Rhoades - Year 4

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
That Michigan team was just better than we were. It was a layup line at times for them, but we weren't going to win that game on a "neutral floor". I remember being in that arena thinking this felt like a road game in Ann Arbor. We could have gotten the Michigan State fans into it a bit more for us, but we didn't give them much to cheer about. Bottom line is that no matter what coaching Shaka did that day, we weren't beating that Michigan team on that day. They were just better than us.
I 100% agree. I always thought they were under seeded that year.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
We have had a lot of close wins and losses in the NCAA tournament that could have gone the other way if one possession had gone differently, but that Michigan game was not one of them. I can't believe that is the one that is being debated.
Neither do I . LQuarles stated that he was pissed/annoyed/bothered by SS' coaching of that game. Give me a break. As i stated, those guys had 6 first rounders and the College POY on their team. We had three NBA journey men.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Everyone and their mama knew that team was loaded with future NBA players. The last thing you wanna do to a team full of NBA players is speed them up, they just play better that way. Taking a chance of forcing a few turnovers isn't worth that risk. Regardless of our chances of winning, we didn't need to get boatraced and embarrassed. I don't even remember Louisville pressing them that much (yes they had better talent than us).
That's not entirely true. Pressing teams have won national championships and have advanced. Heck VCU did the same in 2011. Take a look at the Louisville game again. Louisville did all they could to increase the pace of the game. In fact, that game was the 2nd highest scoring non-OT game in that decade. Only Carolina v. Michigan State scored more total points. *UVA Texas Tech also had more total points but they needed OT to do so.

Go slow, Go fast. Lose by 5 or 50 it dont matter we were going home that day. Coaching had nothing to do with it.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
That Michigan team was just better than we were. It was a layup line at times for them, but we weren't going to win that game on a "neutral floor". I remember being in that arena thinking this felt like a road game in Ann Arbor. We could have gotten the Michigan State fans into it a bit more for us, but we didn't give them much to cheer about. Bottom line is that no matter what coaching Shaka did that day, we weren't beating that Michigan team on that day. They were just better than us.
But wait....we could have used that magic coaching move that works everytime

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Pressing and doubling less, and playing solid half court MAN TO MAN defense more, NOT ZONE, to cut back on Trey Burke's assists and the alley oops and dunks, would've given us a better chance to win. No one here, including me, is saying we would've won. But I would prefer to not get embarrassed on national TV at the same time everyone was still praising Shaka to be a guru. He didn't even take half court defense seriously until he got to Texas and was forced to. I guarantee Grant or Wade would've kept the game closer and more fun to watch, regardless of losing. As Wade showed, you can still force turnovers in the half court.

Why we would try to speed up a team of NBA players, when our offense wasn't that good or talented enough to play a fast paced game with them, is beyond me. This is exactly why UVA slows their more talented opponents down. It's not rocket science. UVA is hardly ever the more talented team against FSU, Duke, UNC. And yes I realize they slow everyone else down as well. But most of those teams are still more talented than them.

I hope that post was clear enough for others to not misread and twist my words into another argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: duncanlamb

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Pressing and doubling less, and playing solid half court MAN TO MAN defense more, NOT ZONE, to cut back on Trey Burke's assists and the alley oops and dunks, would've given us a better chance to win. No one here, including me, is saying we would've won. But I would prefer to not get embarrassed on national TV at the same time everyone was still praising Shaka to be a guru. He didn't even take half court defense seriously until he got to Texas and was forced to. I guarantee Grant or Wade would've kept the game closer and more fun to watch, regardless of losing. As Wade showed, you can still force turnovers in the half court.

Why we would try to speed up a team of NBA players, when our offense wasn't that good or talented enough to play a fast paced game with them, is beyond me. This is exactly why UVA slows their more talented opponents down. It's not rocket science. UVA is hardly ever the more talented team against FSU, Duke, UNC. And yes I realize they slow everyone else down as well. But most of those teams are still more talented than them.

I hope that post was clear enough for others to not misread and twist my words into another argument.
Keep in mind that Grant and Wade have only won one NCAA tournament game in their careers.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015

I'm sorry, but are you implying it's fun to watch UVA basketball?

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Keep in mind that Grant and Wade have only won one NCAA tournament game in their careers.
Which sucks for Grant since Dayton had both the talent and coaching to win it all this year. But at least he beat Duke!

Last edited:

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
I'm sorry, but are you implying it's fun to watch UVA basketball?
It's very fun. I don't want to watch all teams play fast paced. I like all basketball. Slow basketball is still basketball. And UVA has been darn good at it lately. It's very fun to watch UNC and Duke struggle against real defense and have to play methodically sometimes. I hate when VCU and UVA have games at the same time with no DVR. I love when I can watch us play fast and UVA play slow the same day. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Also, UVA played faster than usual last season, because they had the talent. They even ran A LOT of iso ball with Ty Jerome and told everyone else to get out the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: duncanlamb

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
I give credit to Smart for the FF run. Many fans liked to give most of the credit to Wade and Rhoades for it, but not me. They were all just great together as a unit, and Smart's way of using psychology and meditation to help the players is something more coaches should do. And his motivation during the run was awesome. I just think over the following two seasons, most of us, including me at the time, were just overconfident and thought we were better than we really were. So we kinda put the coaching nitpicks to the side. Easy to say with hindsight though.

Last edited:
Reactions: share the ball

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I give credit to Smart for the FF run. Many fans liked to give most of the credit to Wade and Rhoades for it, but not me. They were all just great together as a unit, and Smart's way of using psychology and meditation to help the players is something more coaches should do. And his motivation during the run was awesome. I just think over the following two seasons, most of us, including me at the time, were just overconfident and thought we were better than we really were. So we kinda put the coaching nitpicks to the side. Easy to say with hindsight though.
It was definitely a team success. All 3 coaches brought specific talents to bear at the right time, and the kids got hot, and stayed hot.

Reactions: share the ball

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009

Get box score updates on the VCU Rams vs. Michigan Wolverines basketball game. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=330820130
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Amen!!!!

Glenn Robinson III and Mitch McGary went 17-19 on 2 ptrs. Mostly dunks and layins from trey burke leap passes and give n go's for 40 minutes!!

Open 3's from the short corner!!

Shaka never adjusted...kept right on pressing.

How is that good?

Anybody debating and willling to risk the urge to gouge out their eyes at this performance can go back and rewatch the game