Rhoades - Year 4

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Has MR and staff maintained the level that they found when they arrived? No. Does that bother me? No.MR is building a long term foundation. Each recruiting class has been graded higher than the previous. Is MR SS or WW? No but I think he has a the best chance of any coach in VCU to have the floor of the arena named after him

May 4, 2012
Has MR and staff maintained the level that they found when they arrived? No. Does that bother me? No.MR is building a long term foundation. Each recruiting class has been graded higher than the previous. Is MR SS or WW? No but I think he has a the best chance of any coach in VCU to have the floor of the arena named after him
Wins are the issue.

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
After presumably meeting/speaking with Coach Rhoades (and perhaps some staff).

Coaches are, first and foremost, salespeople. Some better than others. They send messages, both subtle and direct, by what they say and don’t say, by their passion or lack thereof, about their intentions/plans/vision for a player and for the program overall.

Some coaches (and their staffs) are more personable, charismatic, convincing, pedigreed, engaged, resolute, passionate, focused, organized, etc than others.

After doing due diligence, most players/families (and the coaching staffs) can generally “read the tea leaves,” one way or the other, and adjust their gameplan accordingly.
and some coaches just pay more.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Someone uploaded a nice condensed version of the home Dayton game (no commercials, timeouts, etc. Dayton/Kansas is there too). If we could've been healthy and played like that every game, especially the youngins, we probably would've had the same record as Dayton. Like the announcers said in the 2nd half, it felt like we were leading even though Dayton was. So many awesome plays. (10 points from seniors)

Last edited:

ramsareus

Top Member
Insider
Oct 18, 2019
This was the cupboard the day Rhoades was hired..............Williams, Tillman, Jenkins, Doughty, Hamdy, Crow, Vann, Fraser, Batts, Kiir, MSS, Mobley.

From that day forward, every player that suits up for VCU is completely/exclusively up to Mike Rhoades. He is, and always will be, under no obligation to any player from year to year. He and his staff are responsible for player selection and development. That's why he makes $1.5M+.

As all new coaches do, he looked in that cupboard and threw out some stale bread, kept some old soup, returned some unused/never-opened groceries, exchanged a few items, and bought some new groceries. His decision. And he lives (and we live) with the consequences.
What a joke!! I have no issues at all with criticism and disappointment over the results of last year. But to even give any recognition to a coward who seems to disappear when things are going well and to show up during tough times is hard to justify. If I remember correctly I don’t believe we heard anything at all last year positive from Mr. Arc when we won the regular season and had the coach of the year. I would be glad to hear opinions from true fans but each time I see one of his posts it honestly makes me laugh. Can’t think of anything more worthless than the crap he continues to spew out!! Fortunately I only visit the boards every two months or so to avoid this trash, hoping to see a more rational discussion of my Rams. Think I will just stick to the recruiting threads going forward.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Someone uploaded a nice condensed version of the home Dayton game (no commercials, timeouts, etc. Dayton/Kansas is there too). If we could've been healthy and played like that every game, especially the youngins, we probably would've had the same record as Dayton. Like the announcers said in the 2nd half, it felt like we were leading even though Dayton was. So many awesome plays. (10 points from seniors)

Anthony Grant arrived at Dayton the same year as Rhoades got to VCU and has yet to make an NCAA tournament. Hot seat?

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
#1) Recruiting/Roster Construction/Roster Mgmt: GRADE C- (to date)

A)
At the time Mike Rhoades was hired, Apr 2017, VCU was unquestionably a Top 4 non-P6 program along with Gonzaga, Wichita St, and
Cincy (and a Top 50 program overall). The program accomplishments 2004-17 were undeniably impressive (and actually remarkable,
particularly for a non-P6).

B) For the last three years, Mike Rhoades and his staff have enjoyed a recruiting environment unlike anything ever experienced before
(and ever again) at VCU (the new practice facility, the Siegel sellout streak, the 7 straight NCAA tourney appearances, the 24+ win
season streak (11), the A-10 title game appearance streak (5), the fairly recent Final 4 appearance, an established national playing
style brand (Havoc), unprecedented national TV exposure, a multi-bid conference (A-10), major campus upgrades, and NBA alum like
Maynor, Sanders, Weber, Graham, and Daniels). The recruiting advantages that Capel/Grant/Smart/Wade teed up for Mike and his staff
were/are unprecedented.

C) Mike's four classes to date are as follows:
2017-18 - Lane, Maye, Jackson, Simms, Djonkam, Evans, *MSS, *Mobley
2018-19 - Curry, Williams, Douglas, Byrd, Gilmore
2019-20 - Bones, Clark, McAllister, Ward
2020-21 - MBJ, Baldwin, Banks, Watkins, BMB

22 kids......15 HS/prep school, 3 D-1 Transfer-Ups, 2 GT, 2 JUCO. * Wade retainees

The long term effectiveness/impact of this first swath (2018-21) of recruits remains to be seen but the results so far have been
somewhat uninspiring (quite frankly, not at the standard achieved by previous VCU staffs). From 2004-2017, with much less to
sell/offer in many cases, VCU still landed the likes of Walker, JPR, Shuler, Maynor, George, Reddic, Weber, Theus, Graham, Daniels,
Johnson, Alie-Cox, Sanders, Burgess (2), Tuoyo, Lyles, Billbury, Doughty, Shannon, Doles, Fameni, Anderson, Lewis, Tillman, Larrier,
Gilmore, Brandenberg, and others. Hence, the 15 years of greatness (10 NCAA appearances).

