Scrimmaging the NCAA National Champions

Who_Dat_Ninja

Top Member
Dec 3, 2016
I mean you gotta expect a slow start offensively for any team in any sport. Offense is always something that takes a little while to gel. When people say "Defense Travels" it's because its true. Anyone can always show up and play defense, anywhere and any time... Because it all goes back to hustle and intensity, these things we have direct control over. I always knew that when my shot wasn't falling I could always at least play hard defense, and sometimes this would get you back in the game even with a broken jumper.

A talent like Diakite is one of those guys thats going to get his buckets regardless. So I'm not shocked he led all scorers.

But I think we have a few guys that should be able to open up the floor with some good shooting this year... And I'm sure they were all well aware of the lack of shooting from last year, so it sounds like everyone hit the gym in the offseason to work on the jumper. Wouldn't expect to light up any scoreboards too early in the season, but I think we will get there.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Exactly!

1. Us rabid fans are anxiously anticipating any ounce of info on how the team is doing

2. VCU tends to be a slow starter and does not have a great track record of winning games early vs solid competition. This year really should be different and most of us want to see some fruits from having many seniors/older guys and a coach in year 3. If a team with lots of turnover from last year and a much younger roster is beating the guys this early, it could be a bad sign that there is just a talent gap between big programs and us "Mid Majors". Sure its a scrimmage but what else do we have to talk about? :)
If VCU wants to be considered a serious program, they need to start winning some of those early games or make consistent second/third weekend runs in the NCAA.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I’m most curious about whether Vince and Corey played. If we had a close game against UVA with either or both of them out, then that’s impressive. And if Diakite only had 15 points when 2 guys with size were out for us, then that’s not really an impressive showing for him.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
It's a scrimmage. It really doesnt mean anything. It's like the the last preseason nfl game. All that matters is november 6th.

Reactions: ISwamRam

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Good luck on those tickets. For the life of me I don't know why this event is staged in a gym that seats 2400. It's not like when we travel to an island and play in a hotel. All the programs for this event have large fan bases and one team is playing in state. Total head scratcher if you ask me.
2400 in the stands, but 2.4 million watching on TV. Obviously a “made for TV” event.

Reactions: MobileMunchies

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I've got family down there in Niceville I haven't seen since I was a kid, and wish I could be going to see this, and them at the same time. I went when I was 19, and met my aunt for the first time in my adult life, but none of my cousins or their many children were there in town at the time.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I’m most curious about whether Vince and Corey played. If we had a close game against UVA with either or both of them out, then that’s impressive. And if Diakite only had 15 points when 2 guys with size were out for us, then that’s not really an impressive showing for him.
I have no actual information (so everything hereafter is unreliable) but I am pretty certain that Vince played. He's been a full go in practices for almost 2 weeks; I can't see why they would hold him out. I have no idea what Corey's status is

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I have no actual information (so everything hereafter is unreliable) but I am pretty certain that Vince played. He's been a full go in practices for almost 2 weeks; I can't see why they would hold him out. I have no idea what Corey's status is
Since neither played in the Black& Gold game about one week earlier, it seems at least possible that one or both didn’t play Sunday.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Since neither played in the Black& Gold game about one week earlier, it seems at least possible that one or both didn’t play Sunday.
In the video (Coach Brunt's video) that VCU sent out today I saw Douglas on the court practicing and Williams in the background on the treadmill.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Is this the earliest negative comments EVER? Heckin heck, guys, why don't you jsut sell your season tickets and go to some redskins games, with those attitudes.
Said another way....

“I’ll take your negativity and top it with an obnoxious judgement laden attack for no reason”

Reactions: Bridgewater83