Sean Gone

Mar 15, 2011
Good for Sean. As long as Vince stays healthy and on his trajectory, there was little question that he was going to surpass Mobley. Vince Williams had an incredible freshman season. If he plays at that level or higher he's going to be the best player on the team when he's a junior. the writing was on the wall for sean. he'll make a nice role player for UCF. on we go

Reactions: SWV

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
LOL I wish him the best but this feels like KD leaving OKC for Golden State. Very crude analogy for sure, the only real parallel is leaving to join a team that ended your season. Just feels similar on a visceral level.

UCF is close to home, in the AAC which is at least comparable if not a little better than the A-10, with good TV exposure as part of a program on the rise in the AAC. He did well to land there. Hope he gets what he wants to out of his college experience there.

We’re more than fine here and Sean will probably be fine at UCF. At this point I just want him to graduate for our APR but I’m betting that won’t be a concern.

It’s good to put this question to rest. Now we can focus on the guys that want to be here.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
LOL I wish him the best but this feels like KD leaving OKC for Golden State. Very crude analogy for sure, the only real parallel is leaving to join a team that ended your season. Just feels similar on a visceral level.

UCF is close to home, in the AAC which is at least comparable if not a little better than the A-10, with good TV exposure as part of a program on the rise in the AAC. He did well to land there. Hope he gets what he wants to out of his college experience there.

We’re more than fine here and Sean will probably be fine at UCF. At this point I just want him to graduate for our APR but I’m betting that won’t be a concern.

It’s good to put this question to rest. Now we can focus on the guys that want to be here.
I feel like minutes that Vince will now get along with some more spot minutes for the freshmen will be beneficial in the grand scheme. It will be fun to watch them develop as they progress into bigger roles in the future.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
This idea that Sean was losing minutes as the season progressed is bunch of crap.

Go look at the game log.

Sean averaged 19.9 mpg during the season, they increased Jan to Feb 2019 (19.71 to 22.8 mpg) during the season. That's a 3 minute increase.

During the 12 game winning streak. he averaged 21.9 mpg.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009

Yeah a couple people I talked to, said the same thing in terms of the KD comparison.... only difference is I don't see UCF winning the Nat'l Title anytime soon.

Obviously there's a lot of other places he could've gone in Florida, but this was probably the best place he could've landed where he's gonna get meaningful minutes right away. FGCU is a fairly good school but definitely a step down.... and I definitely didn't see him going to one of the Big 3 Florida Schools & making an impact right away (UF, FSU, Miami).

I wish him nothing but the best at UCF.

And Yes, now the situation has resolved itself.... and now we can focus on our guys.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This idea that Sean was losing minutes as the season progressed is bunch of crap.

Go look at the game log.

Sean averaged 19.9 mpg during the season, they increased Jan to Feb 2019 (19.71 to 22.8 mpg) during the season. That's a 3 minute increase.

During the 12 game winning streak. he averaged 21.9 mpg.
I think it was more about the production in those 21 minutes and how Vince Williams showed versatility in his time on the court. Would have been nice to have both but Mobley decided he did not want to remain. It is interesting that he will probably have the same role at UCF but it is closer to home. His father seems to have always been a big supporter of that program.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
I think it was more about the production in those 21 minutes and how Vince Williams showed versatility in his time on the court. Would have been nice to have both but Mobley decided he did not want to remain. It is interesting that he will probably have the same role at UCF but it is closer to home. His father seems to have always been a big supporter of that program.
Versatility yes. Production no. Vince and Sean are very different players and provide different asseta to the lineup.

If it were completely about production, Sean's
minutes would have diminished as the season progressed; his minutes in increased roughly 15% as the season progressed.

rskills

Top Member
Sep 2, 2016
Why is anyone surprised that he transferred? If I’m not mistaken, then I believe he attended 3 high schools in 4 years. Transferring seems to be in his and his family’s nature. Doesn’t make them bad people at all. They just seem to be perpetually looking for a better fit.
This is exactly the explanation I heard right away when it happened...and agreed, not bad people for it, but some people can never sit tight, or always hoping for greener grass...

Reactions: RamBo

SWV

Top Member
Jan 10, 2016
Question—does sitting a year when transferring apply to both walk-on and scholarship players?

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Versatility yes. Production no. Vince and Sean are very different players and provide different asseta to the lineup.

If it were completely about production, Sean's
minutes would have diminished as the season progressed; his minutes in increased roughly 15% as the season progressed.
Production? Mobley averaged 4pts a game and lead the team in turnovers....I think we will be fine. More minutes for younger guys on a loaded top 25 team..I'm good

SWV

Top Member
Jan 10, 2016
Yeah he sure seemed like he did on the offensive end. He passed up so many open shots last season, it became a theme. I don't judge him for it, but I saw it. I don't think I'm alone.
I noticed it after he hurt his knee.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I noticed it after he hurt his knee.
Yep, he wasn't the same player after that. Really sucked, because I was a big Sean is gone step it up last season guy.

I didn't know he'd attended 3 different HS programs. There's something about that that kind of bothers me. Too much familial intervention maybe ?

Reactions: SWV

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Yep, he wasn't the same player after that. Really sucked, because I was a big Sean is gone step it up last season guy.

I didn't know he'd attended 3 different HS programs. There's something about that that kind of bothers me. Too much familial intervention maybe ?
I don’t have a problem with it. He was able to move up to playing at one of the best high school programs in the country. He played the best competition possible and got a lot of exposure. This isn’t like high school basketball was when most of us were growing up.