Scrimmaging the NCAA National Champions

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Random thoughts

A scrimmage is very different from an exhibition. It’s more like practice but against players other than your own teammates. Coaches each other for certain specific things they want to “play” against. For example, and remember I was not in attendance but say MR asked TB to run a switching defense where UVA switched on screens. Now, that is not the pack line defense that UVA practices so they are not going to be great at it. It allows us to get a feel for positioning and execution. The score is the last thing that should be considered IMHO

Mar 2, 2014
No that's not it at all.

You know how people shorten their first and/or last name and go by that as their nick name? For Example Dwyane Wade from the Heat goes by D-Wade all the time. Joey Rodriguez goes by J-Rod, Brandon Rozzell goes by B-Rozz… just to name a few.

Pkunk is the same for me.... anyone who knows me in person, knows that.
Paco Kunk?

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
If it happened its good. Just trying to get 4 tix to Niceville right now. @MobileMunchies you and Cat want to come to? We'd love to have you here! #EmeraldCoastClassic that is.
Good luck on those tickets. For the life of me I don't know why this event is staged in a gym that seats 2400. It's not like when we travel to an island and play in a hotel. All the programs for this event have large fan bases and one team is playing in state. Total head scratcher if you ask me.

rva98

Top Member
Mar 20, 2012
Tampa got it exactly right. A scrimmage is not a game or anything close to a game. Coaches are frequently on the court. Instruction is given on the spot, and a possession may be repeated more than once. This is all about teams working on their stuf, seeing who can do what, experimenting with combinations and whatnot - all privately. The coaches have to cooperate a lot to get the most value. I am very pleased that Tony has continued the trend of playing the Rams, and if not playing, scrimmaging in pre-season. You want to scrimmage good teams so that you get the most out of it. The most valuable takeway is the film with the start of the regular season weeks away - really enhances the next set of practices for both teams.

I'm a UVA fan first but a big VCU fan too (season tix for freakin 20 years). This can be a great year for VCU. The Hoos are plugging in a lot of new guys to fill major stars' roles, and the strength of the team will be different.

Hope both kick ass, and it makes be feel good that both of my teams are cooperating and helping each other. Mutual respect is a good thing as opposed to the usual smack talking that doesn't help improvement. TB and Shaka are close, and what I hear on the Hoos side of thing he an MR are good.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
At least from a "score" prespective, that uva fan thing above is BS.
I hope you are correct because unlike Mollen, losing by 8 points in a 50 point game is sort of a shellacking IMO. But then again, it is a scrimmage so who knows what went on. And while some on here are saying that score doesn't mean anything, I have to ask....then why did they keep score?

Ok, shellacking may be a bit to harsh but I sure would call it "pretty close" or "even". But I guess it is all in how we played....if we were up by 8 at three quarters of the way through and Rhoads pulled all the starters and threw in all the freshman, then I get losing by 8 wouldn't make me feel bad.

1997 Ram

Top Member
Insider
Apr 14, 2017
w
I hope you are correct because unlike Mollen, losing by 8 points in a 50 point game is sort of a shellacking IMO. But then again, it is a scrimmage so who knows what went on. And while some on here are saying that score doesn't mean anything, I have to ask....then why did they keep score?

Ok, shellacking may be a bit to harsh but I sure would call it "pretty close" or "even". But I guess it is all in how we played....if we were up by 8 at three quarters of the way through and Rhoads pulled all the starters and threw in all the freshman, then I get losing by 8 wouldn't make me feel bad.
Seems to me that we lost to UVA by 8 last year, with a similar final score. Considering we were up in that game with 5 minutes to play, I wouldn't consider that game a shellacking. Without knowing any more details than I/most of us do, it's hard to have any kind of take away based on the score.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Here's some posts from last years scrimmage.

Probably leaked the box score to brag about "winning" the scrimmage. Last year when VCU went to Georgetown nothing was released. Some people said stuff like VCU won the 1st half and Georgetown won the 2nd half. Since no box score was released last season I doubt VCU would break trust and do it this year. Not sure yet if I have have anyone in the secret scrimmage this year. Last time VCU hosted UVA I had two people that sat in but they were told to keep it quiet. They gave me cryptic information. Probably the same this year but we get to see the team a week from today.
I wouldn't call it "close", but VCU did VERY well. Not gonna say what I know, but yeah, be PROUD
Heard Mike Gilmore had a good game, which is nice to hear. I was really impressed with how active he was in the B&G game, but wasn't the most efficient night for him during that one, so nice to hear he had himself a game today (although don't know the numbers on that). Also heard Corey played well and was a key part for us offensively. I think he's got a chance to be a real breakout player in this year's A-10, but time will tell.
Update: heard we actually lost by 3 points, but were apparently up fairly big in the second half.

