Rhoades - Year 4

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Give him some time. I mean we can debate tactics and such for discussion. I’ve surely been critical at times. Patience is very much needed here after losing so many recruiting classes with so many coaching changes. Next year will probably be pretty muddy as well being so young. After year 5, we will have a better understanding if Rhoades is the long-term guy. This will be just his first year with all his guys. Give the man a real honest chance here.
This is reasonable. I've been critical of Rhoades, but given the coaching changes, the man absolutely should get 5 years to get us moving in the right direction. I really hope he can do it.

Reactions: RamStrut
May 4, 2012
Sometimes the cupboard is worse off than it seems. The outgoing Coach leaves with a wining record but didnt leave much behind. I think this is the case with MR and with SS at Texas. It looks like a huge drop off but that drop off occurs if the other guy had stayed as well.

MR has 3 years, I think given Mikes ties to the program you give him 5. What we need to establish or what needs to be established is what is our measure of success. Is the NCAA dance successful, 20 plus wins, or a win in the NCAA .

For me the floor is an NCAA bid 8 out of 10 years in the A10, a tourney win 6of those 8 appearances, with a Sweet 16 every 6 years or so.
Not sure Pitino could deliver that.
Im tired of excuses. Like Jerry Lewis, i want improvement year over year. I realize its never a straight line but the MR trend as a D1 head coach is not good.
But hes not immortal so eventually he will be gone.

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009
Im tired of excuses. Like Jerry Lewis, i want improvement year over year. I realize its never a straight line but the MR trend as a D1 head coach is not good.
How are they going to improve since you stopped supporting them financially after the first reseating?

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Ok then let’s try Coach K. Go ahead and look at his record his first three years at Duke. They should’ve just fired him, right?

Apr 22, 2009
Guard the arc makes some...valid points. You may hate him but Rhoades is at best a C+ thus far. And that is being generous.

I liked the hire at the time but he has been very mediocre. He's had plenty of time and his product is....mediocre.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
I'm glad Coach K. or Tony Bennett weren't fired after three/four years.

People forget the enormity of the job Rhoades did at turning Rice around so quickly. He's getting better talent now than he had at Rice or here, be patient. He's going to look like a different coach next season.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2011
I'm glad Coach K. or Tony Bennett weren't fired after three years.

People forget the enormity of the job Rhoades did at turning Rice around so quickly. He's getting better talent now than he had at Rice or here, be patient. He's going to look like a different coach next season.
Tony Bennett is a horrible comparison here. He took a 4 win team to 15, 16, 22 wins and a NCAA birth. That is a good upward trajectory with a NCAA tourney in year 3. Also no one is advocating for Rhoades to be fired. Just that he needs to show his coaching skills in push the team in a positive trajectory instead on the negative one we are currently on.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
I'm not expecting a miracle this season but I am expecting to see guys giving it their all. I want that Briante Weber, run through a wall energy. If the shots don't fall I can live with that. Honestly I'm just glad to not have to watch that group of seniors from last year anymore. This year will hopefully confirm that last year had a roster of guys that weren't a good fit for MR. If we see similar chemistry problems it will be time to break the emergency glass and do something drastic.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Doing what I suggested shouldn't be tough. Fwiw, you stated you wanted year to year improvement. If we were to improve year after year we would perform at the level I stated.

VCU is the flagship of the A10 typically we recruit the top 3 classes in the league. We have some of the best if not the best facilities in the league, plus we have one of highest paid and respected staffs. 8 NCAA bids every 10 years isn't a big deal for a program such as ours that has gone all in on Mens's Basketball.

Fwiw, Mike Rhodes is good enough to get it done. We just have to give the guy a chance.

Last edited: