Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

VCU Heel

Elite Member
If the point is to raise money, you'd always want to have the best product relative to price. Why not explore other venues as well? What could it hurt?

Also, you'd take all comers and then you'd group them yourself. For example, I am not a golfer but if I were I might not do this as I dont have 3 additional people who I could convince even if I wanted to participate.

The problem I have always had with Richmond and VCU is that we do very little thinking outside of the box and just stick with either "this is the way we have always done it" or "my way or the highway".

Again, explore different venues if there are better places, and take all comers and take the extra time to group those who dont have their own 4 some. Make the damned extra coin.
As someone said earlier in the thread, venue options are very limited. Good courses aren’t shutting themselves down for half the day or more for something like this. VCU has to find a public course that doesn’t fill up its tee times on a spring day. And they also probably depend on having a longterm relationship with the course.

VCU also isn’t going to group teams themselves. Most people going want to golf with their friends. And most people want to play with people with a similar skill level. A good golfer doesn’t want to go to one of these things and get paired with a couple hackers that he/she doesn’t know. And most hackers won’t feel comfortable playing with 2-3 really good players that they don’t know and feel like they’re holding them back/holding them up. But you could always contact VCU and see if they have any incomplete teams that are looking for a fourth.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The one thing I might do differently about the golf fundraisers (and which they might already do) is have a limited number of spots (2-3 teams) available at a significantly discounted price for young alumni to get them into doing these things and donating. I might even have something on campus where a team or two of current students could win a spot playing in the event for free. Maybe one team of undergrads and one team of grad/professional degree students.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
I'm sure there are other fundraisers like banquets and cake walks that VCU does. Not just golf tournaments. BTW how is Rhoades' game? I can't imagine he's on the links much.

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
Is it really that outrageous at $150 a person for a fundraising event considering what greens fees are now days?
At first reaction seeing Hunting Hawk I think it sounds high, but when I read your message I thought about that I have paid $85 for crappy golf course fundraisers that aren't supporting my number one cause in sports. Nah it's not crazy but it is a bit high. Always considered Hunting Hawk as a "moderate" option when trying to schedule something with folks in the day and not one you are going to write home about

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
Shoot the new First Tee course is almost a $100 bucks to play on and I almost spend that much at Top Golf. Ha! Don't forget they probably have some food and drinks too.
First Tee is a rip off . Totally against the mission. Bucket off balls cost more than a bucket of fried chicken LOL's

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. You don’t have milk the CCM but you can also provide quality to donors in events not simply the high ones. As you just said your frat did a 75 dollar per person event at Belmont which Belmont run 50-60 for a round. The frat probably could charged more tbh. I think if you host it at decent place and charge a bit more they would bring more people. You can tell from the outings they don’t bring a good crowd at CCV or HH. One event only brings folks that have serious money to burn on one round. The other is hosted at a subpar course. In hindsight in the current set up its surprising it actually comes out positive with the lack of participation. Honestly how many events do you see actually geared to normal donors? It’s really not surprising VCU fans have soured on athletics. Do we have like fan appreciation events/nights?
So here is the solution:

A real fundraiser as laid out by VCU $150 per player ( so you are donation $80 per player)

Option 2

Cheapos that don't want to sacrifince a bit to help support the program PUTT PUTT for $25 and $15 goes to VCU.

Folks are bitching about Level 1 problems when there are serious things going on that rank way about this. This isn't about the post above but about some of the people I know that have written some cry baby stuff the last few years. I wasn't going to particiapte in the golf outing this year but now this BS has me ready to sign up and pay for three friends to join me and support something I care about and that I know from a business standpoint needs our support.

(@rambunctiousrowdyram , I aplogize for using your post as my entry- this isn't directed at you)

rammad90

Elite Member
As someone said earlier in the thread, venue options are very limited. Good courses aren’t shutting themselves down for half the day or more for something like this. VCU has to find a public course that doesn’t fill up its tee times on a spring day. And they also probably depend on having a longterm relationship with the course.

VCU also isn’t going to group teams themselves. Most people going want to golf with their friends. And most people want to play with people with a similar skill level. A good golfer doesn’t want to go to one of these things and get paired with a couple hackers that he/she doesn’t know. And most hackers won’t feel comfortable playing with 2-3 really good players that they don’t know and feel like they’re holding them back/holding them up. But you could always contact VCU and see if they have any incomplete teams that are looking for a fourth.
You dont know what you can get until you inquire. As to groupings, you are correct "most" people want to play with their friends but not all.

As a poster commented the couldn't gather a group of 4 but might like to play. Here's a couple options allow groups of 2 or group those who cannot. Fwiw, doesnt golf work by handicaps? Couldn't you group the lone wolves by handicaps or at least ask the question. It aint that hard.

As you stated, this is a fund raiser and the more participants leads to more funds. We gotta get out the the on sized fits all, that's how we've always done it mentality.

You dont know what you can get until you inquire. As to groupings, you are correct "most" people want to play with their friends but not all.

