Scrimmaging the NCAA National Champions

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
“Beer”? Ha.
I imagine he not crying in his top shelf whatever. I still don’t think he gives a [email protected] what is going on and that’s a shame.
I think he does care......way too much! It’s basically all he has.

Thing is he doesn’t come from money and frankly his fortune was gained on one great ideal and some hard work—-but subsequent to that one huge lightening strike, the only other successful business decision was buying the skins (max leverage at the time) before an absolute explosion of media rights led to sky rocketing values for all franchises (few in the league even saw that happening).

The point is he was neither groomed on high value asset management nor does he have any real sustainable track record of business success like most of the other owners—(e.g...Jerry Jones still makes most of his money investing across the energy sector). His only qualification to be an owner was that he hit the lottery with a good ideal, was a superfan and was able to coordinate a group of investors.

Basically, it’s a Brewster’s Million type of situation....and we all suffer.

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
“Beer”? Ha.
I imagine he not crying in his top shelf whatever. I still don’t think he gives a [email protected] what is going on and that’s a shame.
I think he used to back when he thought he knew something about football.
Too bad Paul Allen wasnt around at the time to show him how to do it.
I feel badly for my redskin fan friends, been a long haul of suck and no end i sight.

May 4, 2012
Imagine how much value their franchise would have if Snyder & Allen weren't idiots.
Probably not that much. He can't grow his TV market without a move and there's no place bigger to move to.
1. Dallas (what have they done lately ?)
2. Patriots
3. Giants (see Dallas)
4. LA Rams

As a business he's doing ok. As a sports team they are terrible. Crazy business.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
I
Maybe so.... but for a franchise that has won 5 Championships (3 in the Super Bowl Era).... They've been mediocre at best since their last super bowl title 1991. In 28 years, they have 3 division titles (99, 2012, 2015) and 3 additional playoff appearances (1992, 2005, 2007). And their last playoff victory was 2005.

Imagine how much value their franchise would have if Snyder & Allen weren't idiots. Imagine if they actually tried to build a winning team, if they actually let their coaches have some control over their team. Look at Seattle, Pittsburgh, New England, New Orleans, Kansas City.... some of these franchises that either have historically always been competitive, or have started to be more competitive in the last decade or so. Most of the coaches in those organizations have a lot more luxury & control over their team than the Redskins coaches.

It was publicly noted that back when the Redskins drafted RG3.... Shanahan did not want RG3, and especially did not wanna give up as much as they did to trade up & get him.... but they did it anyway & how did that work out? RG3 had 1 good year (barely)... got knocked out of the game against Seattle in the playoffs & basically has never fully recovered since. He's lucky to still be in the NFL. And I'm sure Redskins fans can tell you how many other drafts they mismanaged.... going after positions they didn't need or ones that were not as urgent.... and as a result ended up passing on other players.... etc. There's probably a list (a mile longer than the list of Browns QBs) of things that's wrong with that front office staff.
A whole lot of what I bolded in your post.

They gave up a lot for RGIII, true that.
One (well me anyway) could argue that he was potentially mismanaged and was busted up in a game he had no business playing in. Can also argue whose idea it was to play him (management or RGIII or both), I’ve heard things that lean in all directions.

anyhoo... easy to play armchair owner but dang if they haven’t done their share of mind boggling over the years.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Probably not that much. He can't grow his TV market without a move and there's no place bigger to move to.
1. Dallas (what have they done lately ?)
2. Patriots
3. Giants (see Dallas)
4. LA Rams

As a business he's doing ok. As a sports team they are terrible. Crazy business.
As far as Dallas goes.... In the 28 years since the Skins won their last Super Bowl (1991).... The Cowboys have won 3 (92, 93, 95)..... They have 11 division titles, and 14 playoff appearances.... both of which are doubled, if not tripled the number of the Redskins in that time.

Giants have won 2 Super Bowls.... including knocking off the Undefeated Patriots in 2007. Sure they've been mediocre every other year basically.... but I guarantee you if the Redskins were the Giants with 2 Super Bowls in the last 12-15 years including the biggest one (2007-08) beating the undefeated Patriots.... and at least now finally seem to be starting to move on to the future, after drafting Daniel Jones who has played fairly well for a rookie with limited offensive talent around him at the moment.... If the Redskins were in the Giants shoes.... I think their fans tone would be much different, because at least it appears that they have some form of plan for the future. Where as you look at the Redskins.... sure they drafted Haskins... but they also have 2 mediocre QBs (Keenum & McCoy)... and they are still paying the price for the Alex Smith contract after he got very seriously injured last year.... and it appears his career may very well be over.

Plus unlike the Giants.... who clearly had some kind of a plan in place for when Jones was gonna take over..... The Skins are caught in limbo because they haven't put together a plan for him. Is he not going to start at all this year? If so, why bother playing him at all this year? If he is.... when are they going to just throw in the towel for the season & devote the rest of their season to making Haskins better, giving him 1st team reps in practice... etc.

