it's better than being forced to pay more.
Holy shhit it’s a phucking fund raiser. WTF
you only have to pony up a buck fifty for a day of golf and food and drink and socialize with others Ram fans
talk about picking at scabs

if the $150 is too rich for your blood then don’t go...but don’t expect the school to not have fun raising events because you don’t like em

christ

you only have to pony up a buck fifty for a day of golf and food and drink and socialize with others Ram fans

if the $150 is too rich for your blood then don’t go...but don’t expect the school to not have fun raising events because you don’t like em

christ

It’s not simply YOU paying 150. It’s convincing 3 others to pay 150 for Hunting Hawk too. You can’t sign up alone. VCU rejects people if you do. All signs up are in 4’s. Why do you think it’s all the higher donors? So say you wanted to sign up. You would have to find 3 others also unless you want to front 600 yourself so they can play. Same goes for the CCV event except that one is lot more.

christ
That was my point.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Trying to compare us to a team like UNC is probably the worst comparison someone could do. They get more ranked opponents into their stadium in a year than we probably have in a decade. The biggest thing though is that the incentive to be a season ticket holder is so much lower currently than it has been in years while the costs are up. I unfortunately had to give up being a season ticket holder during covid due to changes my family (although I expect to get back in as soon as things settle), yet I have been able to get an even better experience for a much lower cost because there is so much availability out there for tickets. Its not like prices are up across the board in athletics. Season ticket holders are being hit with these higher costs than the general public.

If I wanted to make take one of your price comparisons and make it more similar to our situation I would use this: Its like one group of people have the former MoviePass which guarantees them a spot in the top corner of the theatre for $15 bucks. The general public can pick from a ticket beside them or in a more desirable area for $12.50. If demand goes up then the gp might not be able to get that ticket but trends are showing that they wont struggle to get it. Well not the MoviePass wants to bump up to $16 while keeping gp at $12.50. Outside of giving the MoviePass more money to use however they want and to guarantee those corner seats, what is the real incentive to owning MoviePass vs. being the GP?
Guaranteed lower level season tickets at UNC requires a $500,000 donation. You then have to continue at a $5,000 a year donation to maintain them (plus the cost of the tickets).

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Hey man, you don't have to attack me, not cool. What I was trying to say was the "entry" (lowest) cost of acquiring season tickets at VCU is higher.

The higher end seats and even some normal seats at many schools cost way more than ours. I also addressed that most schools have arenas with 1.5x-2x more seats than we do, which is definitely a limiting factor for us and one of the main reasons why. I actually looked up season ticket + donation requirements for every school in Virginia. Here are the main ones (only calculated for one seat: absolute min):

VCU:

Donation (seating chart): Ticket cost: Total:
Min tier: $250 Min cost: $499 Min cost: $749
Max tier: $10,000 Max cost: $499 Max cost: $10,499

UVA:

Min tier: $100 Min cost: $235 Min cost: $335
Max tier: $25,000 Max cost: $600 Max cost: $25,600

VT:

Min tier: $25 Min cost: $220 Min cost: $245
Max tier: $350 Max cost: $600 Max cost: $950

JMU:

Min tier: $0 Min cost: $125 Min cost: $125
Max tier: $1000 Max cost: $1175 Max cost: $2175

GMU:

Min tier: $0 Min cost: $272 Min cost: $272
Max tier: $1250 Max cost: $272 Max cost: $1522

ODU: website says $215, unsure about donation reqs.

UR: Their website is terrible, I can't even find the cost info.

For fun, some other schools:

Dayton: Tickets cost $148-158, no min donation required but donations improve your seating.

St. Bonaventure:

Min tier: $0 Min cost: $165 Min cost: $165
Max tier: $425 Max cost: $250 Max cost: $675

Uconn:

Min tier: $35 Min cost: $115 Min cost: $150
Max tier: $3300 Max cost: $1500 Max cost: $4800

Villanova: expensive as heck, donations don't guarantee tickets and I'm sure the barrier to entry is high.

What would you consider our equivalent schools? I can add them here.
It pretty simply comes down to demand and supply. Prior to Covid, VCU had very high ticket demand relative to the size of our arena.

The schools on your list either have very low demand or a high demand but a larger arena that doesn’t give them as much leverage when it comes to pricing. And a few of those schools (ACC/Big East) have massive TV/conference money coming in that makes makes their ticket revenues less important.

But I guarantee that every AD in the country charges as much for tickets and requires as much from donors as they can get away with. They’d be stupid if they didn’t.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Hunting Hawk? Thats one of the worst courses in Richmond. That’s a 40 dollar course. Belmont which is miles ahead is 50. heck RNK is 90 and one of the nicest courses. 150 each to play on a bad course?
The whole point is to raise money. If you want to play for the regular green fees, then you can schedule a round yourself. They have to cover green fees, food, administrative costs, and prices… and still have money leftover for the fundraising they’re doing.

rammad90

Elite Member
The whole point is to raise money. If you want to play for the regular green fees, then you can schedule a round yourself. They have to cover green fees, food, administrative costs, and prices… and still have money leftover for the fundraising they’re doing.
If the point is to raise money, you'd always want to have the best product relative to price. Why not explore other venues as well? What could it hurt?

Also, you'd take all comers and then you'd group them yourself. For example, I am not a golfer but if I were I might not do this as I dont have 3 additional people who I could convince even if I wanted to participate.

The problem I have always had with Richmond and VCU is that we do very little thinking outside of the box and just stick with either "this is the way we have always done it" or "my way or the highway".

Again, explore different venues if there are better places, and take all comers and take the extra time to group those who dont have their own 4 some. Make the damned extra coin.