Rhoades - Year 4

May 4, 2012
I'm not going to say I completely agree, but I'm also not going to say I completely disagree with the bolded part.... and here's why.

1. You make the point of needing stability & support.... well other than Shaka, we haven't had a coach stay more than 3 years since Capel, and people are always saying they are tired of coaches using us as a stepping stone & that we need to pony up & pay them to keep them here.... Well we did.Now that's not to say that people came at Rhoades after that season & tried to lure him away from VCU (Idk if anyone did or not).... but who knows.

2. The first season I think everyone knew MR first season was going to be a struggle after losing so many players due to graduation & half of a recruiting class (the other half of which is now gone).... Then Season #2 he led our squad to the A10 Reg season title... a team that had 2 seniors.... Xavier Jackson & Michael Gilmore.... (neither of whom which really were vital parts of our in our success that year over the long haul).

And what happened? We lost one of our Best Players, Marcus Evans, in the 1st round of the A10 Tourney against Rhody (a game we led at half), due to an injury. And understandably to an extent it affected our teams focus the rest of the game & we ended losing to URI.... And then UCF was just a bad matchup altogether..... But we all agree, that season as a whole was good.

Then you had last year.... which started off pretty good, entered conference play 10-3, and then right before Valentines day.... things just went to Heck in a hand basket.... and its clear there was something going on with the team chemistry wise.... and of course drama off the court started to happen. Whatever the root of all the drama was... who knows... but clearly it affected our team.

So the question, we gotta ask ourselves, is that on MR or the players? I mean, how did we go from winning the A10 Regular season Tourney & Making the NCAA Tourney (with 0 impactful seniors... Gilmore was good don't get me wrong, but he only played double digit minutes in like 6 games all year that year)..... to a team (with 5 seniors) that went sub .500 in conference play this year (and sparring a miraculous run in the A10 Tourney), that might not have even gotten into the NIT Tourney. Now sure the A10 was definitely better this year... but there was clearly something behind the scenes.

So the question we gotta ask ourselves is (Rhetorical question).... Who/what was the reason for our struggle his past season?

If you think it's MR, and you think that team chemistry is going to continue to be a problem going forward (after not really being a problem the first 2 years).... then yes you can say we over paid for him. If you are like some & think that there was just something completely odd about this season (that no one is really 100% sure what) and that it was an anomaly & not indicative of MR coaching/leadership abilities.... then I think it's too early to say we over paid MR too soon.

I personally think it's too early to tell.
You dont have to overpay someone looking for a place to retire. You can pay them less.

MR was the guy being paid, its on him. If you have a cancer, you cut it out. When Jay_Q got a big head he sat until he could fit his head through the door again. Its simple. riding them in practice is pointless if you play them regardless.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
You dont have to overpay someone looking for a place to retire. You can pay them less.

MR was the guy being paid, its on him. If you have a cancer, you cut it out. When Jay_Q got a big head he sat until he could fit his head through the door again. Its simple. riding them in practice is pointless if you play them regardless.
Ok but lemme ask you something.... What changed from Year 2 to year 3?

Year 2 as I mentioned we had 0 truly impactful seniors (Gilmore had a couple good games, but overall on the season, he wasn't that impactful).... and yet we went on to win the A10 Regular season Title going 16-2 in the A10.... and were leading at halftime against Rhody in the A10 Tourney when Evans went down.

The only people we lost from that team were: Jackson, Gilmore, Byrd, Mobley & DSG (Walk-on)

And we had very little team chemistry or drama issues that year.

Then year 3 (this past season) we have 5 seniors....so what happened? We started off the year well.... 10-3 in OOC play.... and started off decent in conference play (only 3 losses were to the 2 best teams- Rhody & Dayton).... then right before Valentines day.... things just imploded.

So what changed? Clearly the demeanor in our players (especially the seniors) changed but why? You gonna tell me MR just said Idgaf anymore halfway through conference play? I highly doubt that.

And unless you're going to tell me that the freshmen from this past year (Bones, Ward, Clark, & McAllister) were the ones causing the rift between our team..... which I absolutely do not believe & have not heard anyone claim this...... then who's to blame for the team all of a sudden becoming a sinking ship?

What changed from year 2... to midway through conference play of year 3? What changed?

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
Ok but lemme ask you something.... What changed from Year 2 to year 3?

Year 2 as I mentioned we had 0 truly impactful seniors (Gilmore had a couple good games, but overall on the season, he wasn't that impactful).... and yet we went on to win the A10 Regular season Title going 16-2 in the A10.... and were leading at halftime against Rhody in the A10 Tourney when Evans went down.

The only people we lost from that team were: Jackson, Gilmore, Byrd, Mobley & DSG (Walk-on)

And we had very little team chemistry or drama issues that year.

Then year 3 (this past season) we have 5 seniors....so what happened? We started off the year well.... 10-3 in OOC play.... and started off decent in conference play (only 3 losses were to the 2 best teams- Rhody & Dayton).... then right before Valentines day.... things just imploded.

So what changed? Clearly the demeanor in our players (especially the seniors) changed but why? You gonna tell me MR just said Idgaf anymore halfway through conference play? I highly doubt that.

And unless you're going to tell me that the freshmen from this past year (Bones, Ward, Clark, & McAllister) were the ones causing the rift between our team..... which I absolutely do not believe & have not heard anyone claim this...... then who's to blame for the team all of a sudden becoming a sinking ship?

What changed from year 2... to midway through conference play of year 3? What changed?
We played a much softer schedule which made the season seem better than it was.
We don't know if there was drama only that it didnt hurt us.
The guy paid to sail the ship is responsible. If ts the kids, they go to the end of the bench. If its the upperclassmen, same answer. If that doesnt work, they find themselves off the team. Somebody has to be in charge.
I tend to think it was the seniors but have no smoking guns. The team failing ot be "THE TEAM" it was hyped to be due to how it was told to play seems very likely, again no proof. Coming to their final year and knowing that pro ball just wasnt happening for them is a bitter pill to swallow.
And managing expectations is the coach's job too.