Not sure of how minutes or personnel or whatever effected that, but that’s what I last heard. Obviously the two key variables missing were Evans for us and Akinjo for them. They are a kenpom preseason top-60 team after a so-so year last year, but return a ton from a team that had some really good wins in Big East play.

Note: Hoyas finished 94th on kenpom last season, which would’ve been 4th in the A-10. KP has them starting this season at No.57, which is higher than any A-10 team currently. Point being, if we’re competing with that, we should do well in conference, especially when our best player returns.

Heard De’Ri went off, but we’ve seen he’s capable of that.

I really think the key for us is gonna be getting Evans back on the court. Age wise he’ll basically be a senior and is just a deadly scoring guard who draws a ton of fouls, a skill that is just huge. He is statistically better than Eric Maynor and Treveon Graham at that skill, so we need that on the court.

I’m convinced VCU is going to surprise some A-10 fans this season and that we should definitely taking a step forward, but time will obviously tell on that. Gotta put it together on the court when the games count.

Can’t wait for Tuesday.
I hear what you're saying, but look at this quote from a VCU article in today's Times Dispatch:
"The team experimented with different combinations against Georgetown, too, including playing the three freshmen (P.J. Byrd, Vince Williams and KeShawn Curry) on the floor together. Tuesday’s exhibition will be treated as a real game, Rhoades said. Twenty-two practices in, the Rams are ready for it."

My point is that some people seem to get worked up over the final score of a closed scrimmage. These scrimmages, as the quote above suggests, include coaches experimenting with things they wouldn't try in a real game. The three freshmen would most likely NEVER see the floor at the same time in a game this year, unless we were either up or down by 20+ late OR everyone is injured. In every sport, exhibition games and scrimmages are often used for experimentation or to run very basic things (NFL preseason, for example). Thus, the final score in a closed basketball scrimmage or an NFL preseason game is basically meaningless.

That said, tonight's result is more important because we are the more talented team, and we are treating it in a more serious fashion. However, whether we win or lose tonight doesn't impact our season at all.
I think, because of the staff's preference, you can't really glean too much into VCU's scrimmages. They actually keep it a secret.

Oh, and perhaps I passed a D-Brooks reference?

Reactions: HBK

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
We have some people who are just dying to have that
"we beat the NC in a scrimmage at their place"
in their back pocket if they need it this year.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
We have some people who are just dying to have that
"we beat the NC in a scrimmage at their place"
in their back pocket if they need it this year.
I don't know how much of it is that, as it is that it's basketball season again Finally. Everyone is ready for games to start, everyone is anxious to see what this team can and will do this year.... and people just wanna know how we did against UVA. They wanna know how the young guys looked. Did Corey & Vince play, if so, how did they look coming off injuries that kept them out of B&G game.

We all know that these secret scrimmages don't count in the W-L columns, and the results of it are not necessarily indicative of whether this will be a good year, or bad year, for VCU Basketball.... especially when in these secret scrimmages... the games may not exactly be played the exact same way that a real game would be. Meaning, shorter halves, a rolling clock maybe, maybe stricter foul calls, more or less timeouts than a normal game... plus we don't know what the rotations looked like. Maybe both teams decided to use their underclassmen more than their upper classmen.

Who knows.

RAM_IT

Top Member
Aug 19, 2013
Exactly!

1. Us rabid fans are anxiously anticipating any ounce of info on how the team is doing

2. VCU tends to be a slow starter and does not have a great track record of winning games early vs solid competition. This year really should be different and most of us want to see some fruits from having many seniors/older guys and a coach in year 3. If a team with lots of turnover from last year and a much younger roster is beating the guys this early, it could be a bad sign that there is just a talent gap between big programs and us "Mid Majors". Sure its a scrimmage but what else do we have to talk about? :)