Growing the TV Market aint the problem.... everyone in the VA/MD/DC area is already forced to watch the Skins play on TV, even if they and/or the team they are playing sucked. Like when they played the Dolphins a couple weeks ago.... who the heck wanted to watch that game of 1 team tanking on purpose & the other team who has terrible management? Also it's sad when opponents teams fans are coming into Fed Ex & basically turning it into a road game for the Redskins because no one wants to go to their games anymore.

Anyway.... I'm not a fan of the Redskins, or of anyone in the NFC East.... so what do I care if the Redskins suck?

Feb 21, 2010
Crashed down to 5th most valuable.
...this is the problem... Snyder isn’t going to suffer financially. He continues to strip away any respectability the franchise once enjoyed and still the man is swimming in cash. And given his age, all of this will continue for another 30 years.

It is so daamn sad.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Yeah, it is as regards franchise worth.
Dc has to compete with balto losing millions of viewers.
Funny because I see the Redskins on TV more than I see the Ravens. Probably the only time I see the Ravens on TV around here (not counting TNF, SNF or MNF) is when they play the Steelers just because of that Rivalry history..... but even a few weeks ago when those 2 teams played.... that game was not on TV here in the VA area... instead they had the then winless Redskins (0-4 going into that game) going up against the undefeated Patriots.... no one wanted to watch that garbage. Even Redskins fans didn't wanna watch that because they knew what was going to happen.

And normally CBS shows AFC games, while FOX shows NFC games primarily.... but because the Giants/Vikings were on Fox.... they put Patriots/Redskins on CBS here in the VA Area.

Plus, I'm pretty sure DC/MD/VA area is made up of way more Redskins fans than Ravens fans.... despite the Ravens having a better recent history.... so yeah, they're not really losing viewers to Baltimore.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I haven't really watched or followed the redskins much in years....about the time Snyder bought the skins. Snyder reminds me of a young Jerry Jones who when he bought the Cowboys was always sticking his nose in the team acting like he was the general manager or the coach. But Snyder has never changed. There always seems to be some controversy or something going on the the skins. They can't seem to get....or keep a decent quarterback and it seems players are always coming and going from the team. There seems to be no long term stability or consistency as far as players.

At least that is my view of the skins. But I really don't follow them that closely except for learning a game score every now and then so I could be wrong.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Funny because I see the Redskins on TV more than I see the Ravens. Probably the only time I see the Ravens on TV around here (not counting TNF, SNF or MNF) is when they play the Steelers just because of that Rivalry history..... but even a few weeks ago when those 2 teams played.... that game was not on TV here in the VA area... instead they had the then winless Redskins (0-4 going into that game) going up against the undefeated Patriots.... no one wanted to watch that garbage. Even Redskins fans didn't wanna watch that because they knew what was going to happen.

And normally CBS shows AFC games, while FOX shows NFC games primarily.... but because the Giants/Vikings were on Fox.... they put Patriots/Redskins on CBS here in the VA Area.

Plus, I'm pretty sure DC/MD/VA area is made up of way more Redskins fans than Ravens fans.... despite the Ravens having a better recent history.... so yeah, they're not really losing viewers to Baltimore.
CBS has rights to AFC games, Fox NFC. When there's an interleague game the away team's network televises. That's why the Redskins-Pats was on CBS.

In the past few years, the NFL has started allowing exceptions.... giving Fox and CBS the ability to trade games.

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
That franchise is so abysmal that I personally know at least 3 life long Redskin fans that have actually jumped ship and become fans of some other team. Personally, I’m always eager to point them in the direction of the Ravens. They are a mostly well run organization and it shows up in the standings year after year. They have a great rivalry with the Steelers, kinda like the Redskins had with the Cowboys. Plus they are close enough to RVA to catch a game.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
That franchise is so abysmal that I personally know at least 3 life long Redskin fans that have actually jumped ship and become fans of some other team. Personally, I’m always eager to point them in the direction of the Ravens. They are a mostly well run organization and it shows up in the standings year after year. They have a great rivalry with the Steelers, kinda like the Redskins had with the Cowboys. Plus they are close enough to RVA to catch a game.
Lifelong fan here. I jumped ship in 2013 and am a fan of no team. I refuse to support them in any capacity until he sells.*

* - though it's also getting harder to watch football in general knowing that these guys are going to be drooling and being spoonfed jello by age 55.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Lifelong fan here. I jumped ship in 2013 and am a fan of no team. I refuse to support them in any capacity until he sells.*

* - though it's also getting harder to watch football in general knowing that these guys are going to be drooling and being spoonfed jello by age 55.
*which as much as I love a Mo, this scares me. Not my decision and all that, it’s just scary as all get out. I’m just glad he didn’t get the snot beat out of him growing up. Always going to root for him and Hope nothing bad happens in his career and hope he ends up happy, satisfied and whole.
/Debbie downer /148!lb weakling out on this subject.
Go Mo!

Reactions: BracketForecast

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
*which as much as I love a Mo, this scares me. Not my decision and all that, it’s just scary as all get out. I’m just glad he didn’t get the snot beat out of him growing up. Always going to root for him and Hope nothing bad happens in his career and hope he ends up happy, satisfied and whole.
/Debbie downer /148!lb weakling out on this subject.
Go Mo!
I am more concerned about the guys that have to play against Mo.