Scrimmaging the NCAA National Champions

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I was talking to someone this morning that is pretty close to both programs. They said both teams are still 0-0 going into the regular season. Pretty reliable source too!
Man, that's one heck of a take. I'm surprised they got that scoop before Rothstein could.

But in all seriousness, (and this is directed at people concerned about if we "won" or not) if we got what we needed out of this scrimmage then I'm happy. The point of secret scrimmages isn't necessarily to win, it's to find out what works and what needs to be worked on. Now I will say if it was a close game against one of the top defenses in the country, that would be a really good sign that we're much further along now than we were at this time last year.

From the looks of things, based on the bits and pieces that have come out, the defense is definitely still there but we need to work on our shooting, especially from range. That's the info I'm interested in from this, not "oh, we won".

VCU_Redskins

Top Member
Dec 5, 2013
Is that what you heard or what you are piecing together through the posts?
Sorry, it was something I heard. They're very close to it and they haven't told me BS before, but said it was 2nd hand information so take that as you will.

The last paragraph about Rhoades feeling like he was nitpicking was told to me in the off-season by the same person and and I put two and two together to say that if what I heard about the game was true, at least now he has some real issues to work on.

Early this summer they told me Rhoades was trying hard to keep everyone from getting too high on themselves but was excited too because they were looking so good.

Hopefully the game went well enough (and poorly enough) that everyone is still confident but now have concrete things to work on

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Man, that's one heck of a take. I'm surprised they got that scoop before Rothstein could.

But in all seriousness, (and this is directed at people concerned about if we "won" or not) if we got what we needed out of this scrimmage then I'm happy. The point of secret scrimmages isn't necessarily to win, it's to find out what works and what needs to be worked on. Now I will say if it was a close game against one of the top defenses in the country, that would be a really good sign that we're much further along now than we were at this time last year.

From the looks of things, based on the bits and pieces that have come out, the defense is definitely still there but we need to work on our shooting, especially from range. That's the info I'm interested in from this, not "oh, we won".
Yes, win or lose in this scrimmage, if we are hanging with the defending national champions, competing on their level, we are doing well. If we didn't shoot the ball great against one of the top defenses in college basketball, show me teams that do shoot the ball well against them. That probably goes for them too.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
@RowdyPkunk - I always wondered if you got the "pkunk" from a sound? Dripping faucet, water dripping from stalagmites in cave or skipping rocks in a creek.

?

Sorry for the random question..but it's been in the back of my head for a decade..figured maybe I should ask...one less thing on my bucket list.
No that's not it at all.

You know how people shorten their first and/or last name and go by that as their nick name? For Example Dwyane Wade from the Heat goes by D-Wade all the time. Joey Rodriguez goes by J-Rod, Brandon Rozzell goes by B-Rozz… just to name a few.

Pkunk is the same for me.... anyone who knows me in person, knows that.

Reactions: connell

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Yes, win or lose in this scrimmage, if we are hanging with the defending national champions, competing on their level, we are doing well. If we didn't shoot the ball great against one of the top defenses in college basketball, show me teams that do shoot the ball well against them. That probably goes for them too.
I was at the snow game last year and VCU sure did hang with them in that game. I am not surprised it was a defensive battle between two of the best lockdown teams in the nation.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Diakite is NBA-caliber talent so I'm not particularly shocked he had a good day. Other than that it looks like the lock-down defensive game most people would have expected. Yeah, we only scored 44 but we only allowed 52, so I'd call that a success on the defensive end. Probably going to have to work on our shooting again though.
I think there's going to be a similar curve to last season, except the offensive efficiency will start to improve after a few games instead of a few months.

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I have heard several different stories of how things went, all from supposedly reliable sources, and I'd say you'd be entitled to harbor skepticism about each. The common theme is that neither side ran away with anything and no one got hurt. Only positives can come from playing the #11 AP/defending Nat'l Championship squad, at their place, even if you get crushed, and we (apparently) didn't. I would absolutely not place great stock in any individual player evals or point totals you might read.

But that, again, is just me.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Diakite is NBA-caliber talent so I'm not particularly shocked he had a good day. Other than that it looks like the lock-down defensive game most people would have expected. Yeah, we only scored 44 but we only allowed 52, so I'd call that a success on the defensive end. Probably going to have to work on our shooting again though.
I heard that UVA totaled 42 in the scrimmage. Weird.

Reactions: thelonious_chunk