RTD

I know this has been discussed a million times but I have to vent. VCU has a very good chance to win a tough road victory tonight when they play Saint Bonaventure but you would not know that if you read the Richmond Times Dispatch on-line. On the top of the sports page are articles about UVA Quarterback coming back to play another season, UVA men's hoops hosting a surprising Wake Forest team and VA Tech Women's hoops winning at #16 Duke. When you scroll down to the sports links, VCU is still last after those above articles plus JMU wanting to keep playing in-state rivals in hoops and the record setting UR basketball against (wait for it) Fordham!!!

No Respect. So glad we have this board for real information about our team!

VCURAMIT

Elite Member
Well the "VCU gets a chance at redemption" article was at the top of the front page as breaking news yesterday... for about an hour. Wayne Epps does good work though.

He does a great job, but this is a better game then the UR/Fordham and UVA/Wake Forest.

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
I guess I am so accustomed to the poor coverage of the Rams from previous years that I now enjoy the attention from the RTD and Wayne Epps. It used to be god awful. The likes of Millsaps et al would disparage the program when we were given any attention at all. You just have to remember stuff like Olden Polynice’s scandal getting the headline over a big victory by the Rams or Millsaps calling the VCU Final Four Club delusional. I guess it’s all relative

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
egon.jpg

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
He does a great job, but this is a better game then the UR/Fordham and UVA/Wake Forest.
Hmmmm….Richmond is playing Davidson tonite. I agree that VCU-SBU is the can‘t miss selection, but honestly the battle for the Red Sweater Nursing Home Cup should also be a good game.

Wins by us and DC sets up a monster game on Tuesday!

Dr. Len Reid

Elite Member
I have followed VCU basketball coverage since 1969, my freshman year. I can't speak to TV and radio news coverage over the years, but I followed newspaper coverage of VCU basketball by the Richmond newspapers for over fifty years - read issues for the five years I lived in Richmond, had my parents send the daily sports sections when I lived in various states, and maintained e-papers since first available. From my reading over the years, I have to say the RTD's attention to VCU basketball is pretty good in the last 12 years or so, especially since Epps came on board. Any negative comments about the Millsaps days are spot on as that guy and his colleagues couldn't see beyond the free drinks and food in the Old Boy's Club press boxes. And, back in the the early days of the program, the Rams were not just getting ignored by the RDT, they were getting ignored by Richmond's afternoon paper, the RNL (or as I use to call it, the Richmond News Deleader). Sadly, VCU is always going to be slighted relative to the so-called Power Schools in Virginia, the ACC affiliates, and the darling of the city's long-in-the-tooth press crowd, the stinking Spiders. At the end of the day, it is always the amount of print devoted to FUR relative to the Rams that makes me hot. The remedy is simple - BEAT THE SPIDERS - and remember -THE ONLY GOOD SPIDER IS A DEAD SPIDER.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Hmmmm….Richmond is playing Davidson tonite. I agree that VCU-SBU is the can‘t miss selection, but honestly the battle for the Red Sweater Nursing Home Cup should also be a good game.

Wins by us and DC sets up a monster game on Tuesday!

A Davidson win tonight also sends Mooney scrambling for an NIT invite. :lol:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I have followed VCU basketball coverage since 1969, my freshman year. I can't speak to TV and radio news coverage over the years, but I followed newspaper coverage of VCU basketball by the Richmond newspapers for over fifty years - read issues for the five years I lived in Richmond, had my parents send the daily sports sections when I lived in various states, and maintained e-papers since first available. From my reading over the years, I have to say the RTD's attention to VCU basketball is pretty good in the last 12 years or so, especially since Epps came on board. Any negative comments about the Millsaps days are spot on as that guy and his colleagues couldn't see beyond the free drinks and food in the Old Boy's Club press boxes. And, back in the the early days of the program, the Rams were not just getting ignored by the RDT, they were getting ignored by Richmond's afternoon paper, the RNL (or as I use to call it, the Richmond News Deleader). Sadly, VCU is always going to be slighted relative to the so-called Power Schools in Virginia, the ACC affiliates, and the darling of the city's long-in-the-tooth press crowd, the stinking Spiders. At the end of the day, it is always the amount of print devoted to FUR relative to the Rams that makes me hot. The remedy is simple - BEAT THE SPIDERS - and remember -THE ONLY GOOD SPIDER IS A DEAD SPIDER.

And thank goodness VCU has Wayne Epps as their beat writer and NOT John O'Connor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O'Connor might be the last of the Millsaps cronies still employed by the RTD.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I know this has been discussed a million times but I have to vent. VCU has a very good chance to win a tough road victory tonight when they play Saint Bonaventure but you would not know that if you read the Richmond Times Dispatch on-line. On the top of the sports page are articles about UVA Quarterback coming back to play another season, UVA men's hoops hosting a surprising Wake Forest team and VA Tech Women's hoops winning at #16 Duke. When you scroll down to the sports links, VCU is still last after those above articles plus JMU wanting to keep playing in-state rivals in hoops and the record setting UR basketball against (wait for it) Fordham!!!

No Respect. So glad we have this board for real information about our team!
Their website layout is awful. It usually has to do with when an article is released where it appears. Wayne pumps out lots of VCU stories. Ace was on the front page of the entire paper the other day.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
If we're not above the fold, why bother? Cancel my subscription. And give Wayne a raise!

And thank goodness VCU has Wayne Epps as their beat writer and NOT John O'Connor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O'Connor might be the last of the Millsaps cronies still employed by the RTD.
Actually, Millsaps was kind to us. It was Jerry Linquist that hated us.