Jul 14, 2011

I don't think we will ever figure out what went on behind the scenes but I don't think at this point we can determine whether the freshman or upperclassmen caused the unrest. The only real change between the years was adding those freshman so it seems like that is the only obvious variable. Also I feel like there have not been any claims to upper classmen being the cause outside of conjecture from the fan base which is based off of feelings but also gives an easy out: blame the people who are leaving.

No matter what the blame should go to the entire team and coaching staff. All had some impact on our failures in some way. Which way, we will most likely never know.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
We played a much softer schedule which made the season seem better than it was.
We don't know if there was drama only that it didnt hurt us.
The guy paid to sail the ship is responsible. If ts the kids, they go to the end of the bench. If its the upperclassmen, same answer. If that doesnt work, they find themselves off the team. Somebody has to be in charge.
I tend to think it was the seniors but have no smoking guns. The team failing ot be "THE TEAM" it was hyped to be due to how it was told to play seems very likely, again no proof. Coming to their final year and knowing that pro ball just wasnt happening for them is a bitter pill to swallow.
And managing expectations is the coach's job too.
Only one person is paid to deal with that.
So basically from what it sounds like.... the Coach is to blame for everything. The players are not responsible & should not be blamed for their own actions... got it.

Also, just so you know, the coach isn't the one out their playing. Sure he controls who gets on the court.... but he doesn't control what the players do when they are out there.

Reactions: rammed
May 4, 2012
So basically from what it sounds like.... the Coach is to blame for everything. The players are not responsible & should not be blamed for their own actions... got it.

Also, just so you know, the coach isn't the one out their playing. Sure he controls who gets on the court.... but he doesn't control what the players do when they are out there.
the coach determines who plays and how much and thats his leverage to deal with players.
The players are held to perform by issue of minutes and withdraw of scholarships. It does not happen often that a kid mucks up so badly that he gets booted but it does happen. Loss of minutes is common and generally effective.
But you have to be willing to be the bad guy.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Only one person is paid to deal with that.
Jeebus you're getting to be a a beating. We all know a coach is responsible for a team, and we also know it's not as simple as that (except you I believe). Coaches, and players are all responsible for wins, and losses. Players are responsible for being the adults they want everyone to think they are, and keep their heads in the game.

You don't like him, we all know that along with tribes of as yet undiscovered Indian in the Peruvian Andes. Your dislike of him colors every post, and makes them white noise that are getting ignored more and more.

May 4, 2012
Jeebus you're getting to be a a beating. We all know a coach is responsible for a team, and we also know it's not as simple as that (except you I believe). Coaches, and players are all responsible for wins, and losses. Players are responsible for being the adults they want everyone to think they are, and keep their heads in the game.

You don't like him, we all know that along with tribes of as yet undiscovered Indian in the Peruvian Andes. Your dislike of him colors every post, and makes them white noise that are getting ignored more and more.
So lets see...
Coach is respinsible when he choses to allow bad behavior you feel no need to hold him accountable.
Yes its normal to cast aspersions and walk away when you cant justify your position.
Good for you.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
So lets see...
Coach is respinsible when he choses to allow bad behavior you feel no need to hold him accountable.
Yes its normal to cast aspersions and walk away when you cant justify your position.
Good for you.
I have never said a coach is not responsible for his players, and their actions. Cast aspersions ? Brah, I'm just making a general observation about how you beat everyone over the head with your dislike of MR.

Reactions: DisplacedRam
Feb 14, 2011
I should really follow the lead of many other long time members that have stopped looking at Ramnation over the past couple of years simply because it pisses me off more than makes me happy and I don't learn anything. The ignorance, entitlement, opinions and lack of knowledge of ollege athletics of so many people that are still here is such a bad sampling of VCU supporters and the entire athletics program. If I go to a movie, show, concert or even a VCU game and I don't like the product I am seeing and/or I get angry, I get up and leave. If someone doesn't like the product VCU Athletics is providing and is unhappy...stop donating, stop buying the beer and popcorn, stop buying tickets and go find another program to support that make you happy.

90% RamNation is no longer a place to have a intelligent and civilized conversation about sports, it's become a place for anonymous people to create conflict, looking for a fight.

May 4, 2012
I should really follow the lead of many other long time members that have stopped looking at Ramnation over the past couple of years simply because it pisses me off more than makes me happy and I don't learn anything. The ignorance, entitlement, opinions and lack of knowledge of ollege athletics of so many people that are still here is such a bad sampling of VCU supporters and the entire athletics program. If I go to a movie, show, concert or even a VCU game and I don't like the product I am seeing and/or I get angry, I get up and leave. If someone doesn't like the product VCU Athletics is providing and is unhappy...stop donating, stop buying the beer and popcorn, stop buying tickets and go find another program to support that make you happy.

90% RamNation is no longer a place to have a intelligent and civilized conversation about sports, it's become a place for anonymous people to create conflict, looking for a fight.
Explain how i can transfer my degree and years of my life to a different school please.
This is not as simple as changing what brand of cereal i choose to buy.

GarseIronjade

Top Member
Nov 16, 2016
Explain how i can transfer my degree and years of my life to a different school please.
This is not as simple as changing what brand of cereal i choose to buy.
He didn't reply to you or name you.

This is yet another example of you getting offended at a generic post that does not address or impugn you, making a general statement about the forum.

You always assume any post about trolls or people creating conflict are specifically addressed to you.

There is an elegantly simple explanation for your defensiveness.