RNN broadcast audio quality question

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Audio is important though. I agree that some are awful. La Salle's is pretty bad. The VCU thing is an issue and has been for years. It is a low-grade buzz in the audio. As someone above mentioned, they drop the audio levels to attempt to lower the buzzing but that does not resolve the issue. They need to go in today and up to the master control room to begin finding the issue. Once they can pinpoint the issue they can fix it. Audio is important.
Don‘t we have a nationally ranked Mass Communications school?

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Does VCU actually produce or "do" any of the so called "in-house" audio/radio or video/TV production? Is it VCU owned audio equipment for radio and/or VCU owned video and sound equipment for the MASN broadcast?
I would think that if it is VCU produced, they would contract that out like they do the IMG broadcasters (is Robbie a VCU employee?).
I don't have any issues with the radio broadcast except I don't use the VCU app as the audio stops every time my phone goes to sleep and then even if I keep my phone awake it still goes out at times. So I use the Audicy app instead.
ESPN+ usually gives me errors a couple times a game where is just stops and I get an error msg, I have to go back to the main ESPN+ screen and restart the game for some odd reason. It least it restarts with the game in progress at the right time....but I usually miss a possession as it takes 10-15 seconds to restart game play.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
To be fair, other schools that produce their own broadcasts and air them on ESPN+ don't do much better than we do. La Salle cut off their audio feed with one minute left in OT last night. ESPN+ only provides the broadcast, it's up to the schools to provide the equipment and production staff - we just need better of both.

Any comparison to La Salle is unacceptable!!! They do have a smoke machine, though, and VCU doesn't. So they have that going for them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

92VCUpikapp

Elite Member
Watching the Rhody vs joes game on ESPN3 now. Their sound is perfect.

Someone at VCU needs to fix our Audio system ASAP. It sucks!

mrA10

Elite Member
It's definitely a cheap soundboard/system or someone that hasn't tried to learn how to work it for 12+ years. Only on the TV side, radio is fine.
Either too quiet or it's way too loud and sounds like someone blasting their cheap stereo in their car with blown speakers.

Audio is important though. I agree that some are awful. La Salle's is pretty bad. The VCU thing is an issue and has been for years. It is a low-grade buzz in the audio. As someone above mentioned, they drop the audio levels to attempt to lower the buzzing but that does not resolve the issue. They need to go in today and up to the master control room to begin finding the issue. Once they can pinpoint the issue they can fix it. Audio is important.
Agreed on all accounts. This amateurish production hurts the image of the basketball program and the university. I've complained to the athletic department several times over the years, but nothing ever changes. Not only does the terrible audio make it difficult to enjoy the broadcast, it mutes the crowd and completely negates the raucous atmosphere at most games. I've paid close attention to the local productions of games at UR, LaSalle and Mason this year. All have much better sound quality and are much more professional than VCU's -- even with some whiney announcers. Our production, quite frankly, makes VCU seem bush league. It might even have a subconscious effect on some recruits. Perhaps better equipment and a more professional production crew could make a huge difference. Is the Mass Communications department involved in any of this? Finally, color commentator John Rothstein needs to go. He's out of his league behind a mike. Stick to writing. My two cents.

rustbolt

Elite Member
The broadcast stream to ESPN+ has been an issue from the beginning! I remember some years ago people were communicating this issue on FB and were told to not complain and be quiet. The production quality on streamed games is absolutely horrendous! This kind of thing can have a serious negative brand impact in perception. It makes the school look juvenile and not up to the standards of being a premier D1 NCAA basketball competitor.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Agreed on all accounts. This amateurish production hurts the image of the basketball program and the university. I've complained to the athletic department several times over the years, but nothing ever changes. Not only does the terrible audio make it difficult to enjoy the broadcast, it mutes the crowd and completely negates the raucous atmosphere at most games. I've paid close attention to the local productions of games at UR, LaSalle and Mason this year. All have much better sound quality and are much more professional than VCU's -- even with some whiney announcers. Our production, quite frankly, makes VCU seem bush league. It might even have a subconscious effect on some recruits. Perhaps better equipment and a more professional production crew could make a huge difference. Is the Mass Communications department involved in any of this? Finally, color commentator John Rothstein needs to go. He's out of his league behind a mike. Stick to writing. My two cents.
I have to say that I did watch the replay last night and it was a solid broadcast. I also watched Rhody and Fordham last night. VCU's broadcast was better in regards to the production. Audio is the issue. I think the main thing with the audio is that it is over modulated. "Tinty" for a use of a non-existent word. Anyway, there is room for improvement but after watching last night in my opinion it was not as bad as it was made out to be.