RNN broadcast audio quality question

Ram Jam

Elite Member
Why is the audio quality so horrendous for our home broadcast team? It sounds like the announcers are speaking into bullhorns. Just clipping out anytime they raise their voices in the slightest way.

It can't be that difficult to get decent sound and the way they sound now just makes the presentation seem amateurish.

Last edited:

VCUBusiness

Elite Member
I don’t have an issue with the sound quality on the VCU app. However, I do have times where they cut to commercial and the feed just stops for me and I have to restart it.

Ram Jam

Elite Member
I don’t have an issue with the sound quality on the VCU app. However, I do have times where they cut to commercial and the feed just stops for me and I have to restart it.
It doesn't sound distorted for you?

Why is the audio quality so horrendous for our home broadcast team? It sounds like the announcers are speaking into bullhorns. Just clipping out anytime they raise their voices in the slightest way.

It can't be that difficult to get decent sound and the way they sound now just makes the presentation seem amateurish.
Agreed. It’s a bad look for the presentation of the University. We need to make an investment in improving all aspects of the broadcast quality. Including audio, video, announcers, etc.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
They seemed like they were working on it all game long, but in order to get rid of the audio buzziness they turned the volume way down.

Love2Ram

Elite Member
Insider
No, sounds just like the radio feed did on the other radio apps.
Radio? The complaints about the audio quality on the televised broadcast were going viral tonight on social media. It has been terrible for years now and I find it amazing the school hasn't corrected it. I wouldn't want to run an organization that puts such a low quality product out every time they go to air. It's embarrassing. We should be embarrassed. Hopefully the administration paid attention to the frustration I was seeing tonight.

Ram Jam

Elite Member
Radio? The complaints about the audio quality on the televised broadcast were going viral tonight on social media. It has been terrible for years now and I find it amazing the school hasn't corrected it. I wouldn't want to run an organization that puts such a low quality product out every time they go to air. It's embarrassing. We should be embarrassed. Hopefully the administration paid attention to the frustration I was seeing tonight.
Nice to hear I'm not the only one bothered by it. Honestly I didn't think tonight was any worse than it usually is. It always sucks.

SpiderRAM

Elite Member
Insider
A few seasons ago the “free” water in the Commonwealth Room was warm. It took WEEKS for them to figure out that the fridge wasn’t working. Seems that fixing things isn’t a priority.

A few seasons ago the “free” water in the Commonwealth Room was warm. It took WEEKS for them to figure out that the fridge wasn’t working. Seems that fixing things isn’t a priority.
We’re an art school dammit. We don’t fix things. The new engineering building is for show.

VCUBusiness

Elite Member
Sorry, thought the “in house” broadcast team meant Robby and Rodney. I primarily catch games on Ram Radio so that was my assumption.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
To be fair, other schools that produce their own broadcasts and air them on ESPN+ don't do much better than we do. La Salle cut off their audio feed with one minute left in OT last night. ESPN+ only provides the broadcast, it's up to the schools to provide the equipment and production staff - we just need better of both.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
To be fair, other schools that produce their own broadcasts and air them on ESPN+ don't do much better than we do. La Salle cut off their audio feed with one minute left in OT last night. ESPN+ only provides the broadcast, it's up to the schools to provide the equipment and production staff - we just need better of both.
Audio is important though. I agree that some are awful. La Salle's is pretty bad. The VCU thing is an issue and has been for years. It is a low-grade buzz in the audio. As someone above mentioned, they drop the audio levels to attempt to lower the buzzing but that does not resolve the issue. They need to go in today and up to the master control room to begin finding the issue. Once they can pinpoint the issue they can fix it. Audio is important.