Rick Barnes Out at Texas

sjhawk13

Top Member
Feb 6, 2014
Texas is a better job than both UCLA and Illinois.

I wonder who their first choice is. Based on geography alone it'd be Marshall n

Jun 17, 2013
This is a whole nother animal: Texas has unlimited $$$, resources, excellent academics, in a very nice city, huge recruiting talent pipelines and in a power conference. If Texas ever gets it turned around, they'll be title contenders instantly.

On the flip side, football is KING, they have a major booster Red McCombs who didn't approve Charlie Strong being hired, expectations would be through the roof and Shaka wouldn't have control of the AD. Also, it'd sting a ton for Shaka to walk away from the practice facility that will be finished this fall.

I think Gregg Marshall ultimately takes the job but I don't think we can shrug this rumor off too easily.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
How do you know he doesn't covet it? Did he tell you he doesn't?
If UCLA wasn't good enough after a FF run, TX isn't going to get the nod. Think about it...

Only if we see 3 guys de-commit in short order will we know. Also, Shaka, as we all know, is a man of his word and he's given all of these new guys his word. That's good enough for me.

Can't wait for the new lame thread...

goramsgo

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I hate to say it, but Shaks would have to give Texas stong consideration. Can't blame him if he took it if offered.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Shaka makes the NCAAs 5 straight seasons, got us to a final four, lost in the first round and most fans can deal with it.

Barnes made the NCAAs 16 out of the 17 years he was there, got them to a final four. This year he lost in the first round of the tournament and was let go after fans were calling for his departure for several years now.

Sounds very appealing to me (sarcasm).

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
ESPN doesn't know. Noboby on these boards knows. Only people that know the jobs Shaka is interested in is only known by Shaka and his wife. Shaka said so himself. Would not be surprised if this is one of those jobs, however. The phone does ring, lets not delude ourselves that he will say no to all of them.

Reactions: VCU Heel and VCU<3

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
This is a whole nother animal: Texas has unlimited $$$, resources, excellent academics, in a very nice city, huge recruiting talent pipelines and in a power conference. If Texas ever gets it turned around, they'll be title contenders instantly.

On the flip side, football is KING, they have a major booster Red McCombs who didn't approve Charlie Strong being hired, expectations would be through the roof and Shaka wouldn't have control of the AD. Also, it'd sting a ton for Shaka to walk away from the practice facility that will be finished this fall.

I think Gregg Marshall ultimately takes the job but I don't think we can shrug this rumor off too easily.
What rumor? Just because ESPN wants some drama, it's a rumor? They just announced Barnes leaving this afternoon. I'll take Shaka's word that he's committed to this program over any rumor.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
If UCLA wasn't good enough after a FF run, TX isn't going to get the nod. Think about it...

Only if we see 3 guys de-commit in short order will we know. Also, Shaka, as we all know, is a man of his word and he's given all of these new guys his word. That's good enough for me.

Can't wait for the new lame thread...
And how do you know he gave them his word?

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
ESPN doesn't know. Noboby on these boards knows. Only people that know the jobs Shaka is interested in is only known by Shaka and his wife. Shaka said so himself. Would not be surprised if this is one of those jobs, however. The phone does ring, lets not delude ourselves that he will say no to all of them.
Kinda like predicting snow everyday. Yeah, eventually it will snow.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM