Sean Gone

Jul 14, 2011
of course we went to the final four by bombing away from three ...but please continue.
We went to the final four from having a good inside out game. People seem to forget that Skeen was probably the best low post man we have seen. Being able to score from the inside drew more attention and pulled defenders from the 3 pt line.

Reactions: VRam

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
We went to the final four from having a good inside out game. People seem to forget that Skeen was probably the best low post man we have seen. Being able to score from the inside drew more attention and pulled defenders from the 3 pt line.
Right, we platooned a host of bigs on pick and rolls for easy dunks and layups. (See Purdue's game.

Get a recap of the VCU Rams vs. Purdue Boilermakers basketball game. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=310792509
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
he also shot over 40% from the three point line that year...

Reactions: PRock
Jul 14, 2011
he also shot over 40% from the three point line that year...
And.... The reason that we had such good looks on the outside is that teams had to be honest and defend the inside. If we arent attacking the paint then teams can play tighter on the perimeter and force us into much more difficult shots. OP was stating that we need to follow that strategy of going inside out. Your reply made it seem that you believe we should just continue to let 3s fly because us shooting the 3 well got us to the final four once. Neglecting the face that the team you are referencing was only able to do that because we had an established inside game.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
And.... The reason that we had such good looks on the outside is that teams had to be honest and defend the inside. If we arent attacking the paint then teams can play tighter on the perimeter and force us into much more difficult shots. OP was stating that we need to follow that strategy of going inside out. Your reply made it seem that you believe we should just continue to let 3s fly because us shooting the 3 well got us to the final four once. Neglecting the face that the team you are referencing was only able to do that because we had an established inside game.
Nobody really feared (or respected) our inside or outside game per se. Our inside/out balance was fine but nothing special. We had lost 5 of the last 8 heading into the dance.

Fortunately, we just got (collectively) hot from long distance during an historic five game stretch in the dance where opponents probably didn’t take us that seriously. A bunch of seniors, fueled by doubters, given a second chance, and with nothing to lose, started firing away from distance and hitting. 53-121 (44%). Practically unprecedented against that level of competition. Nearly 11 threes a game for those 2.5 weeks. It was contagious. Confidence grew exponentially. The offensive side of the floor really opened up as a result. Until we came back down to earth in the cavernous dome in Houston (Butler).

Was a great ride! Long distance shooting is the great equalizer (and confidence booster/energizer).

Quite frankly, it was Skeen’s and Rozzell’s extended range and accuracy from deep that helped bewilder those five opponents. Also, the ability of Burgess and Skeen (our 4 and 5) to step out and stroke the trey at a high clip was a big differentiator during that stretch.

No question that a balanced attack is always best but, in this case, we just had a bunch of experienced kids that all got hot/confident at once (rare), not necessarily as a result of sagging defenses.

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Nobody really feared (or respected) our inside or outside game per se. Our inside/out balance was fine but nothing special. We had lost 5 of the last 8 heading into the dance.

Fortunately, we just got (cumulatively) hot from long distance during an historic five game stretch in the dance where opponents probably didn’t take us that seriously. A bunch of seniors, fueled by doubters, given a second chance, and with nothing to lose, started firing away from distance and hitting. 53-121 (44%). Practically unprecedented against that level of competition. Nearly 11 threes a game for those 2.5 weeks. It was contagious. Confidence grew exponentially. The offensive side of the floor really opened up as a result. Until we came back down to earth in the cavernous dome in Houston (Butler).

Was a great ride! Long distance shooting is the great equalizer (and confidence booster/energizer).

Quite frankly, it was Skeen’s and Rozzell’s extended range and accuracy from deep that helped bewilder those five opponents. Also, the ability of Burgess and Skeen (our 4 and 5) to step out and stroke the trey at a high clip was a big differentiator during that stretch.

No question that a balanced attack is always best but, in this case, we just had a bunch of experienced kids that all got hot/confident at once (rare), not necessarily as a result of sagging defenses.

Again, our open looks were set up by our dribble penetration and points in the paint.

Watch the full Purdue's game and listen to the commentary. It wasn't one inside player. It was collective set of bigs and wings that were able to finish at the rim.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
You’ve got a lot of time on your hands, my dude.
Admittedly, I have become obsessed with vcu recruiting.

I've got all my social media hooked up to all the recruits so I know what is going on with each recruit.

I always tell myself I will not look at social media today. I break that promise to myself in 5 minutes.

It's become unhealthy.

I probably need an intervention.?

Have any of you guys had the problem of being over involved with vcu basketball?

If so, what did you do to curb or moderate your activity?

Looking for suggestions.

Last edited:

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Admittedly, I have become obsessed with vcu recruiting.

I've got all my social media hooked up to all the recruits so I know what is going on with each recruit.

I always tell myself I will not look at social media today. I break that promise to myself in 5 minutes.

It's become unhealthy.

I probably need an intervention.?

Have any of you guys had the problem of being over involved with vcu basketball?

If so, what did you do to curb or moderate your activity?

Looking for suggestions.
What’s wrong with it? Seems like a good hobby to me! And I appreciate all of your (excited) information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?