Richmond Nightlife?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ECU, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ECU

ECU New Member

Hi, I'm visiting Richmond, can you guys tell me where should check out? I would like an area I can bar hop, with maybe some cover band place early and a dancing option late. Best I can tell from my internet search is West Main Street is where it's happening?

Thanks

BaNgMyPrOgRaM likes this.
  2. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend Top Member

Main Street is certainly a good place to check out for bar hopping..... There's Postbellum, Baja Bean, Home Team Grill.... some new brew right across from Baja Bean called Canon & Draw.... a little further up there's District 5, Social 52, F.W. Sullivans, 3 monkeys.

If you go back towards downtown there's Capital City Ale House, Kabana Rooftop, Southern Railway Taphouse, Cha Cha's Cantina, Buffalo Wild Wings, and probably some other stuff.

Also there's Gus' which is on Broad street, right across from the Science Museum.

On Overbrook Road there's Hardywood Craft Brewery, as well as Castleburg Brewery right around the corner.

On Myers street which is not far from the Boulevard there is River City Roll.... where you can go bowling.

There's also Squirrels games at the Diamond (if they are in town) and there's also Bow Tie Cinema at the corner of Boulevard & Leigh Street.

So there's definitely a lot of options.

3. Ramdog

Ramdog Legend Top Member

I will be throwing down some tequila at my place on Holly ...bring the lime.

4. ECU

ECU New Member

Do you have a certain one or two you would recommend over the others? Thanks for your help.

5. VCUPepBandRules

VCUPepBandRules Hall of Famer Top Member

If ya like beer, we've got plenty of that here and were listed as Vinepair's #1 destination for the fun stuff for 2018...
    ...plus we have a couple of Cideries and some Distilleries...

https://www.visitrichmondva.com/drink/richmond-beer-trail/

I'd start in Scotts Addition at a few of the breweries/cideries as well as The Circuit, which is a bar/arcade parlor, than Uber to main street and follow @RowdyPkunk 's suggestions...

Also, most of the places that make the booze fill growlers and crowlers (one-time use cans) that you can take with you...

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  6. VCUPepBandRules

VCUPepBandRules Hall of Famer Top Member

So, @ECU, a real question is what's bringing you to the RVA?

Are you looking to transfer from Greenville for work and/or school and looking for a similar vibe? Cuz we have that here in Richmond in spades.

One thing you'll find here in Richmond is that we're fairly compact, much like how Greenville feels, and all of the "fun" is located in a some small clusters spread throughout the greater Richmond area. Most of the fun is located in the central city area around VCU, as they have been transforming the RVA for some time now.

Sports-wise, well, we have the VCU Rams Men's Basketball Team, who made a record by going to the very first "First Four" to the "Final Four" and so far the only team that played 6 games in the NCAA Tournament not to make it to the Championship. PLUS, they own the state record for consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances at 7. And we have Richmond Flying Squirrels, a Minor League Baseball team that has the best attendance in their conference. Additionally we tend to hold some professional Golf tournaments; arena football, random bike races, as well as some DII Football with Virginia Union University and mediocre D1 football team with ur...

Frankly, I live just outside of the city limits in the north, and can get to just about anywhere in the city within 15 minutes; including the Airport and Short Pump, which are both in Henrico County, and have a lot to offer.

And while we have the occasional flood down here it's nothing like Greenville, which is basically a bowl located below sea-level that fills up even during the simplest storms (I have family and friends that went to ECU so I'm somewhat familiar to the area, and it's feel). Our floods are mostly going toward the River.

I hope you have a good time here in the RVA, and if you're lookin' for a new home, as a Pirate, you'll feel welcome here...

7. SpiderRAM

SpiderRAM Legend Top Member

There are also a few rooftop hotel bars with incredible views of the city. The Graduate and The Quirk.

8. ECU

ECU New Member

I'm passing through on my way to DC. I was out in Richmond a few years ago not knowing anything about the area I just plugged in a couple bars on my phone and ended up around the 18th street area I believe at some Irish Bar and a Cigar bar. Neither were my speed especially the smoking one but there weren't many options in that area

A couple of weeks ago I was out in Philly and ended up talking to a guy from Richmond so I mentioned my experience in Richmond and he told me to check out the "Phantom". I have since figured out he was probably referring to the fan district researching it a little better this time.

Anyway it looks like a cool area with a lot of bars in walking distance and the city was stunning coming in on 95 over the river, so I thought I would give it another chance being better researched this time. It looked like it had a lot to offer and even my first time there I figured I just didn't know where to go.

I like to detour and stop at places I haven't been and stay a night and check out the nightlife, usually check out some historical site or scenic area by day.

RowdyPkunk likes this.