Revised Seat Equity Plan now Delayed until Next Year

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
This thread has really gone in the crapper! Golf outings are "voluntary" fund raisers. The goal is to "raise" funds. Posters on these boards complaining about the fee being $150 per person clearly do not play much golf, if any. For a "fund raiser", $150 is pretty standard to play an average course - if you want to raise any funds.

You guys just need to let it go. VCU has been doing golf outing fund raisers since Dick Sander was the VCU AD. If it's too rich for your blood, then so be it. Golf is not a cheap sport, but is used frequently as a fund raiser. VCU is no different than any other D1 university when it comes to golf outing fund raisers.
Repost that in large, bold font. Save it for every big fundraiser event.

Bulleseye @Wolfpack Ram !

rammad90

Elite Member
Repost that in large, bold font. Save it for every big fundraiser event.

Bulleseye @Wolfpack Ram !
Not sure its a Bulls Eye. I think the point is, that the fund raiser could be better organized. I know there has been a focus on the fees and that is the rabbit hole people seem to follow.

Fwiw, when I look at it as a donor who has given 6 figures to the program, I really havent been approached. Now I dont golf but I might mess around in a group if it were pitched to me. Heck. I dont even know when it will be held. Again, that isnt the point.

It looks to me that this tournament, seat equity, hiring, etc, respect of fans are all smaller parts of a bigger issue and that issue appears to be program management.

Love it or hate it its not about the fees. Its about dissatisfaction with Ed and how he manages the AD.

Love his style, or hate is style imo it doesnt seem that anything is going to change unless Ed himself decides to move on. As we state, it is what is is, and it aint what it used to be.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Does anyone actually know what the expectations are from MR on a year in year out basis? It is hard to judge anything if you don’t have a baseline to compare it to.
I mean, my guess would be the expectations for MR for most people are.... finish at worst Top 4 in A10 regular season, make A10 Championship & make the NCAA Tourney every year. To me I would think that's what the floor for a lot of people's expectations are.... since prior to MR tenure as HC... VCU had gone to 7 straight NCAA Tourneys, and 7 straight conf. championship games (including 2011- loss to Fodu in the final, & the 2012 CAA Championship which we won).

Anything short of that, most would consider a failed season.... which would mean MR has had 3 failed seasons here at VCU since coming in as HC... tho most people cut MR slack for the first one.

I mean, my guess would be the expectations for MR for most people are.... finish at worst Top 4 in A10 regular season, make A10 Championship & make the NCAA Tourney every year. To me I would think that's what the floor for a lot of people's expectations are.... since prior to MR tenure as HC... VCU had gone to 7 straight NCAA Tourneys, and 7 straight conf. championship games (including 2011- loss to Fodu in the final, & the 2012 CAA Championship which we won).

Anything short of that, most would consider a failed season.... which would mean MR has had 3 failed seasons here at VCU since coming in as HC... tho most people cut MR slack for the first one.

So I was thinking this. I really never set expectations. I mean solid ones. Like I like to think we should be contending for the A10 and making the NCAA’s pretty regularly. So I would say high A10 regular season finishes 3rd-4th but preferably higher. I would hope for us to have some A10 regular season and tournament championships. Considering the amount of times we have been in the title game I wish we had a better record. The record is quite terrible. I think finishing outside top 4 with the resources and money we pour into the program is unacceptable. If it happens rarely ok but really it shouldn’t ever happen on a consistent basis.

So I was thinking this. I really never set expectations. I mean solid ones. Like I like to think we should be contending for the A10 and making the NCAA’s pretty regularly. So I would say high A10 regular season finishes 3rd-4th but preferably higher. I would hope for us to have some A10 regular season and tournament championships. Considering the amount of times we have been in the title game I wish we had a better record. The record is quite terrible. I think finishing outside top 4 with the resources and money we pour into the program is unacceptable. If it happens rarely ok but really it shouldn’t ever happen on a consistent basis.
We did have two players injured who were expected to have lots of PT. I think having them would have improve our record this year.

my expectations for MR are simple
NCAA tourney no less than 2 out of every 3 years (advance past first round 50% of the time)
Play a top 50 out of conference schedule every year
Hold a conference championship trophy once every 3 years
Finish in top 4 in conference 4 out of 5 years
To me the apprenticeship is over!!!
go Rams

We did have two players injured who were expected to have lots of PT. I think having them would have improve our record this year.

For all the injuries and such we had plenty of chances to lock down a ncaa bid. It should have never come down to a butt kicking in the A10 quarters from a rival. True we had players out or arrive late but the opportunities were there.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Not saying you are wrong on this... however our shot at the NCAA Tourney ended with a loss to Richmond... a team we beat twice in the regular season without Jarren or Jamir. So we could've beaten them again & some will say we shoulda beaten them again, especially since we were the higher seed.

Now sure, its tough to beat a team 3x in one season.... but other VCU teams have done it before.

Plus it's not like we had Jarren & Jamir all season & then lost them right before the game & had no time to game plan without them. We didn't have either one all season, and like I said earlier... we beat Richmond twice in the regular season without them... beat em by 20 pts at our place.

Can't use the injury excuse on that loss that ultimately put the nail in the coffin for us & sent us packing to the NIT.

SteveMM

Elite Member
Not saying you are wrong on this... however our shot at the NCAA Tourney ended with a loss to Richmond... a team we beat twice in the regular season without Jarren or Jamir. So we could've beaten them again & some will say we shoulda beaten them again, especially since we were the higher seed.

Now sure, its tough to beat a team 3x in one season.... but other VCU teams have done it before.

Plus it's not like we had Jarren & Jamir all season & then lost them right before the game & had no time to game plan without them. We didn't have either one all season, and like I said earlier... we beat Richmond twice in the regular season without them... beat em by 20 pts at our place.

Can't use the injury excuse on that loss that ultimately put the nail in the coffin for us & sent us packing to the NIT.
I don't think you can point to anything in that third UR game other than Richmond starting to play like the team everyone expected them to be during the season. Gilyard took the team over (I think literally ... as in, he was coaching) and played like a man possessed. They were just the better team on that day.

Ramdog

Elite Member
I don't think you can point to anything in that third UR game other than Richmond starting to play like the team everyone expected them to be during the season. Gilyard took the team over (I think literally ... as in, he was coaching) and played like a man possessed. They were just the better team on that day.
Richmond had a great week of basketball

VCU has had a great decade of basketball

Are we gonna pretend we didn’t have offensive struggles all year? The difference is our defense never showed up in that third game so we got owned. Our defense bailed us out constantly all year. Our offense was historically bad. If it was even average we might have won the A10.