D) While Mike and his staff have clearly targeted the 4-yr HS route as the preferred recruiting choice (for program continuity long
term), our lack of success with GTs, JUCOs, transfer-downs (from P6s) is noticeable. This talent pipeline helps supplement the foundational HS
recruits, plug gaps, and fortify strengths. Our program history is littered with impact transfers like Evans, Skeen, Hopkins, Doles,
Fameni, Harris, Billbury, and others. For a non-P6 trying desperately to remain relevant, we need to unearth talent from every
available source.

E) With a "1 for 3" NCAA appearance record and Year 4 likely headed for a rebuild, Mike and his staff have some serious work to do. The
program has lost some of its cache, both on and off the court (i.e. on the trail). We don't really even appear to be on the Top 100
recruit radar anymore (for the most part) like we were under Smart/Wade. Program perception/visibility, at our level, is palpable (and
critically important).

F) Our anemic offense under Rhoades (KP #146, KP #177, and KP #139; 3 of the 4 worst VCU offenses in the past 20 yrs) is the current
performance anchor and NCAA appearance obstacle. Only time will tell if he can turn that around but some high-level recruiting and proper
talent evaluation/targeting (along with a little offensive imagination/creativity/analytics) will go a long ways to fixing what ails
us.

G) In the recruiting game, Mike and his staff are, for all intents and purposes, competing with non-P6/NCAA caliber brethren Wichita
St, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU, Dayton, St Louis, Richmond, Davidson, Rhody, BYU, St Marys, San Diego St, New Mexico, etc for
"second tier" recruits, hidden gems, and disgruntled P6 or low-major talents looking to transfer up or down. He's competing against
some savvy recruiters/staffs........Sampson, Marshall, Hardaway, Brannen, McKillop, Cox, Grant, Dawkins, Ford, Pope, Mooney, etc. Does
he and his staff have the pull/sway/gravitas on the trail?

H) More than likely, the 9 current frosh/soph (counting BMB as a soph as he probably sits) will determine Mike's (and the program's)
fate (either way) over the next 3 years. By 2023-24, if we haven't danced since Rhoades Year 2, Mike (and perhaps Ed) will be in
serious trouble and could, probably should, be gone. If we do dance along the way, Mike might be gone anyway (to a P6 - safer, more
lucrative waters).
Big Man Recruiting..........

Before Mike Rhoades took the reigns, we landed the following bigs (many of them CAA and pre-Final 4):
Sanders, Skeen (D-1 trans), Fameni (D-1 trans), Anderson, Simmons, Guest, Haley, Reddic, Touyo, Alie-Cox, Pischalnikov (trans), Houston, Tillman, Gilmore, Hamdy (JUCO), Shannon (GT), Veal (JUCO), Roland (JUCO), Hopkins (JUCO), Godwin (JUCO), Murphy (never came), Kiir (never came)

Since Mike Rhoades took the reigns, we've landed the following bigs (all A-10 and post-Final 4):
Lane (GT), Djonkam, Gilmore (GT), MSS (Wade), Mobley (Wade), Douglas (trans), BMB (trans), MBJ, Ward, Stockard (GT)

The results of the MBJ/Ward/BMB trio will ultimately tell the tale of the Rhoades era with respect to bigs (hopefully they'll have a Reddic/Sanders impact).

Reactions: ssvcu90 and Newboy
Feb 14, 2011
When I read threads themed like this one, the same question always comes to mind; "what are your expectations?" Last season was a "Murphy's Law" kind of year. What could go wrong did. Injuries, personality conflicts, coaches "loosing" their players confidence. When I'm honest with my self; I think it probably could have been much worse than it was. In the new era of VCU basketball, say 15 or so years, there's only been two or three seasons where the program didn't meet MY expectations, expectations that I thought were realistic.

One of the things I love the most about mid-major college sports is I need to adjust my expectations every season. Not only because for the new players on the court but the good coaches make changes season to season based on roster.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Wins are the issue.
Give him some time. I mean we can debate tactics and such for discussion. I’ve surely been critical at times. Patience is very much needed here after losing so many recruiting classes with so many coaching changes. Next year will probably be pretty muddy as well being so young. After year 5, we will have a better understanding if Rhoades is the long-term guy. This will be just his first year with all his guys. Give the man a real honest chance here.

May 4, 2012
Give him some time. I mean we can debate tactics and such for discussion. I’ve surely been critical at times. Patience is very much needed here after losing so many recruiting classes with so many coaching changes. Next year will probably be pretty muddy as well being so young. After year 5, we will have a better understanding if Rhoades is the long-term guy. This will be just his first year with all his guys. Give the man a real honest chance here.
Hes had his chances.
He will get far more time due to one bad decision by Ed. I waited out Polio and Sonny. L just have to wait on this one too.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Hes had his chances.
He will get far more time due to one bad decision by Ed. I waited out Polio and Sonny. L just have to wait on this one too.
Sometimes the cupboard is worse off than it seems. The outgoing Coach leaves with a wining record but didnt leave much behind. I think this is the case with MR and with SS at Texas. It looks like a huge drop off but that drop off occurs if the other guy had stayed as well.

MR has 3 years, I think given Mikes ties to the program you give him 5. What we need to establish or what needs to be established is what is our measure of success. Is the NCAA dance successful, 20 plus wins, or a win in the NCAA .

For me the floor is an NCAA bid 8 out of 10 years in the A10, a tourney win 6of those 8 appearances, with a Sweet 16 every 6 years or so.