RIP BO JONES DAD

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Papa Bo was such a nice man. He helped out with the VCU basketball camps when my oldest son attended. He was awesome with the kids! RIP Papa Bo.

Reactions: Ululating Daddy
Apr 28, 2009
Coach Jones was a great man. I loved this guy. He was my gym teacher at Huguenot and also attended the same church I did. He would always have something positive to say and truly cared about the people around him. RIP Coach.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
I remember Hugenot for two things. VCU great Bo Jones and I saw Harlem Globetrotter great Curly Neal! I think I lit them up for 40 while they sat on the pinewood.

Jan 16, 2020
I remember Hugenot for two things. VCU great Bo Jones and I saw Harlem Globetrotter great Curly Neal! I think I lit them up for 40 while they sat on the pinewood.

Don't understand the Curly connection. The bald, ball-handling sensation did live in South Richmond for a spell, so perhaps that was it. I know Curly played some outdoors at Westover Playground before the City removed the backboards. One more thing: you might add Gerald Henderson among "things to remember" Huguenot by.

Reactions: share the ball

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
You are right about the three things I should remember about Hugenot. And I love the Pony Pasture! But yeah Curly Neal had a dribble exhibition for those in attendance, maybe it was a church gym. I dont think there has ever been a better dribbler,

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2009
I had one of the best periods of my life at that school. In 1979 my freshman year we became The JHW Trojans...and the track dynasty began. The city schools dominated everything in the area during that period. JHW also got a state championship in basketball... but that's a different story

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020
Bo was the JHW assistant under Bob Booker during the 79-85 complex era .... the other assistant was Jay Johnson .... when the complex system ended, Booker became coach at Wythe, Jones at Huguenot and Johnson at TJ. For those few unaware, the other City complex schools were Armstrong-Kennedy Jaguars and Marshall-Walker Cavaliers. JHW was called Trojans because football coach Frank Butts was a Virginia State University Trojans' football alumnus. Frank was very influential.

Reactions: SPI-DA1
Apr 28, 2009
Bo was the JHW assistant under Bob Booker during the 79-85 complex era .... the other assistant was Jay Johnson .... when the complex system ended, Booker became coach at Wythe, Jones at Huguenot and Johnson at TJ. For those few unaware, the other City complex schools were Armstrong-Kennedy Jaguars and Marshall-Walker Cavaliers. JHW was called Trojans because football coach Frank Butts was a Virginia State University Trojans' football alumnus. Frank was very influential.
Actually JHW existed until 1986. The mascot name was voted in by the students who also voted for the school colors. I remember being at Albert Hill Middle School going into an actual voting machine to do exactly as described. Frank Butts picked the logo for the helmets because he was a Steelers fan. The letters JHW appear in a cluster of 3 diamonds like that on the Steelers helmet.

Jan 16, 2020
At Marshall-Walker, coach Richard McFee tried (in vain) to have the name of Rattlers (after Florida A&M). Some within JM felt a Cavalier was a "rich fat white guy on a horse," and it didn't seem to fit. Jaguars was a good cat name for AK since Armstrong was the Wildcats and Kennedy the Kougars.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
At Marshall-Walker, coach Richard McFee tried (in vain) to have the name of Rattlers (after Florida A&M). Some within JM felt a Cavalier was a "rich fat white guy on a horse," and it didn't seem to fit. Jaguars was a good cat name for AK since Armstrong was the Wildcats and Kennedy the Kougars.
What’s a “poor fat white guy on a horse”.....a chevette?