As a poster commented the couldn't gather a group of 4 but might like to play. Here's a couple options allow groups of 2 or group those who cannot. Fwiw, doesnt golf work by handicaps? Couldn't you group the lone wolves by handicaps or at least ask the question. It aint that hard.

As you stated, this is a fund raiser and the more participants leads to more funds. We gotta get out the the on sized fits all, that's how we've always done it mentality.

Golf does work by handicap though you can use the stroke system. Honestly at a event like this it really doesn’t matter. It’s not a real tournament. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if people played free mulligans and casual drops. It’s not like the winning group is getting entry into the Masters. Same with the CCV event. I’ve seen pics on FB from the high donors I’m friends with and judging by the shot gunning beers and goofy genital related nicknames on carts I’d say it’s very casual.

Dalai Rama

Elite Member
Golf does work by handicap though you can use the stroke system. Honestly at a event like this it really doesn’t matter. It’s not a real tournament. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if people played free mulligans and casual drops. It’s not like the winning group is getting entry into the Masters. Same with the CCV event. I’ve seen pics on FB from the high donors I’m friends with and judging by the shot gunning beers and goofy genital related nicknames on carts I’d say it’s very casual.
Charity tournaments are almost ways 'Captain's Choice'.

Charity tournaments are almost ways 'Captain's Choice'.
True. I think that’s to try to even things out though if you got a stacked team they’ll still crush in the end. My bud plays in those alot (He’s a incredible player. 1 handicap that just struggles with putting interestingly.). I think his team uses his ball everytime haha. I play in VSGA which are straight up stroke. Regardless the VCU events are extremely casual. You aren’t winning prize money or anything so one team obliterating everyone hardly matters.

VCU Heel

Elite Member

How do you know they haven’t inquired at other courses?

As for the grouping, if the person has just 2 or 3 people for his group, then I’m sure he can inquire through the AD if there is anyone else out there that‘s looking to join a group. I’m sure they’ll do what they can if it means more people giving them money.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
True. I think that’s to try to even things out though if you got a stacked team they’ll still crush in the end. My bud plays in those alot (He’s a incredible player. 1 handicap that just struggles with putting interestingly.). I think his team uses his ball everytime haha. I play in VSGA which are straight up stroke. Regardless the VCU events are extremely casual. You aren’t winning prize money or anything so one team obliterating everyone hardly matters.
We used to do these and would have 2 ringers (former VCU golf star Larry Loving and Paul Cuomo) and won a couple of the VCU tournaments. Our other golfers were pure hacks that golfed maybe once or twice in there lives.
The more expensive tournament used to be the Barkley tournament where Charles Barkley would come in and bring some of his friends. Every team would have a celebrity. One year we were paired with Mr Belding from Saved by the Bell series and another year Sgt Slaughter from WWE. It was really fun!!!!

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
We used to do these and would have 2 ringers (former VCU golf star Larry Loving and Paul Cuomo) and won a couple of the VCU tournaments. Our other golfers were pure hacks that golfed maybe once or twice in there lives.
The more expensive tournament used to be the Barkley tournament where Charles Barkley would come in and bring some of his friends. Every team would have a celebrity. One year we were paired with Mr Belding from Saved by the Bell series and another year Sgt Slaughter from WWE. It was really fun!!!!
Now that would be fun. I could just see it now... someone takes a terrible shot and you'd have Mr. Belding going "Hey hey hey, cut that out" or Sgt. Slaughter making you drop & give him push-ups LOL

How do you know they haven’t inquired at other courses?

As for the grouping, if the person has just 2 or 3 people for his group, then I’m sure he can inquire through the AD if there is anyone else out there that‘s looking to join a group. I’m sure they’ll do what they can if it means more people giving them money.

They don’t. You other register 4 or SOL. People have tried to go in solo before. That’s why we were saying you have to find 3 others that would commit 150. As far as courses VCU golf literally uses every course from Royal New Kent to Kinloch (One of the most exclusive courses in the country and maybe world.). VCU team plays the Belmont course on weekdays. The coach plays every club in Richmond when they are in town during the week. The AD and high donors are regularly photographed at the best RVA courses. Pretty sure they have some influence. The effort isn’t there imo. As Rick said he organized events for them in the past. I suggested a VCU vs UR fan golf event for athletic scholarship fundraiser to Ed. When I was approached by athletics who loved the idea of a fan rivalry event they wanted me to organize everything for them. Sorry to say I don’t have the volunteer time to collaborate with two schools and organize a whole event for them. I would absolutely assist them but not do everything (That’s what the Rowdy leaders did building SRAF and other programs that athletics then said “Hey everyone we just came up with a fantastic program this year!!”. What cha mean “we”?). That would be their job.

I didn’t realize Paul was that good. I knew he played but haven’t gotten out with him. He mentioned he rolls with clubs from I think 20 years ago when we last talked which surprised me since people change their stuff so much and technology changing every 5 years. Too many think it’s their clubs that are the issue haha.