Scrimmaging the NCAA National Champions

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
UVa board is saying that they "won," which really isn't of any importance to me at all. Unfortunately, the thing that might be interesting to me is precisely what we will never get: specifics about who played in what situations, with whom, and how they played. If we lost by 10 but Mac and Bones got most of the back court minutes and Ward played a ton, that would be awesome. If we won by 10 but UVa played their freshmen the whole time and we played Evans and IV the whole time, the result is not really all that revealing .

I assume that no one got hurt, so that is positive outcome #1. If the crew got run against the pack line and handled it reasonably well (which seems to be the consensus?) that is positive #2. Until AA posts his iMAX film, we'll just have to guess about more details.

Jul 14, 2011
UVa board is saying that they "won," which really isn't of any importance to me at all. Unfortunately, the thing that might be interesting to me is precisely what we will never get: specifics about who played in what situations, with whom, and how they played. If we lost by 10 but Mac and Bones got most of the back court minutes and Ward played a ton, that would be awesome. If we won by 10 but UVa played their freshmen the whole time and we played Evans and IV the whole time, the result is not really all that revealing .

I assume that no one got hurt, so that is positive outcome #1. If the crew got run against the pack line and handled it reasonably well (which seems to be the consensus?) that is positive #2. Until AA posts his iMAX film, we'll just have to guess about more details.
This is really key. A win during these scrimmages is absolutely meaningless. Coaches use these as chances to play good competition and run situational drills in game. It was a great experience for both squads and hopefully will have us better prepared to start the season.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
All I honestly care is that there were no injuries. Do I hope we put on a good showing? Absolutely. Is a Win nice, sure it is... But not knowing how the scrimmage was organized (clock setup & such), what the game plans of the coaches were, who played x amount of minutes, how loose or strict the officiating was... etc. It's hard to really have a strong opinion regardless of the results.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Honestly, it doesn’t matter. Just hope Coach Rhoades and co. got what they wanted out of it.

Tony Bennett is a beast of a coach and as much as I’m not a fan of UVA, he’s built that program into the best in the state. All credit to him for being a great coach and UVA for finding him.

We’ll be very good this season and UVA will probably be pretty good when it matters too. Hope both programs represent the state well, with VCU being the ones to cut down the nets this season.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Honestly, it doesn’t matter. Just hope Coach Rhoades and co. got what they wanted out of it.

Tony Bennett is a beast of a coach and as much as I’m not a fan of UVA, he’s built that program into the best in the state. All credit to him for being a great coach and UVA for finding him.

We’ll be very good this season and UVA will probably be pretty good when it matters too. Hope both programs represent the state well, with VCU being the ones to cut down the nets this season.
Hey maybe we could beat UVA in the Nat'l Champ game this year? 8-) May be wishful thinking, but would still be cool.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
@RowdyPkunk - I always wondered if you got the "pkunk" from a sound? Dripping faucet, water dripping from stalagmites in cave or skipping rocks in a creek.

?

Sorry for the random question..but it's been in the back of my head for a decade..figured maybe I should ask...one less thing on my bucket list.

Reactions: connell

VCU_Redskins

Top Member
Dec 5, 2013
Rhoades played around with lineups a lot and worked on specific situational strategies. VCU did "alright" but has a lot to work on.

Fine with me... I heard he was having problems finding things to pick on them for during the off-season (coach's nightmare, apparently). At least now there are clear goals and Rhoades has something to yell about.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Rhoades played around with lineups a lot and worked on specific situational strategies. VCU did "alright" but has a lot to work on.

Fine with me... I heard he was having problems finding things to pick on them for during the off-season (coach's nightmare, apparently). At least now there are clear goals and Rhoades has something to yell about.
Is that what you heard or what you are piecing together through the posts?