Rhoades - Year 4

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Obviously I watched the game, or I wouldn't remember it turning into Dunk City, along with over 50% FG shooting, as we continued to press those NBA players until it was more than too late. We were lucky they didn't hit those wide open 3s as well, or we lose by 40 instead of only 25. And yeah, blame the refs, common theme on here. Maybe it was karma for keeping the starters in too long against an injured Akron. Thanks though.
In the first half when the game was lost. Theus played 3 minutes, Reddic played 10 minutes, Brandenberg 10 minutes, Graham 17, Daniels 18. 58 first half minutes. Subs Bri 15, Melvin 12, Jared 6, Hinton, 5, Teddy O, 2, Touyo2 = 6 guys played in the first half 52 minutes.

The first half is when the game was lost neither Ju or Theus could play D the rest of the way. The team was lost without those two on the floor. Yet you state SS stuck with the starters too long when at the point the game was lost he played 11 players and the Subs played almost as much as the starters.

Come on man.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@rammad90 geez, the reading comprehension by the folks who think they're smartest. I said "keeping the starters in too long against an injured AKRON".

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
... I have no clue as to what is going on, and I usually have a bit, not a lot, but a bit of insider info. Given this, are things as bad as this poster states?
I suspect that we will never know what happened this season. It appears to me that we had a lot of inter-squad conflicts that never got resolved in time to save the season. We've been fortunate in years past to have a Maynor or J-Rod or Theus who were able to rally the team behind their leadership. I feel we didn't have that person on this years upperclassmen. Not a ding on anyone, just a fact based on my observations and knowing great players aren't always great leaders.

Assuming the above is accurate; I commend the coaching staff for how they managed it. We didn't see them throwing players under the bus or blame anyone. We didn't see news stories about this or that. And rightly so...we don't need to know those things.

If you want to see what poor management of toxic team dynamics looks like, Google 'Shockers'.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
If you want to see what poor management of toxic team dynamics looks like, Google 'Shockers'.
I'm sorry, I've had all the shock I can stand for the rest of the year, and that's going back to February of this past season.

Reactions: RamStrut

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
@GuardTheArc sounds like your post could've been written exactly about Shaka, especially before he started running any zone. Heck, I'm still salty about how he coached the 2013 Michigan game and SFA game.
If you watched the Michigan game and thought "some zone would swing this game in our favor", then you were watching the wrong game.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@rollins77 no, simple solid man-to-man most of the game would've slowed them enough to keep us in the game, regardless of foul trouble. McGary was going to get his, make the other guys consistently beat us in the half court. That's the one game I would like to see how Wade would coach it, as he wasn't shy about ditching the press. Against a team like that, you don't want it to be a track meet.

Last edited:

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
@rollins77 no, simple solid man-to-man most of the game would've slowed them enough to keep us in the game, regardless of foul trouble. McGary was going to get his, make the other guys consistently beat us in the half court. That's the one game I would like to see how Wade would coach it, as he wasn't shy about ditching the press. Against a team like that, you don't want it to be a track meet.
That Michigan team was LOADED. Zone was not winning that game. Sometimes you just tip your cap to the team with six NBA dudes.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Obviously I watched the game, or I wouldn't remember it turning into Dunk City, along with over 50% FG shooting, as we continued to press those NBA players until it was more than too late. We were lucky they didn't hit those wide open 3s as well, or we lose by 40 instead of only 25. And yeah, blame the refs, common theme on here. Maybe it was karma for keeping the starters in too long against an injured Akron. Thanks though.
Dude no matter whether we kept the starters in there or gave the bench guys some run..... that was nor going to change the result of the Michigan game. As @rammad90 said... the game was in their backyard basically... they had a roster loaded with NBA Talent.... and with the refs calling foul after foul on Ju & Darius.... we were screwed pretty much to the point it didn't matter what we did. No one was hitting shots, we couldn't play def because of the fear of getting fouls called on us..... and their talent outweighed our talent.

We coulda benched our starters against Akron in the 2nd half, still whooped Akron & still gotten whooped by Michigan.

Reactions: rammad90

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
That the rub....yea we might have been able to keep it closer but we are in it to win...not come in second.
Only way we were going to beat that team is get them playing faster than they wanted to and get some live ball turnovers ....

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
May 4, 2012
With the players we had there was no stopping them. Havoc was designed to fail against that team but regardless what we might have done, we lose that one.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
That Michigan team was LOADED. Zone was not winning that game. Sometimes you just tip your cap to the team with six NBA dudes.
I literally said nothing about running a zone. I said solid man-to-man.

Last edited:

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
We coulda benched our starters against Akron in the 2nd half, still whooped Akron & still gotten whooped by Michigan.
I didn't mean that literally. Just sort of a basketball gods punishment kinda thing. I wasn't trying to imply that our lineups against Michigan had anything to do with the loss, because they didn't. I remember everyone questioning why we were making a point to embarrass Akron. Well we got our medicine quickly.

Last edited:

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
That the rub....yea we might have been able to keep it closer but we are in it to win...not come in second.
Only way we were going to beat that team is get them playing faster than they wanted to and get some live ball turnovers ....
Everyone and their mama knew that team was loaded with future NBA players. The last thing you wanna do to a team full of NBA players is speed them up, they just play better that way. Taking a chance of forcing a few turnovers isn't worth that risk. Regardless of our chances of winning, we didn't need to get boatraced and embarrassed. I don't even remember Louisville pressing them that much (yes they had better talent than us).

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
We have had a lot of close wins and losses in the NCAA tournament that could have gone the other way if one possession had gone differently, but that Michigan game was not one of them. I can't believe that is the one that is being debated.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
In the first half when the game was lost. Theus played 3 minutes, Reddic played 10 minutes, Brandenberg 10 minutes, Graham 17, Daniels 18. 58 first half minutes. Subs Bri 15, Melvin 12, Jared 6, Hinton, 5, Teddy O, 2, Touyo2 = 6 guys played in the first half 52 minutes.

The first half is when the game was lost neither Ju or Theus could play D the rest of the way. The team was lost without those two on the floor. Yet you state SS stuck with the starters too long when at the point the game was lost he played 11 players and the Subs played almost as much as the starters.

Come on man.
@rammad90 geez, the reading comprehension by the folks who think they're smartest. I said "keeping the starters in too long against an injured AKRON".
That Michigan team was just better than we were. It was a layup line at times for them, but we weren't going to win that game on a "neutral floor". I remember being in that arena thinking this felt like a road game in Ann Arbor. We could have gotten the Michigan State fans into it a bit more for us, but we didn't give them much to cheer about. Bottom line is that no matter what coaching Shaka did that day, we weren't beating that Michigan team on that day. They were just better than us.